marc123

updated Password Manager to v.9.0.0.944 and now all passwords are gone??

Hi everyone,

today I got an info about the new version for Kaspersky Password Manager. I clicked on something like download and install and now alle my passwords are not anymore there when I enter my master password. It says everywhere that I don’t have profiles and no notes and so on. If they are really all gone than I am in big trouble.... :-(

How can that be possible when I just click on update? I didn’t saw any message that I should backup anything or something like that!

Anyone for help please! Thanks a lot

Welcome. Please check your license status and login with KPM  on your My Kaspersky account.

Hi Berny, my license from Kaspersky Total Security is still for 120 days valid. I think that I don’t have a My Kaspersky account? Normally I would check the Password Manager for an account...

Please  try this :

1) Login on My Kaspersky account https://center.kaspersky.com  (Forgot Password ???)

2) Check if your KTS license Is available in My Kaspersky 

3) Connect with KPM to your My Kaspersky account to detect your KTS license which will activate the KPM full version and load your passwords.

4) Synchronize KPM

Also , how many passwords did you lose, if you were running the unlimited KPM version then the data vault that contains all your passwords must be available in the Kaspersky Cloud.

Hi Berny, if I log in to My Kaspersky and then go to licenses I see that Kaspersky Total Security is active and is still valid for 120 days.

If I go in My Kaspersky to the tab “passwords” then for every category like websites, apps, pictures and so on it says that I have nothing added until now. So it doesn’t look like that the passwords have been saved to the My Kaspersky cloud. I also can’t remember that I have done something like that.

So but what happens normally when you get the message “new Version for KPM download and install”. If you click on the upgrade button then the password database just gets deleted and replaced by an empty one???

Can you please download and reinstall KPM 9 , once the application is installed you should be prompted by KPM to connect with your My Kaspersky account.

Hi Berny, the setup stops with the message that KPM is already installed.

Can I backup anything before I delete the program? Where is the password database saved? I know years ago there where backups. I even found few but the last file is from 2013 and has the name “backup(2013-7-3 10.3.17).pws”

I contacted the support but they are not a help. If I login to MyKaspersky I don’t get any passwords shown. If I don’t see anything that should mean that I don’t have a backup in MyKaspersky???

Therefore the question is where has the data been saved until last week? It must have been somewhere on my own pc. And what happened to that data when I just clicked the update button? Has it been deleted by the update or is it still somewhere?

Do you have a folder "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Kaspersky Password Manager\Backup\" ?

Not exactly the same but that’s maybe because of German/English?

I have a folder which is

C:\Users\”my username”\Documents\Passwords Database

In that folder there is only the file “default.spdb” which has been last changed in 2014

Instead I have a quite similar folder

C:\Users\”my username”\AppData\Local\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Password Manager

But I am not able to enter that folder. I have to change therefore some security settings.

As you can login on your My Kaspersky account , did you try to Uninstall KPM 9 before  reinstalling ?
At the end of a clean install procedure KMP 9 should promt you to connect My Kaspersky to detect your License and your data Vault.

I will try a clean reinstallation but I would first like to backup the relevant data. Just to make sure that if I still have the correct data that I dont loose it by deleting and reinstalling. Can you tell me which one is important?

You can of course   backup your  data but actually all your passwords are gone ... ?
KPM 9 > Settings > Import/Export.

Sorry I didn’t mean backup in KPM but backup of some files. Maybe the passwords are still in a file which is not correct working with KPM v9. Of course I don’t want to risk losing that file.

What do you think happened to the password file during the update? Did the update program just deleted it? Was it replaced by an empty one? The answer maybe helps what I can do. Maybe I can also try to do a windows system recovery? Or try a program which reconstructs deleted files?

Hi marc123 : While Berny get back to you .. Your idea of perform a "System restore"

to a previous day, before you made your KPM installation, could work >>Next before

uninstall the KPM 18.0.0.538 - Clear the cache of your browser >>Also carry out

a Temporary files cleanup >>Use this tool : https://support.kaspersky.com/general/windows/1161

and reboot the PC at least twice >>next proceed to uninstall the KPM app and on the question

if you wanto save your Data click [Save] to keep all passwords and main settings

when the KPM 9.0.0.944 is installed. Restart the PC when get to normal status

Enter your Master password on the KPM-Main windows and Good luck :lol:

Hi everyone, finally I now have my passwords back after doing the system restore!!! Thanks everyone!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.