Hi,

So for the past 2 days kaspersky keeps giving me a message about some GDPR info, can't remember exactly what it was about but i read a bit on the web i think.

My question is will i be obligated to install some 3rd party software besides kaspersky antivirus which im currently using ?

So i guess what i'm asking is will i be obligated to install some 3rd party software or agree to some new terms of use in order to keep using KAV just as i have been for more than 10 years ? Or was that pop-up just a notification from KAV about the GDPR thing ?

It looks like a notice to upgrade to Kaspersky version 2019.  Users in Europe are receiving this notification. 

Please see the second pinned topic for instructions to download and install Kaspersky version 2019. 

Uninstall Kaspersky version 2018 > reboot, then install Kaspersky version 2019. 

After you install Kaspersky version 2019, activate with your current activation code > do a databases update > reboot.

Any better with the current version?

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Hi - I also got that message-in-a-box about downloading a GDPR compliant version of Kaspersky. Every few days, and once I decided it wouldn't go away I downloaded it. about 180Mb, 10 mins to install from downloaded file, and a restart followed by the usual update.

It looks fine, with a few comments ...

There was little explanation of what was being installed
The download location was straightforward to  use, but it had the look and feel of an installation from scratch (but it has kept most of what I want) ...
... some settings are worth checking (SafeMoney was disabled for some reason and involved allowing K to change another system setting somewhere)
... I use Firefox and for some reason, in SafeMoney mode the first time only, it opened and displayed Firefox's security advisory page in a separate tab

I'm still using KAV 2015 for a few years now and have had no problems with it, that's why i thought i wait a few versions before upgrading.

Is there any problem if i don't upgrade ?

Will the application in this case KAV 2015 stop function as it should ?

I'd rather wait for my current license to expire and upgrade when i buy the next license that's why i'm asking.

The reason i was asking is because i'm still using KAV 2015. And yes i know it's an older version etc., but i'm perfectly happy with it so far.

Also i'd rather avoid upgrading now to whatever is the latest version 2018, 2019 or whichever one it is because i still have my remaining license active, i'd just rather upgrade when i purchase a new license. In over 10 years i've been using KAV i've only actually had to reinstall OS only 2-3 times and newer versions didn't always bring major changes. Is anything actually radically changed in version 2019 ?

So that's why i was asking, If i DON'T upgrade now can i still use KAV 2015 ? I mean will KAV 2015 still function as it should ?

From my experience the phrase " If it's not broken don't fix it " always seems to work better in most situations. :lol:

I also received this message (screenshot attached) and followed the instructions to download the file, thinking it would just update my KIS 18.0.0.405(h) to comply with GDPR

It downloaded a 2441KB file named  startup.exe  which at first I thought would just add the necessary privacy statements to my software, saving too much hassle in the installation process, but then noticed the file descrition KIS(19.0.0.10088.0.1248.0(a)

Must admit my heart sank as this means a going through the whole procedure of uninstalling KIS 2018 and then to install the 2019 version :o

KIS 2018 is working just fine. Is it necessary to upgrade to 2019 right now because of these GDPR regulations?

KIS GDPR Download notification.JPG

I received the same message this morning and activated the update. Unfortunately it slowed my browser (Firefox) to a crawl. Pages that would normally load in seconds took over a minute e.g. BBC weather.

I've had to uninstall it and re-install version 18.0.0.45.

My advice is to leave this update well alone until Kaspersky  irons out the glitches.

That's what i keep asking !

Will someone please give us an answer already ??

Are we obligated to install version 2019 ??

Some people do not wish to do this. If we do not want to upgrade can we still use our current versions of KAV or KIS with them functioning properly and as they should ? We can upgrade at a later time.

Edited by mike_89

Hi Lowton_red and Gnibblett - it did download over 150Mb of data, but the installation seemed to be an "in situ" upgrade, because I didn't do any uninstall, and it took no more than 10 mins, with few (if any, can't recall any) config-style questions. If you're unsure, then wait for Kaspersky to confirm, and there is too little by way of info and guidance, but I haven't found anything detrimental in it bar the time taken, and some refining of config as my prev post.

After reading your experience  Lowton_red  I think I will leave well alone at the moment and wait till Kaspersky irons out the glitches. 

v2019 is the only one that is GDPR compliant. KL made an effort to release it as soon as possible. However, what you install on your machine is your choice of course.

Whizard thanks for replying, but my question was if some of us do not want to install version and 2019 and continue with whichever version we have, will the version we have installed (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 etc) still function as it should ? Or will it the version we have installed stop functioning as it should begining with some random calendar date like 1st august or 1st september etc. ? What i'm asking is can we still use the version we have and will it still function as it should ?

Sorry for so many questions.

@mike_89

The Answer is simple. KAV/KIS is the second defense for you device (the first is common sense).

The newer the version the better the defense.

Kaspersky won't fix any bugs found in older versions (2015,2016, 2017.. ) but it will continue to update malware files.

Version 2014 is EOL and not supported with updates. Version 2015 will EOL nest year...

https://support.kaspersky.com/support/support_table#home

I'm getting this, too. A few weeks ago I was using KIS 2017, which was then automatically updated to KIS 2018, which in turn installed the (h) update. It's working fine.

Why does there have to be a manual intervention by the user, like having to run a file downloaded from Kaspersky, when in the past the updates from yearly versions have been automatic? If there needs to be user consent, then why not just click a box and let KIS automatically update itself? Will there be an automatic upgrade to 2019 in the future or is downloading and running this startup.exe file now the only way to 2019? I'd rather just wait till an automatic update, like I have done in the past few years of using Kaspersky.

Also, I'm unwilling to install 2019 until some of the issues that it has is ironed out. I'd also appreciate a way of stopping these nagging popups. I'm willing to upgrade to 2019, but once I'm happy that the usual issues with newer versions are mostly cleared up.

Edited by Qew

Regarding GDPR:

Kaspersy was forced to issue an EU version GDPR compliant of KIS/KAS as of Friday May, 25 or CEASE to function in Europe (like other un-compliant services).

GDPR has 3 main point :

1. Notify users about what privacy data is gathered and stored, and explain its use including sharing/selling to 3rd party.

2. A service/ application can only gather personal data required for the service/app to function properly (ex. Kaspersky can't get access to device's camera, contacts,....)

3. A service/app should give the user direct access to ALL his stored personal data including option to delete the data.

Edited by alex5723

11 minutes ago, Qew said:

I'm getting this, too. A few weeks ago I was using KIS 2017, which was then automatically updated to KIS 2018, which in turn installed the (h) update. It's working fine.

Why does there have to be a manual intervention by the user, like having to run a file downloaded from Kaspersky, when in the past the updates from yearly versions have been automatic? If there needs to be user consent, then why not just click a box and let KIS automatically update itself? Will there be an automatic upgrade to 2019 in the future or is downloading and running this startup.exe file now the only way to 2019? I'd rather just wait till an automatic update, like I have done in the past few years of using Kaspersky.

Also, I'm unwilling to install 2019 until some of the issues that it has is ironed out. I'd also appreciate a way of stopping these nagging popups. I'm willing to upgrade to 2019, but once I'm happy that the usual issues with newer versions are mostly cleared up.

Kaspersky has never automatically updated a new yearly full version (only incremental)

Edited by alex5723

alex5723 i did not ask that...

I was asking IF I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL version 2019 can i still use version 2015 and will version 2015 function properly without any problems until i want to upgrade myself ?

Why doesn't anyone answer this question already... i'm not the only one who would like an answer to this.

3 minutes ago, alex5723 said:

Kaspersky has never automatically updated a new yearly full version (only incremental)

Well, then I have a special magic version that went from 2016, then to 2017, then to 2018. I didn't have to do anything, the updates came via Kaspersky's update routine. Once I rebooted my laptop, KIS was updated to the new version.

7 minutes ago, mike_89 said:

alex5723 i did not ask that...

I was asking IF I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL version 2019 can i still use version 2015 and will version 2015 function properly without any problems until i want to upgrade myself ?

Why doesn't anyone answer this question already... i'm not the only one who would like an answer to this.

You can use version 2015 as long as you want and even after 2015 is EOL as it seems you don't regard security very much

Edited by alex5723

3 minutes ago, Qew said:

Well, then I have a special magic version that went from 2016, then to 2017, then to 2018. I didn't have to do anything, the updates came via Kaspersky's update routine. Once I rebooted my laptop, KIS was updated to the new version.

Maybe you are right, never used KIS only KAV for years on years and my KAV never auto-updated to yearly version.

14 minutes ago, alex5723 said:

Regarding GDPR:

Kaspersy was forced to issue an EU version GDPR compliant of KIS/KAS as of Friday May, 25 or CEASE to function in Europe (like other un-compliant services).

GDPR has 3 main point :

1. Notify users about what privacy data is gathered and stored, and explain its use including sharing/selling to 3rd party.

2. A service/ application can only gather personal data required for the service/app to function properly (ex. Kaspersky can't get access to device's camera, contacts,....)

3. A service/app should give the user direct access to ALL his stored personal data including option to delete the data.

Does that mean that 2018 can do all those things because it doesn't ask the user, while 2019 has to ask to do such things? In that case, using 2018, even if not compliant, as long as I'm happy with that, will function fine without restriction. Would I be wrong in thinking that? In that case, if I'm OK with non-compliance, then my 2018 installation won't be restricted?

5 minutes ago, alex5723 said:

You can use version 2015 as long as you want and even after 2015 is EOL as it seems you don't regard security very much

Oh i regard security. What i don't regard is stupidity.

I find it very stupid we have to upgrade each year from one version to another just because kaspersky releases new versions every year. I've been using KAV since 2006 and i only upgraded versions maybe about 5 times. I saw absolutely no difference (in my case at least i don't know about others) except UI changed every year and at some point they aded gamer profile if i remember correctly.

People shouldn't be forced to upgrade just because a new version comes out every year.

I received this message this morning and went ahead with the download and performed an over the top install, which kept all of my settings and took a total of perhaps 10 minutes.

Whilst I had not intended to upgrade to KIS 19 at this time - I normally wait a while I'm pleased I did, it seems so much lighter so far, certainly websites load significantly quicker.

So far so good.

I guess only Kaspersky support can answer the question about continuing to use a non GDPR complaint  version of the program in the EU given the possible legal ramifications.

Thing is, mike_89, I'm not sure if 2015 still gets definition file updates, but if it does, it soon won't. You have to update to newer versions to get these definition updates. You're going to have to update quite soon to continue getting the virus definition files.

I tend to lag behind brand new versions, so until a few weeks ago, I was using 2017. That automatically updated itself to 2018 a few weeks ago, but at least I've now got a more mature 2018. I'm loath to update to 2019, because I consider it a bit too new for my tastes.

20 minutes ago, Qew said:

Thing is, mike_89, I'm not sure if 2015 still gets definition file updates, but if it does, it soon won't. You have to update to newer versions to get these definition updates. You're going to have to update quite soon to continue getting the virus definition files.

I tend to lag behind brand new versions, so until a few weeks ago, I was using 2017. That automatically updated itself to 2018 a few weeks ago, but at least I've now got a more mature 2018. I'm loath to update to 2019, because I consider it a bit too new for my tastes.

Yes, i know that, but i'm not that worried about it honestly. Hell i stayed even more than 6 months with databases out of date just because i didn't have enough money at the time to get a new license and nothing happened. Databases are updated daily yes, but i honestly am curious as to how big the differences are on detecting malware between 2-3 months or even 6.

In over 10 years i've been using KAV i've only had to reinstall my OS (yes from malware) only about 3 times and i was NOT using always the LATEST version of KAV. That should say something about how much database updates actually matter in such a short time (like 6 months or so).

Also, i checked, just out of curiosity on the life cycle of kaspersky products earlier, and right now they say versions 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 are still supported (they're marked all with a green dot). You can google it if you want and you can find the life cycle for kaspersky's products.

Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to start a fight or anything, i like using KAV as much as everyone else but i just don't see it ESSENTIAL to install a new version EVERY YEAR just because a new version is released EVERY YEAR.

Edited by mike_89