VirgilTracy

Unpredictable Mac computer names in KSC [Solved]

I'm getting unpredictable names for managed Mac computers in security center and don't know how to correct them. In some cases the name and DNS name will change to localhost. DNS server and Mac client settings appear to be correct.

Any idea why this should be happening, how to correct it or the best procedure for adding Mac computers to KSC to avoid unpredictable computer, DNS and DNS domain names?

Using:

KSC 10.2.434d

KES 10.2.4.674 (Win) & 10.0.0.327 (OSX)

I'm getting unpredictable names for managed Mac computers in security center and don't know how to correct them. In some cases the name and DNS name will change to localhost. DNS server and Mac client settings appear to be correct.

Any idea why this should be happening, how to correct it or the best procedure for adding Mac computers to KSC to avoid unpredictable computer, DNS and DNS domain names?

Using:

KSC 10.2.434d

KES 10.2.4.674 (Win) & 10.0.0.327 (OSX)

Hello,

please open computer properties.

Take a screen shot on tab "General".

Thank you.

Hello,

please open computer properties.

Take a screen shot on tab "General".

Thank you.

Hi Dmitry,

Here are screen shots of three different computers:

post-584069-1452133937_thumb.png

post-584069-1452133442_thumb.png

post-584069-1452133451_thumb.png

Edited by Virgil Tracy

Hi Dmitry,

Here are screen shots of three different computers:

post-584069-1452133937_thumb.png

post-584069-1452133442_thumb.png

post-584069-1452133451_thumb.png

Hi,

What Network Agent version have you got installed on affected Mac machines?

Thank You!

Hi,

What Network Agent version have you got installed on affected Mac machines?

Thank You!

The network agent is 10.1.0.16

Thanks

We have a very large Mac installation and I would categorize managing them and their Kaspersky installs as a Nightmare since the first version of AV for them came out. This particular issue you've been having has been there since day 1. Here is some information that may shed some light as to why Kaspersky gets easily confused and perhaps it will help their developers fix the issue.

The Mac is basically a UNIX computer. UNIX uses a “Hostname” and a “LocalHostName” which is basically the FQDN and the Computer Name respectively. Apple uses a third name called the “ComputerName”, why I don’t know because it is basically the same as the LocalHostName except that UNIX usually puts .local at the end of the LocalHostName. This is all fine on a new install, but when a user renames the Mac, they can only change the ComputerName and Apple doesn’t change the two UNIX names when the user changes the Mac name.

When you have a lot of Macs like we do it's easy to see this mess as Kaspersky doesn't update the information on the client it often sees these different names as different clients. There is continuous maintenance that we have to do to try and keep everything clean as there are many of these clients that have corresponding duplicates, sometimes 3. I've not yet found a way to change the name showing in Kaspersky Admin Console.

This is just one of the problems with Kaspersky and Macs, more time and money is spent just trying to keep Kaspersky running on these Macs. We often have Macs to fix for real time protection being off and won't start, corrupted databases, inability to start tasks, re-installs of the client to try to fix things but often does nothing. It adds another level of complexity when you're centrally managing these Macs for remote locations and from a Windows server with no access to remote into them.

The worst and only virus issue we ever had was caused by a Mac last year that while connected to our file server infected a majority of the files. This Mac had Kaspersky installed but protection was off which is fairly common we find. This was prior to the KES 10 release which we are testing now, I hope it fairs better than it's predecessors.

Hi,

Could you please provide us with a screenshot that shows that domain name resolves correctly?

Thank you!

Not sure what you mean Nikolay?

We have a very large Mac installation and I would categorize managing them and their Kaspersky installs as a Nightmare since the first version of AV for them came out. This particular issue you've been having has been there since day 1. Here is some information that may shed some light as to why Kaspersky gets easily confused and perhaps it will help their developers fix the issue.

The Mac is basically a UNIX computer. UNIX uses a “Hostname” and a “LocalHostName” which is basically the FQDN and the Computer Name respectively. Apple uses a third name called the “ComputerName”, why I don’t know because it is basically the same as the LocalHostName except that UNIX usually puts .local at the end of the LocalHostName. This is all fine on a new install, but when a user renames the Mac, they can only change the ComputerName and Apple doesn’t change the two UNIX names when the user changes the Mac name.

When you have a lot of Macs like we do it's easy to see this mess as Kaspersky doesn't update the information on the client it often sees these different names as different clients. There is continuous maintenance that we have to do to try and keep everything clean as there are many of these clients that have corresponding duplicates, sometimes 3. I've not yet found a way to change the name showing in Kaspersky Admin Console.

This is just one of the problems with Kaspersky and Macs, more time and money is spent just trying to keep Kaspersky running on these Macs. We often have Macs to fix for real time protection being off and won't start, corrupted databases, inability to start tasks, re-installs of the client to try to fix things but often does nothing. It adds another level of complexity when you're centrally managing these Macs for remote locations and from a Windows server with no access to remote into them.

The worst and only virus issue we ever had was caused by a Mac last year that while connected to our file server infected a majority of the files. This Mac had Kaspersky installed but protection was off which is fairly common we find. This was prior to the KES 10 release which we are testing now, I hope it fairs better than it's predecessors.

Thanks for the info and sharing your experiences Rob. Although there aren't any solutions given, it's good to know I'm not alone and at least I better understand how names work. Sill not sure why I'm getting 'localhost' domain names and why the computer names should change by themselves. Also not sure how to remove duplicates and whether I can replace a managed duplicate with an unmanaged duplicate. Guess I'll have to do some more experimenting. Would be good if there were some guidelines on how to deal with these types of issues.

Hi,

Do you have an exact problem with a product?

Have you created a request in CompanyAccount?

BR

Hi Artem,

We have a company account and I posted a couple of requests but got no responses so I'm here on the forum, which has been great so far :)

Hi Artem,

We have a company account and I posted a couple of requests but got no responses so I'm here on the forum, which has been great so far :)

Hello,

please enter the request numbers.

Thank you.

Hi,

Do you have an exact problem with a product?

Have you created a request in CompanyAccount?

BR

Hi,

No sorry, it's a general condition and not critical. I don't have any major issues managing client Macs with KSC. Was just after something about the names and duplicates, which Rob provided.

This is answered for me.

Thanks

Hi,

No sorry, it's a general condition and not critical. I don't have any major issues managing client Macs with KSC. Was just after something about the names and duplicates, which Rob provided.

This is answered for me.

Thanks

May we mark the topic as solved ?

Thank you.

Thanks for the info and sharing your experiences Rob. Although there aren't any solutions given, it's good to know I'm not alone and at least I better understand how names work. Sill not sure why I'm getting 'localhost' domain names and why the computer names should change by themselves. Also not sure how to remove duplicates and whether I can replace a managed duplicate with an unmanaged duplicate. Guess I'll have to do some more experimenting. Would be good if there were some guidelines on how to deal with these types of issues.

Hello Virgil,

Often duplicates are marked with the same name followed by "~239839273" (arbitrary number as an example), so you could see "localhost" as one computer and "localhost~239839273" as another. Sometimes you don't see that because of a name change so you'll have two clients with two different names but basically the same. Another way to identify is by going to the properties of the client, under general you would see a yellow highlighted area indicating there is a duplicate with a link. Clicking this link will bring up another window with the list of duplicates, it shows you last connected time and if it is not current as in minutes just right click the client in the list and select remove.

Good luck.

Hello Virgil,

Often duplicates are marked with the same name followed by "~239839273" (arbitrary number as an example), so you could see "localhost" as one computer and "localhost~239839273" as another. Sometimes you don't see that because of a name change so you'll have two clients with two different names but basically the same. Another way to identify is by going to the properties of the client, under general you would see a yellow highlighted area indicating there is a duplicate with a link. Clicking this link will bring up another window with the list of duplicates, it shows you last connected time and if it is not current as in minutes just right click the client in the list and select remove.

Good luck.

Thanks Rob

This issue isn't really solved, I only provided a workaround to try and deal with an issue that has existed since day 1 when it comes to managing Macs. Is there any information why this occurs or a fix? I've been thoroughly testing Sophos and it doesn't occur with that product. I've attached a screenshot of a client that has not changed its name or IP since installing AV 3 weeks ago but Kaspersky keeps creating duplicates.

post-188789-1452626925_thumb.png

This issue isn't really solved, I only provided a workaround to try and deal with an issue that has existed since day 1 when it comes to managing Macs. Is there any information why this occurs or a fix? I've been thoroughly testing Sophos and it doesn't occur with that product. I've attached a screenshot of a client that has not changed its name or IP since installing AV 3 weeks ago but Kaspersky keeps creating duplicates.

We have been having the same issue with Kaspersky (And Avira previously) and haven't been able to solve it properly. For our UNIX machines we had to edit a config file responsible for domain join (so that it always transmits the correct domain to the Kaspersky server). But we havent found anything in MAC OS.

Strangely enough, not every machine has this problem. Reinstalling the machine or even only changing the IP address creates this problem most commonly. I would be very interested in a fix too.

The topic shows solved but I do not see a solution to this problem. Has anyone had luck completely solving this?

Thanks,

Drew

The topic shows solved but I do not see a solution to this problem. Has anyone had luck completely solving this?

Thanks,

Drew

No, despite people asking this was marked as solved, but it isn't. Have this happening here on every mac as it roles to the latest version of OSX. Name is right on the computer, double checked all settings, and the domain handles it fine, so its purely the Kaspersky Admin console that isn't resolving the name correctly.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.