kasper-lover

popup message: 'Using Windows 10? Planning to make the switch?'

Hi,

I'm using windows 10 and have (Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614) installed.

after i left my PC for few minutes / when i come back i see this popup window:

post-485596-1465511017_thumb.jpg

so is this fake and may something trying to install virus or etc, or this is from you and fine? (how can i sure?)

also in task manager i see related process:

post-485596-1465511035_thumb.jpg

Thanks

If you want to upgrade to the latest version (16.0.1.445), you can get it here: https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=344430. The upgrade is free during your license period.

1. Uninstall your current version using Windows Control Panel.

2. Reboot

3. Install the newer version

4. Run a manual update

5. Reboot.

I would add, have your activation code on hand before you start. Yes, when you uninstall you can save the activation code and when you install the new version it should pick it up, but having the code on hand is a good idea and can save many problems.

I am about to preform the same upgrade. I always take a System Image backup before I do any major maintenance and have my Standalone Restore Disc on hand "just in case". If you have good backups on hand, you cannot break anything - even with a hammer <grin>. But just try to slip in one little fix without good backups, and the Forces of Darkness are unleashed. Just my $0.02.

Hi,

I'm using windows 10 and have (Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614) installed.

after i left my PC for few minutes / when i come back i see this popup window:

post-485596-1465511017_thumb.jpg

so is this fake and may something trying to install virus or etc, or this is from you and fine? (how can i sure?)

also in task manager i see related process:

post-485596-1465511035_thumb.jpg

Thanks

That is Kaspersky advertising - the nice thing about doing it that way is that the installation takes place in the background and is less disruptive. I've done this on several machines and have had no problems.

That is Kaspersky advertising - the nice thing about doing it that way is that the installation takes place in the background and is less disruptive. I've done this on several machines and have had no problems.

Can anyone say why this isn't the recommended route for upgrading from 614 to the latest level. It seem much simpler, especially for those of us who would rather that an expert like Kasperky did the job. I am assuming that somehow this avoids the save licence code, uninstall, reboot, install the latest level etc which is the standard advice we are given on the forum. Does Kaspersky carry out all the uninstall etc stages for you?

Or does this only apply if you are still using version prior to 2016?

Thanks

mikethebike

Hello,

On this Forum a clean install has always been recommended.

With this procedure you avoid risks like e.a. unnecessary leftovers from a previous version that might stay on your system.

Your best option is the suggestion in Post #2 provided by dh27564

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe Kaspersky has always said you can install newer versions "over the top" of existing versions. I'm assuming that is the process undertaken with the automatic upgrade the OP refers to.

The uninstall / install process has been a recommendation here in the forum for as long as I can remember. I'm guessing that somewhere along the way the forum experts determined there were fewer issues doing it that way. I have used Kaspersky Internet Security starting with the 2009 version and have installed each newer version within main version (15.0.0.463, 15.0.1.415, 15.0.2.361, etc.). I am now running 16.0.1.445. I've followed the forum recommendation during all those installs and have not had any issues.

That being said, all my installs may have been fine doing them "over the top".

The forum procedure seems to work for me so I'll stick with that. :rolleyes:

I must have been working on a reply as you posted Berny. <_<

Edited by dh27564

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.