Esther-Bayla

Greyed-out Kaspersky icon on lower right taskbar

It is recommended to follow the instructions, and to reply to the instructions, and quote the instructions.

Again, I am posting a quote of the instructions, lest they be buried:

The instructions you're posting do not solve the problem or help me. We are looking for the answer/solution. Thanks.

Yes I know that buff and it is all good for those who have it installed to follow these steps. It seems many have done that but without solving the problem.

Is why I was asking if this is a problem for all or only for some, if this is a problem everyone is facing I will wait to install untill it has been fixed.

It's a shame there is always so many problems with kaspersky, I been away for a while but everytime I check back there always seems to be some major problem with the new releases :(

Edited by Sall

I have been using kaspersky product since the old DOS GUI days in about 1997.

This is the first time i have had any problems at all with any kaspersky product.

This windows 8.1 "updated" installation and kav 2014 is 2 days old and the K icon is sometimes "greyed out'

As a test I just right clicked and selected "exit" and kav 2014 shut down.

I then started the program again and the icon is red as normal.

I will keep an eye on the situation, but i am not really worried to much as even though the icon is grey the program is fully working as normal.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what happens.

thank you

I have been using kaspersky product since the old DOS GUI days in about 1997.

This is the first time i have had any problems at all with any kaspersky product.

This windows 8.1 "updated" installation and kav 2014 is 2 days old and the K icon is sometimes "greyed out'

As a test I just right clicked and selected "exit" and kav 2014 shut down.

I then started the program again and the icon is red as normal.

I will keep an eye on the situation, but i am not really worried to much as even though the icon is grey the program is fully working as normal.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what happens.

thank you

Though some people have reported that when they open kaspersky with a greyed out icon, though it says its is enabled, when they look certain individual protection items are not enabled. That is worrying. There seems to be little indication of how much of a priority this is for them to fix. KIS 2013 still works perfectly apart from unsupported plugins in newest firefox, if I can't resolve this in the next few days with a test reinstall on 1 machine they will all be returning to KIS 2013 until the issues affecting KIS2014 are all fixed.

I received a reply from tech support. They provided the removal tool for a full uninstall, then a link to KIS 2015 to install and check if the same issue happens there.

The install of KIS 2015 fails...

@Mike... Please try to install 2015 while disconnected from the internet and see if that helps.

Thanks, that did the trick. Now let's wait and see if the grey icon returns. I like the gui change, looks cleaner and more professional.

@Mike... Please try to install 2015 while disconnected from the internet and see if that helps.

:blink: Goodness has KIS 2015 been released already!!!???

2015 hasn't been officially released. Technical support may instruct you specifically to download and install the technical release of 2015, but please don't post the links in forums as it isn't for the general public as of yet.

2015 hasn't been officially released. Technical support may instruct you specifically to download and install the technical release of 2015, but please don't post the links in forums as it isn't for the general public as of yet.

Would you recommend I install 2014 and see if I get any problems with greyed out icon or should I just wait for 2015 to be released ?

Depends when they are planning to release 2015.

I agree with Drru: Try and see for yourself. :)

Кому как, попробуйте и решите сами.

Maratka says that 2015 regular release will be in the Summer, exact date will depend on region.

Продажи начнутся летом, точная дата будет зависеть от региона.

the greyed out icon problem has been going on,for far to long,for far far to many people,including myself,even though it does seem to have subsided for now,it is no joking matter,and one that should of been sorted by now.Simple as that.

edit: del extraneous content.

Edited by richbuff

So what is the general consensus ? Do we go back to 2013 ? 2014 edition has been FULL with issues ever since it was leaked as a beta and it never recovered. The internet page loading issue, now this grey icon...

Edited by Todiie

The general consensus is to please contact Tech Support.

Again, I am posting a quote of the instructions, lest they be buried:

Quote: "Could you just try to enable icon animation in K Additional - Appearance, does it help?

Try the instructions quoted below:

Quote: "...please create a request to tech. support via My Kaspersky Account service at https://my.kaspersky.com

Submit the following data:

1. The problem description.

2. GetSystemInfo 5 utility report: http://support.kaspersky.com/general/dumps/3632

Please note, that by default the *.zip archive containing the report is saved on the desktop.

3. Traces:

1) Enable Tracing: In the bottom left corner of the main Kaspersky Window click “Support” ->“Support Tools", "Enable Traces" on Recommended trace level.

2) Reboot PC

3) Wait for the problem reproduction (set update settings daily using only arrows, then reboot and wait for 20-25 minutes).

4) Disable Tracing

A detailed tracing guide is available here: http://support.kaspersky.com/10010#block1 "

Thank you for the reminder, but I am surprised that still the issue hasn't been resolved. This appears on every Windows 7 64bit machine KIS2014 seems to be installed on and while it doesn't happen every time on restart, it does more often than not on a logoff/logon cycle to say a different user. Surely the devs have access to a windows 7 machine and they can do all the live testing they want to fix it. The issue is almost endemic to the 2014 version so can be reproduced in the labs without an issue or the need for multiple user reports. Plain and simple it should have been fixed by now. Whether or not the icon is actually affecting the protection status is an issue that many here on the forum have questioned, but the vast majority of users and customers won't come on the forum and the lack of red icon to them will worry them more and possibly destroy confidence in the product whether or not the icon colour has any real affect.

I'm really sorry, but a post in here is 27 times more convenient for me than to contact support, install tracing software, upload reports, monitor when the problem happens.....That is not my job, and I will not put time into this. Yes, security is very important to me, however convenience is as equally important. After all it is my choice, and I hope you guys figure it out, and i truly hope there are dedicated customers who will do this work for you guys. Good thing the market is very competitive in the security software business so $80 subscription will not hold me back and make me put up with an unfinished product. I understand that this sounds really arrogant, however convenience is more valuable for me than $80 worth of unfinished product.

The software is working , protection enabled so i don't care about the grey icon on the taskbar .

I have just updated to Kaspersky IS 2014 and until now i have had no problem, however now every other time i start my computer the Kaspersky icon in the Tray is either not present or is Grey, when it isnt present i can't see anything to do with Kaspersky, but the Kaspersky process avpui.exe is still visible in the task manager. When Grey i can open and the Kaspersky window is all green, no yellow or red, and says PC is protected. Please help!!

Here is the GSI report link - GSI Report

Welcome. You have 64-bit Windows 7 with only 2 GB of ram. That is like the Navy buying the biggest aircraft carrier that they can afford, and then putting a Piper Cub on it.

Please add another 2 GB of ram, or clean install 32-bit Windows.

Also, please clear the contents of your Temp folder, instructions: http://support.kaspersky.com/1161 and then reboot.

Welcome. You have 64-bit Windows 7 with only 2 GB of ram. That is like the Navy buying the biggest aircraft carrier that they can afford, and then putting a Piper Cub on it.

Please add another 2 GB of ram, or clean install 32-bit Windows.

Also, please clear the contents of your Temp folder, instructions: http://support.kaspersky.com/1161 and then reboot.

First off thanks alot for the reply.

I understand what you are saying about ram, unfortunately this is a work computer and i cannot just reload Windows, i will however try and put an order in for more ram but they may be difficult as my Boss keeps showing me this - Windows 7 System Requirements

I did clean the temp folder though and then restarted and for now it seems to have fixed the issue, will post here again if problem re-occurs.

Again thanks alot!!

2014-JULY: I've been having the SAME exact issue on NUMEROUS Win7 and Win8 computers, typically after coming out of sleep / hibernation. After contacting Kaspersky "support", I got nothing more than a run-around and placed the blame on me. Clearly, others are having the same issue.

Interestingly, Kaspersky offers an inconclusive list of "known issues" with their 2014 release of Kaspersky Internet Security solution. [ see http://support.Kaspersky.com/10233 ]

Here's what they missed, from my experience - all of which I've reported to their support team:

* The product hangs / shows a grey icon in taskbar, when coming out of Hibernation on all Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems.

* When the aforementioned occurs, right-clicking the taskbar icon often results in the app immediately terminating thereby leaving the computer complete unprotected.

* The product offers NO technical logging. Moreover, what little logs are shown are presented in a GUI format intended for novice users.

* Balloon warning are displayed and disappear within a few seconds but no record of their message can be found in any log.

* The Parental Controls feature is extremely limited, in that it fails to offer exceptions. Either downloads are allowed or they are not - no specific exceptions, for example.

* The app includes a "Root Kit" scan with several issues: (1) it cannot be scheduled; it either runs at logon or it never runs, (2) a true root kit scan would not take place on an active system; hence, the true definition of a root kit is one that alters (at a low-level) what is being hidden and/or reported to the OS.

In regard to their "support" team, English is not their primary language (based in Russia) and, as a result, the majority of technical questions result in either (1) a bland, generic "cookie cutter" response, (2) a complete misunderstanding of the issue being reported, (3) run-around proposed resolutions which avoid addressing the core issue being reported. Worse yet, their support team will CLOSE support cases, even though the user has provided irrefutable proof (screenshots, etc) of the issue occurring.

In summary, I would not recommend Kaspersky as an antivirus solution, if you are truly looking for a confidence level of protection vs. an unreliable and lackluster product.

Edited by O-P-D

If you post your tech support request number, forum KL personnel may be able to investigate further.

2014-JULY: I've been having the SAME exact issue on NUMEROUS Win7 and Win8 computers, typically after coming out of sleep / hibernation. After contacting Kaspersky "support", I got nothing more than a run-around and placed the blame on me. Clearly, others are having the same issue.

Interestingly, Kaspersky offers an inconclusive list of "known issues" with their 2014 release of Kaspersky Internet Security solution. [ see http://support.Kaspersky.com/10233 ]

Here's what they missed, from my experience - all of which I've reported to their support team:

* The product hangs / shows a grey icon in taskbar, when coming out of Hibernation on all Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems.

* When the aforementioned occurs, right-clicking the taskbar icon often results in the app immediately terminating thereby leaving the computer complete unprotected.

* The product offers NO technical logging. Moreover, what little logs are shown are presented in a GUI format intended for novice users.

* Balloon warning are displayed and disappear within a few seconds but no record of their message can be found in any log.

* The Parental Controls feature is extremely limited, in that it fails to offer exceptions. Either downloads are allowed or they are not - no specific exceptions, for example.

* The app includes a "Root Kit" scan with several issues: (1) it cannot be scheduled; it either runs at logon or it never runs, (2) a true root kit scan would not take place on an active system; hence, the true definition of a root kit is one that alters (at a low-level) what is being hidden and/or reported to the OS.

In regard to their "support" team, English is not their primary language (based in Russia) and, as a result, the majority of technical questions result in either (1) a bland, generic "cookie cutter" response, (2) a complete misunderstanding of the issue being reported, (3) run-around proposed resolutions which avoid addressing the core issue being reported. Worse yet, their support team will CLOSE support cases, even though the user has provided irrefutable proof (screenshots, etc) of the issue occurring.

In summary, I would not recommend Kaspersky as an antivirus solution, if you are truly looking for a confidence level of protection vs. an unreliable and lackluster product.

It does seem to be a bit buggy compared to earlier releases. Though when i spoke to tech support re certain issues they were fully fluent in English and in the Uk, they were extremely helpful, but incidentally said they had no record of the KIS 2014 greyed out icon issue or anyone reporting it, which I thought strange. Re your comment KIS 2014 shutting down, I came across this when scanning an old hard drive that had a copy of Rock XP on it. (its a bit of software I had used several years back to retrieve my licence for some software I had purchased but couldn't find.) Anyhow the moment KIS 2014 encountered it, it shut down. Tried it several times and same thing happened. Here's a link if anyone wants to test, its not a virus though just used to retrieve lost licences on your system, and is hosted on majorgeeks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/rockxp.html

I note that KIS2013 doesn't even let you download it and detects it as a generic UDS:DangerousObject.Multi.Generic but it appears kill several KIS 2014 installations.

Edited by lucids

As of 2014-August, Kaspersky KIS 2014 is now the root cause of production systems being rendered unstable.

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems that suddently started freezing / hanging, after 30 seconds to 1 minute after rebooting. If I hesitated after rebooting, I would not be able to log in. In fact, the user accounts icons would all disappear from the screen. If I didn't hesitate and logged in immediately after rebooting, after 30 seconds to 1 minute, the system would freeze / hang. Other than the standard Windows Updates, no other changes have been made on the impacted systems which I administer.

To clarify "freeze / hang", the mouse was still responding to movement but I was unable to click the Start Orb or any other item on the desktop. If I previously had a window open, I could move it but not close or interact with it in any other way.

Since these systems were previously working without issue for many consecutive months, I presumed it to be due to a recent Windows Update and/or Kaspersky Antivirus issue.

Interestingly, I stated experiencing other bizarre issues on these systems, as noted in the following Kaspersky Forum post: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=f...amp;pid=2258527

In summary, I was able to determine the issue, by following Microsoft's recommended approach to Run Selective Startup. Through a painstakingly long process of elimination, I eventually enabled everything EXCEPT Kaspersky and the system ran without any issues. Once Kaspersky 2014 was enabled, the aforementioned behavior immediately started again.

I have since been forced to completely uninstall KIS 2014, from all impacted production systems. I am hopeful that Kaspersky has already identified this glitch and will produce a repair soon.

**ADDENDUM**

Unless I am mistaken, the following sticky post on this very forum states that actively-licensed users are entitled to upgrade to the latest version without cost.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

If true, I will attempt to install KIS 2015 on the aforementioned systems, once they are reimaged.

I would still prefer that an official Kaspersky SME provide feedback (on the issues I posted in this thread) as well as confirmation of entitlement to upgrade at no cost.

And, if so, why does KIS 2014 not prompt the administrator for upgrade?!! That is disgraceful, from both a consumer and security perspective.

Edited by O-P-D

Dear O-P-D,

Yes, you can easily migrate to KIS 2015 and we highly recommend doing so.

Sluggishness you experienced could be caused by number of different reasons. To say for sure we need to see at least GetSystemInfo log + traces generated by KIS2014 (please post incident number if you already had submitted them to Tech Support). As for KIS 2015: generally speaking it is more lightweight and responsive comparing to KIS2014, so most likely your system should run fine with KIS2015.

Installation on top is always for the best. I don't see how it affects security (except for the time KIS2015 is being installed).

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.