mikehe

Potential issues with server hosted by Windows 7? [In progress]

Hello,

We've just begun using Kaspersky Business Advanced for our business. I am using Kaspersky Security Center 10.2.434, hosted on a Windows 7 Pro computer.

I've been told by Kaspersky technical support that hosting the Kaspersky Server on a Windows Server machine is recommended. However, they were unable to give me a reason or explain potential issues besides to say that it won't work if managing a large number of machines. Meanwhile, I have heard anecdotally that other people have run antivirus management from a non-Server PC just fine up to large machine counts. So I have the following questions:

1. What are the problems with hosting the Kaspersky server and console on a Windows 7 PC? What are the problems I might have?

2. Is there a rough rule of thumb of when I should consider migrate to a Windows Server machine? What are some warning signs I might see to indicate that I should migrate?

3. Any personal experiences with hosting on a non-Server PC? What machine counts were managed?

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

We've just begun using Kaspersky Business Advanced for our business. I am using Kaspersky Security Center 10.2.434, hosted on a Windows 7 Pro computer.

I've been told by Kaspersky technical support that hosting the Kaspersky Server on a Windows Server machine is recommended. However, they were unable to give me a reason or explain potential issues besides to say that it won't work if managing a large number of machines. Meanwhile, I have heard anecdotally that other people have run antivirus management from a non-Server PC just fine up to large machine counts. So I have the following questions:

1. What are the problems with hosting the Kaspersky server and console on a Windows 7 PC? What are the problems I might have?

2. Is there a rough rule of thumb of when I should consider migrate to a Windows Server machine? What are some warning signs I might see to indicate that I should migrate?

3. Any personal experiences with hosting on a non-Server PC? What machine counts were managed?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Administration server runs fine on all supported operation systems that are stated in this article. There is no mentioned limitations on non-server operating systems.

Thank You!

Running KSC 10 on Windows XP SP3 2Gb RAM virtual machine for years (since the product was called KAK instead of KSC), no problems serving ca 100 clients in LAN. WSUS functionality is not in use, but I do deploy software by means of KSC.

However, what's important is licensing terms of Win7Pro. According to my understanding these could potentially be read as "forbidding" in this case, although it is disputable; I did contact local MS with this question and obviously the first answer was "no, you may not, you must purchase a server and CALs for it". But when reading EULA carefully and asking more questions quoting EULA... well, it ended up with "we are not competent to answer these questions, please contact head office" and head office never answers of course.

So I've stuck to XP instead of 7 for licensing reasons (XP has no "suspicious clauses" forbidding such use even potentially), not for technical ones. And purchasing a Windows Server together with CALs just for KSC (we are not a Windows-server-infrastructure shop) is too much.

Edited by aehrlich

Hello,

Some versions of Microsoft Windows Workstation operating systems artificially limit the number of simultaneous network connections they serve. This may cause problems with more than 100 managed endpoints I think, especially when distributing install kits or software patch updates centrally.

I think it is silly to run KSC on Windows XP! The ancient WinXP is no longer patched by Microsoft, it has minimal built-in IT security defences. It the XP host becomes hacked or infected, the attacker could take over your KSC and centrally disable protection on all the endpoints.

(A competing AV vendor has recently removed Win 2003 Server hosting support from its newest centralized management edition, because they already consider Win 2003 OS dangerously insecure!)

To summarize, please use a more modern operating system with adequate defences and up-to-date patching, at least Win7, if Windows Server 2008/2012 OS cannot be afforded.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

do you have additional questions regarding the topic ?

Thank you.

Running KSC 10 on Windows XP SP3 2Gb RAM virtual machine for years (since the product was called KAK instead of KSC), no problems serving ca 100 clients in LAN. WSUS functionality is not in use, but I do deploy software by means of KSC.

However, what's important is licensing terms of Win7Pro. According to my understanding these could potentially be read as "forbidding" in this case, although it is disputable; I did contact local MS with this question and obviously the first answer was "no, you may not, you must purchase a server and CALs for it". But when reading EULA carefully and asking more questions quoting EULA... well, it ended up with "we are not competent to answer these questions, please contact head office" and head office never answers of course.

So I've stuck to XP instead of 7 for licensing reasons (XP has no "suspicious clauses" forbidding such use even potentially), not for technical ones. And purchasing a Windows Server together with CALs just for KSC (we are not a Windows-server-infrastructure shop) is too much.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! Thanks for the heads up regarding licensing. That confirms my impression as well, that running on a non-server machine wouldn't be a practical problem until a much higher head count. I also think it is unlikely that MS cares too intently about this particular licensing issue.

Hello,

do you have additional questions regarding the topic ?

Thank you.

Thanks, aehrlich's post helps a lot. If there are other people with similar experiences, then of course I would love to hear about it. But I am satisfied with the question.

Edited by mikehe

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.