inv15

KES 10 blocking microphone on Skype only [Solved]

Win7 SP1

KES 10.3.0.6294 AES256

Skype 7.37.0.103

After a Skype update which occurred within this week, KES started blocking the microphone, on Skype only.

1. If i go to Control Panel / Sound / Recording and i speak on the microphone, i see the volume moving.

2. If i go on Skype's options and i do the same, nothing.

3. If i close Skype, disable KES and restart Skype, everything is working fine (volume moving again).

4. If (while everything is fine on step 3) i re-enable KES and go to Skype options, again nothing.

Edited by inv15

Win7 SP1

KES 10.3.0.6294 AES256

Skype 7.37.0.103

After a Skype update which occurred within this week, KES started blocking the microphone, on Skype only.

1. If i go to Control Panel / Sound / Recording and i speak on the microphone, i see the volume moving.

2. If i go on Skype's options and i do the same, nothing.

3. If i close Skype, disable KES and restart Skype, everything is working fine (volume moving again).

4. If (while everything is fine on step 3) i re-enable KES and go to Skype options, again nothing.

Hello.

Does this happen if you disable Device Control in KES?

Thank you.

Hello.

Does this happen if you disable Device Control in KES?

Thank you.

It doesn't seem to have an effect. What does seem to have an effect is the "Application Privilege Control". When i disable this, Skype microphone works. Changing any of its subsettings has no effect though. You have to disable the whole "Application Privilege Control" for Skype microphone to work.

It doesn't seem to have an effect. What does seem to have an effect is the "Application Privilege Control". When i disable this, Skype microphone works. Changing any of its subsettings has no effect though. You have to disable the whole "Application Privilege Control" for Skype microphone to work.

Hi,

Open application control rules and check in what group skype executable file is located, also in additional settings of skype executable file on Exclusions tab setup the following parameters:

Do not monitor application activity

Do not inherit restrictions of the parent process

Do not monitor child application activity

Thank you!

Hi,

Open application control rules and check in what group skype executable file is located, also in additional settings of skype executable file on Exclusions tab setup the following parameters:

Do not monitor application activity

Do not inherit restrictions of the parent process

Do not monitor child application activity

Thank you!

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I found the cause of the problem and what is (perhaps, you'll say) a bug in KES.

When i execute Skype from an Explorer window, it works fine!

I have multiple Skype accounts and in order to be able to connect to all of them, i'm using this tool (SeaSide). When i execute Skype from within this tool, the microphone does not work, even though i have applied all of your suggestions in the previous post (i'm talking especially about the "Do not inherit restrictions of the parent process" one). Since i have checked that, shouldn't everything work fine, even though Seaside is in the "Low restricted" group, and Skype is in the "Trusted" group?

Edited by inv15

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I found the cause of the problem and what is (perhaps, you'll say) a bug in KES.

When i execute Skype from an Explorer window, it works fine!

I have multiple Skype accounts and in order to be able to connect to all of them, i'm using this tool (SeaSide). When i execute Skype from within this tool, the microphone does not work, even though i have applied all of your suggestions in the previous post (i'm talking especially about the "Do not inherit restrictions of the parent process"). Since i have checked that, shouldn't everything work fine, even though Seaside is in the "Low restricted" group, and Skype is in the "Trusted" group?

Try to move this seaside application to the Trusted group and configure same exclusions.

Thank you!

Try to move this seaside application to the Trusted group and configure same exclusions.

Thank you!

I moved it. Configure same exclusions you proposed on Skype to Seaside too? I tried even this, but it still does not work.

I moved it. Configure same exclusions you proposed on Skype to Seaside too? I tried even this, but it still does not work.

Give me some time please, my last post may be wrong...

Give me some time please, my last post may be wrong...

OK, i was not saving the changes in the groups. :o

Final report: if i move Seaside (without applying any additional exclusions) to the Trusted group, Skype works fine.

EDIT: Is this procedure how it is supposed to work though? It doesn't feel right...

Edited by inv15

OK, i was not saving the changes in the groups. :o

Final report: if i move Seaside (without applying any additional exclusions) to the Trusted group, Skype works fine.

EDIT: Is this procedure how it is supposed to work though? It doesn't feel right...

Adding exclusions for incorrectly working programs is a normal behavior. Your problem is solved?

Thank you!

Adding exclusions for incorrectly working programs is a normal behavior. Your problem is solved?

Thank you!

Well, the problem is solved but it doesn't feel right to have to mark as "trusted" a not-so-well-known program just because it launches a known one.

To be more clear, i more-or-less trust Seaside, i've been in contact with its developer about a problem and he was very helpful and polite. My concern is more general. With other applications, this procedure might make me feel uncomfortable, specifically the "Do not monitor application activity" and "Do not monitor child application activity" settings.

Anyway, these are my concerns. The actual problem is solved.

Thanks for the help.

Well, the problem is solved but it doesn't feel right to have to mark as "trusted" a not-so-well-known program just because it launches a known one.

To be more clear, i more-or-less trust Seaside, i've been in contact with its developer about a problem and he was very helpful and polite. My concern is more general. With other applications, this procedure might make me feel uncomfortable, specifically the "Do not monitor application activity" and "Do not monitor child application activity" settings.

Anyway, these are my concerns. The actual problem is solved.

Thanks for the help.

We marked this topic as solved.

Thank you!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.