kismike

How to stop Webcam Access Blocked Message for Device Census

I have upgraded to KTS2018 from KTS2017. I am running Windows 10. I now keep getting a "Webcam Access Blocked" message from KTS. KTS2017 did not give me this message. The program KTS is complaining about is "Windows\System32\DeviceCensus.exe" which I understand is a standard Microsoft Windows utility which users have no control over. So (a) KTS should not be complaining about this program which is only doing its job and (b) KTS does not appear to give me any way to prevent this message from appearing. When I click on the notification to display the detailed report, there is no further button to (a) tell KTS to not display this warning again or (b) does not provide any way to tell KTS that access should be allowed.

Can you please tell me how to update KTS to prevent this message appearing and ensure you add it to the standard list of programs that are allowed to access the webcam.

Also, if I click the notification message to display the list of "Application Control" messages, KTS is displaying the date in the wrong format. The locale on my PC is UK, but KTS is ignoring this and displaying dates in US format which is very confusing. 

I did and they were most unhelpful. They just said there is no way to stop the messages if you turn on webcam security. They advised me to turn off webcam security protection! I am paying Kaspersky to protect my PC. Their software shouldn't complain about legitimate access. There are a whole host of malware that targets the webcam, so I don't want to turn off this protection.

kismike = If you go to Settings > Protection > Application Control > Manage Applications > filters (uncheck Hide system applications),  search for consus.   You should see the system program DeviceConsus.exe listed.  If you click on it to view all its settings, under Rights tab > Suspicious modifications in the operating system > Access webcam > the hyperlink takes you to this KB ( http://support.kaspersky.com/13295?cid=KTS_18.0&utm_source=interceptor&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=KTS_18.0 ).  In reading the entire KB and checking your hardware, you may find the answer you are looking for.

I'm seeing the same notifications w/ Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 (latest as of today) on Windows 10 10.0.15063

14.09.2017 10.56.31;Application is not allowed to access webcam;Device Census;Device Census;C:\Windows\System32\DeviceCensus.exe;09/14/2017 10:56:31

Both Virustotals and Kaspersky VirusDesk show the file as not malicious. 

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/e7871b2d80b0a67d832fa513aa812c44e6fcc865ad38a64d623b338c08e3ab35/detection

Why is Kaspersky flagging it if it's not malicious?  If it should be white-listed then this is a BUG!

TIA

54 minutes ago, Berny said:

Please submit the file here https://virusdesk.kaspersky.com/
Kaspersky Application Advisor : http://whitelist.kaspersky.com/advisor#search/83569b603bc56c0f16fbd0ff2b63c179

This issue cannot be fixed on this Forum.

Hello Berny,

I did submit it and it claims it is clean.  So does Virustotals. 

I figured it was important to post something helpful other than the other 'advice' people gave above which didn't solve the problem.

I am having the same problem to, I don't want to know that somethings have been blocked from my webcam, I turned it on for that reason.  I wouldn't mind seeing Kaspersky add an option to hide some of the notifications to be honest.

Hello!
Could you please specify, does the issue persist even after you choose to block DeviceCensus process in Webcam notification?

For me it's anything that KTS blocks for the webcam.  I personally don't want notification about system things being blocked, whereas I don't mind having notifications for example if I open skype and haven't removed the block, then I would like like notification.  Not for things that I don't want microsoft using without my permission.

This messages started for me on 03-15-18 after a Windows Autoupdate. All access to the webcam was all the time blocked in windows security option. I had to use Kaspersky to be able to block webcam access. Now it keeps spamming me daily with messages.

Please do NOT remove the block-webcam-access option.

Microsoft obviously lies about that: For statistics about a webcam it does not need to be activated! If they would want statistics they would use a .log textfile! Activating the webcam to get knowledge about its usage only works if you also look through it!

Is there a kaspersky-option to block the build-in microphone?

Edited by Yoter

This Device Census process, is just the windows Feedback Hub its the same thing.

So to disable it in windows 10 go to [Settings] then [Privacy] then look for [Camera] and then look for [Feedback Hub] and turn its access to OFF

image.png.7d220e950fa252948945ec6f5572c919.png

Also you may want to check the [Feedback Hub] and its access to your microphone too...

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.