Why cannot Kaspersky be directly upgraded 2014>2015 like some other AV apps ?

I'm never fully happy being almost totally unprotected after the old version is uninstalled and then forced to perform a reboot which often includes the OS or other app going out to the WWW as part of the bootup process. If the uninstall or subsequent install fails then we are prompted to login to Kaspersky support - but that involves going 'out' whilst being unprotected !

Is it worth gambling and going for an 'upgrade' and see what happens ?

rant over

Hello,

The architecture between an old and new version is in some cases fairly different,

and when upgrading to a new version i think that your best choice is uninstall > reboot > reinstall > update databases ....

I had this case too when I installed KIS 2015. I was looking for the "upgrade" option but never found one. When I also tried to compare from other product vendors, 90% of them needs the old version uninstalled first.

My conclusion, just uninstall and I'm pretty sure that there's a good reason behind it that a non programmer like myself can't understand.

Edited by rourkem

This topic comes up regularly.

Upgrade on top: This option is for those who want to keep same settings, without having to redo the settings, and/or those people who consider uninstall old version to be a chore.

Upgrade on top has been historically officially supported.

Uninstall old version > reboot, then clean install new version: This option is for those people who want to start fresh; and avoid some possible issues that can happen from installing on top of the old version.

Clean install has been historically touted by senior forum members.

Upgrade on top: This option is for those who want to keep same settings, without having to redo the settings, and/or those people who consider uninstall old version to be a chore.

Uninstall old version > reboot, then clean install new version: This option is for those people who want to start fresh; and avoid some possible issues that can happen from installing on top of the old version.

So an 'upgrade' is possible but may have issues. Thanks

I'm following the link dated July 14 from the top of the page to the KIS upgrade page.

When I follow the subsequent links all I'm seeing is the KIS 2014 download.

When I click the download button it is indeed the 2014 download.

Am I missing a trick ?

Ah yes - thanks

Reading the thread it's still in user beta ?

Might hang on with 2014 on this one as I'm getting a new PC in October

I've done an on-top upgrade from 2014 to 2015 - because it's supported.

Everything appears to be OK.

How would I know if I had an issue?

Would it be obvious or could there be something not obvious?

Hello,

An on-top installation does not causes "systematically" problems or malfunctions.

If everything appears to be OK , then you should be fine ...

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.