i9cripple

KIS 2017 - Custom Application Control settings being deleted

Unfortunately this problem still is not resolved with the latest ( C ) patch.

I have no problems with keeping the settings in KIS2016, but with KIS2017 after a reboot the program sometimes (!) loses the custom settings for firewall and scanning directories.

That makes the program unusable for me, so still hanging on to KIS2016... :unsure:

Would love to know when this problem will be dealt with though.

>>Would love to know when this problem will be dealt with though.

By creating a ticket is the official way of getting things resolved https://my.kaspersky.com

I have sent a lot of information to Tech Support months ago, never heard anything about it since...

I sent them the description of the problem and also GSI information, so... ?

Very weird problem: losing custom settings when rebooting sometimes & losing custom settings when exporting configuration.

What are your INC numbers? Are you sure they have not auto-closed due to inactivity??

What are your INC numbers? Are you sure they have not auto-closed due to inactivity??

I have no INC numbers, I have sent the information directly because I was contacted by Technical Support by e-mail / private message (can't rember which it was unfortunately).

But they must have sufficient data by now? We all have the same problem and people have sent in their reports...

I do not work for KL, I am just an application power user. And as such we do not have information on the forums about internal priorities, and when the fix would be released. Only KL personnel / project /product managers know this information and they generally do not request these forums.

The best way to follow up is through official support channels via my.kaspersky.com

Edited by Whizard

Hi all,

Any news about this issue. I still have this problem on KIS 2017 / Win10 64 pro and it's so boring. No patch released !

Please give some (good) information.

Thanks,

Stéphane

Hi all,

some news about my issue. I opened a ticket at Kaspersky support, then, executed several requests from support, and no news from them since one month !!!

Whaou, not very efficient for a security sofware support !

Today, I unsinstalled KIS 2017, then, removed all residual folder/files from Kaspersky. Afterward, I downloaded the "Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products"

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/service

As I have upgraded several version of KIS, I executed the tool several times (fromKIS2015 till 2017).

After reboot, i downloaded the latest KIS 2017 from the K site web and installed it. I set up KIS to ask for actions (=no auto)

I didn't reimport backuped setting,but I started from scratch and now it seems to work. I keep you in touch for eventual remarks/changes.

Stéphane

I opened up a support ticket last week and have been working with their technical support to try and get some good trace logs that shed some light on what is happening. At this point in time if I reboot my system (this happens on every reboot) I will lose any application configuration that I either created myself or any that were auto created and later modified by me. Since this is happening on every system reboot at this point, I was able to turn on the trace feature in KIS 2017 and then recreate the problem. I have uploaded those trace logs to Kaspersky Support and their 2nd level support people are now going over them. I will post back here any useful info I get back from them. To be honest though, I think this is going to end up being one of those fixes where you have to completely remove all traces of KIS from your PC and start all over again from scratch. Even if they do find the problem I think that that is going to be the solution because this appears to only happen to systems that were running an older version of KIS before upgrading to 2017. Systems that either never had KIS on them before installing KIS 2017 or that had an older version completely uninstalled using their uninstall tool and did not have any configuration setting imported into the clean new installation of KIS 2017 are not experiencing this problem.

As I said before I have 5 licenses (one it's being used on my mobile) and upgraded (removed 2016 keeping only the license information and then installed 2017). The 3 Desktops never had this issue. Only the Dell XPS 13 laptop is having the issue. I'm not an expert but I feel that has something to do with Hibernation. What I did now was to disable the Fast Startup after reading the article below and I'm not having problems since then (about 3 days).

"When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular shut down. Since applying new system updates often requires a shutdown, you may not be able to apply updates and turn your computer off. Restart is unaffected, though, so it still performs a full cold shutdown and restart of your system. If a shutdown doesn’t apply your updates, a restart still will.

Fast Startup can interfere slightly with encrypted disk images. Users of encryption programs like TrueCrypt have reported that encrypted drives they had mounted before shutting down their system were automatically remounted when starting back up. The solution for this is just to manually dismount your encrypted drives before shutting down, but it is something to be aware of. (This doesn’t affect the full disk encryption feature of TrueCrypt, just disk images. And BitLocker users shouldn’t be affected.)

Systems that don’t support hibernation won’t support Fast Startup either. Some devices just don’t play well with hibernation. You’ll have to experiment with it to see whether your devices respond well or not.

When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all."

More here:

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Is this the solution? I don't know, so I will keep updating everyone here if the issue comes back or not.

If I am understanding what you are saying, you are stating that you think it may be part of the hibernation process (with fast startup being part of the offending process)? If that is what you mean then this issue should occur when bringing the system out of a hibernated or possibly sleep state? A regular shut down and subsequent power up from a non hibernated or sleep state should then not cause this problem? If that is what you meant then I don't think that that is causing the problem simply because I can either hibernate or put my PC to sleep over and over and the problem does not occur. It only happens when I boot up from a normal (completely shutdown) power state.

I keep forgetting to include the INC number in my posts. Here it is if you are interested in following this issue...

INC000007051201

I rather suspect that some configuration file is still in use (locked) by KIS2017 while rebooting.

And the computer restarts before KIS2017 is able to write the complete file to disk, leaving behind a corrupted configuration file.

KIS2017 should not allow the reboot to take place before all files that are in use by KIS2017 are completely written to disk.

I rather suspect that some configuration file is still in use (locked) by KIS2017 while rebooting.

And the computer restarts before KIS2017 is able to write the complete file to disk, leaving behind a corrupted configuration file.

KIS2017 should not allow the reboot to take place before all files that are in use by KIS2017 are completely written to disk.

I may have used the term reboot while not actually meaning reboot which may have confused this thread a little bit. None of the individual configuration settings for apps has disappeared when bringing the system out of either a hibernated or sleep state. Rebooting from my system (in other words, selecting restart from within a running copy of Windows) and letting my system cycle the power and boot as if it was just turned on has never caused any of of the configuration settings (trusted or restricted) to disappear. The only time I have experienced these configuration settings disappearing is when my system has started up from a cold boot. To clarify what I mean by a cold boot....the system has been completely powered off (amount of time powered off is inconsequential) without any trickle feed of electricity to maintain it's last state configuration or without the last state configuration being written to the hard drive so it can be read back into memory when the computer is powered up. In other words, a clean boot. The problem was occurring every 2 or 3 days with 1 or 2 good cold boots in-between the problem occurring again. The problem is now occurring on every cold boot and has stopped having mercy on me and giving me a break for a few cold boots. Since this has only occurred from a cold state, incomplete writing of files before a reboot doesn't apply here. I was frustrated and tired when I tried to explain what I was experiencing so I may not have given enough clarification to what I wrote in this forum. Sorry if I confused anyone. Fortunately I was very succinct when I explained this to the Kaspersky techs so hopefully they will see something in the trace logs I gave them that tells them what is going on.

I finally heard back from Kaspersky Tech support on this issue and I am somewhat in a state of disbelief after reading their reply. It does appear that the trace logs I sent them did show them what was happening because they did imply that they will be fixing the problem in a future release. Not a future release of KIS 2017 though. The fix for this problem will be included in KIS 2018. I am at a loss for words at this point. In any case, here is what their very short reply said....

"Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky Lab Technical Support.

Our Tier 2 has sent an update and said that issue will be fixed on the 2018 version that will be released on the following year. Though we don't have the target date of the release yet,

Please keep us posted."

Thank you.

I finally heard back from Kaspersky Tech support on this issue and I am somewhat in a state of disbelief after reading their reply. It does appear that the trace logs I sent them did show them what was happening because they did imply that they will be fixing the problem in a future release. Not a future release of KIS 2017 though. The fix for this problem will be included in KIS 2018. I am at a loss for words at this point. In any case, here is what their very short reply said....

Well, Application Control and Firewall are connected. Hope that solution suggested by stef.gold will work. If not, there is no need to remind what are the implications of this issue.

Our Tier 2 has sent an update and said that issue will be fixed on the 2018 version that will be released on the following year. Though we don't have the target date of the release yet,

So we have to wait for almost a whole year to get this issue resolved?

Most ridiculous I think. I will be using my KIS2016 until it expires then.

And after that who knows?

Just had the issue...again. I understand that any software can always have bugs, however, wait for a FULL year to get this fixed is STUPID in my opinion. Get this fixed in 2018 isn't an option for me at least. I will either go back to 2016 version or chose a different Internet Security package. Simple as that!

Hi Folks,

Usually new versions are official released in July/August, so 2018 is about 6-7 months off. However, technical support will be able to provide a version of 2018 compatible with commercial licenses in about 5-6 weeks, possibly sooner.

Well, Application Control and Firewall are connected. Hope that solution suggested by stef.gold will work. If not, there is no need to remind what are the implications of this issue.

So we have to wait for almost a whole year to get this issue resolved?

Most ridiculous I think. I will be using my KIS2016 until it expires then.

And after that who knows?

Just had the issue...again. I understand that any software can always have bugs, however, wait for a FULL year to get this fixed is STUPID in my opinion. Get this fixed in 2018 isn't an option for me at least. I will either go back to 2016 version or chose a different Internet Security package. Simple as that!

I completely agree with you guys. I sort of get the impression that they don't realize how big of a deal this really is. Since many KIS users are content to leave the application control settings at the default settings they were automatically created with and many more users aren't even aware of the existence of these settings and how they can be changed, this bug has not gotten way out of control yet but the potential for this to be a huge disaster for them certainly exists. Trust is the most important part of choosing a security suite. It seems like lately the number of security suites and software companies that make them that I feel I can trust has dwindled down to a very small handful. Kaspersky has always had a good reputation with me and I had no problems trusting their software to keep my computer secure. I cannot trust them anymore now. This bug/problem puts the computer at risk since as the user you are never sure if the security you thought you had setup was still setup the way you wanted it to be. I would have been able to move forward from this with them though if they had moved quickly to fix it. I can understand how this could have taken time to rear its ugly head and filter back to them since it only effects customized configurations and the majority of KIS users don't bother to tighten down the security beyond the software's defaults. Even those of us that do like to customize those settings to ensure a greater degree of protection probably did not realize this was happening for awhile. It isn't that often you open up that part of the GUI once you have things set how you want them. In my case it was an application accessing the Internet after I had closed off its access about a month ago that clued me into the fact that something was not right. So I can understand how this could have escaped detection for awhile and it would not have destroyed my trust in the company and their software. I cannot understand how they could just brush this off once they became aware of the problem though. The fact that they don't see this as a major failure and potential breech of their software's security has me dumb struck. Whether it is because they are not capable of seeing the bigger picture here or because they simply do not realize how this issue can quickly erode the trust of their user base, their ridiculous decision to not immediately create and push a fix for this but rather wait until the next major release (mid 2017 maybe) has completely destroyed any trust and confidence I had in the company and their software up to this point. What a shame!

Edited by USCanthony

Hi Folks,

Usually new versions are official released in July/August, so 2018 is about 6-7 months off. However, technical support will be able to provide a version of 2018 compatible with commercial licenses in about 5-6 weeks, possibly sooner.

Hello

Do you need more data? see:

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=2656801

why not fix it in D patch for 2017MR0?

Bug fix should always meet users need,i think.

Edited by xzz123

As mentioned before I have 5 licenses and was having this issue only with my Dell XPS 13 laptop. Yesterday for the first time I had this problem on my main Desktop and was just after a security update from Microsoft related to Adobe Flash Player. After applying the update I've restarted my computer and boom...the issue happened and I've lost most (not all) of my custom application control settings :-(

The weird thing is that Export Settings indeed export the majority of settings but not all and the Application Control Settings is not one of those. Why not fix the export settings and include the Application Control Settings while trying to fix the main problem? At least will allow us to Export/Import those rules when the problem happens. Just wondering...

Why not fix the export settings and include the Application Control Settings while trying to fix the main problem? At least will allow us to Export/Import those rules when the problem happens. Just wondering...

Is this the way we must act in order to workaround a big bug that Kaspersky doesn't want to fix?

That is not why I pay my annual subscription fee, just to have a so-called security program that loses its settings at some random time by which my systems becomes vulnerable to all kinds of attacks.

This is not quite up to the reputation KIS is said to have. Even free solutions are better than that.

Greatly disappointed by all this.

I received a follow-up e-mail from their tech support yesterday wanting to know if the steps they provided solved the problem or was I having problems following the steps. I get the feeling this was an automatically generated e-mail that was generated because nobody on their end closed out the case. What I had included a few messages ago was the complete e-mail (without the standard privacy stuff that is at the bottom of each e-mail) and there were no steps to follow. It was basically an "your out of luck" e-mail. It sort of pissed me off that I had received this e-mail from them yesterday (auto-generated or not) so I took the opportunity to reply and let them know exactly how I felt about how they don't seem to care about their customers concerns over this issue. I also let them know that there are other users on the user forum that are experiencing the same problem and are also unhappy and disillusioned. I have not received a reply back as of yet but I am hoping it might wake someone up over there. I am not going to hold my breath though. If I do receive a reply I will let you guys know what they have to say.

Edited by USCanthony

now it seems to work

Is your method still working? The problems of losing custom rules and setting is still gone?

Then it might be worth while to start from scratch...

Is your method still working? The problems of losing custom rules and setting is still gone?

Then it might be worth while to start from scratch...

Hope that also works on Win 7 too, I'll try it in the next days if I'll have time. Back to 2016 could be a solution but, as I remember, there's still the (annoying) issue that when you update an application in a custom group name KIS doesn't preserve it and recreates the default name group so you lost custom settings as well (the last full working release in this context was KIS 2013).

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.