GogoPogo

Does Kaspersky block Microsoft Autochk (chkdsk)?

Does Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 block Microsoft Autochk (chkdsk) from a scheduled run at boot up?

Should I uninstall KIS to see if it is causing this problem?

I can't get chkdsk to work. I disconnected from the internet and did a "pause protection until user resumes" in Kaspersky (as some people reported that antivirus software packages e.g. AVG can prevent chkdsk from running).

Anyway, "pause protection" didn't work for me as the scheduled check (chkdsk C: /f /r) is still reporting "Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package". I searched other forums (e.g. microsoft support) for how to get passed this problem.

I didn't want to uninstall Kasersky but maybe I should try that next? :??:

Thanks for help.

Does Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 block Microsoft Autochk (chkdsk) from a scheduled run at boot up?

Should I uninstall KIS to see if it is causing this problem?

I can't get chkdsk to work. I disconnected from the internet and did a "pause protection until user resumes" in Kaspersky (as some people reported that antivirus software packages e.g. AVG can prevent chkdsk from running).

Anyway, "pause protection" didn't work for me as the scheduled check (chkdsk C: /f /r) is still reporting "Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package". I searched other forums (e.g. microsoft support) for how to get passed this problem.

I didn't want to uninstall Kasersky but maybe I should try that next? :??:

Thanks for help.

No issue here with chkdsk, Win 7 64 bit and KIS...

I've never seen KAV or KIS block chkdsk on any version of XP/Vista/W7 or W8. What other system utility or security software has been installed since you last ran it?

Thanks for your replies. :) Here's a longer explanation of the problem:

I cannot run hard disk checknow or "chkdsk /r" command line. On reboot it reports:

"Cannot open volume for direct access.

Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.

Use system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.

An unspecified error occurred"

system restore is only showing recent restore points.

system restore only works if chkdsk is run first - so endless loop!

I did "pause protection" in Kaspersky but that didn't unblock it. I tried a reinstall / repair of Kaspersky just in case that was the cause and then got into a nightmare situation as follows:

1. KIS 2013 cannot install so it downloads/installs KVRT. KVRT then crashes to blue screen and computer reboots.

2. Manually installed KVRT using setup. Error: AVPTool installation failed. Reboot computer. Error Client register error: -2147024894

3. Windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown. Bluescreen.

4. Tried to install AVG instead. Can't install as Kaspersky still installed. Control panel to uninstall Kaspersky failed error reading C:\windows\installer\kavkis.msi

5. I used KAV Removal tool to remove KIS 2013. Finished. Rebooted. I re-install KIS 2013 again and it worked ok. KIS is now running again.

...but that didn't unblock it either!

So I guess the next step is to boot from a Windows 7 or System Recovery Disk and run command line chkdsk /f on the O/S drive. I'll do another backup first just in case another nightmare is around the next corner!

:unsure:

edit: bold red portion = Off.

Edited by richbuff

I've never seen KAV or KIS block chkdsk on any version of XP/Vista/W7 or W8. What other system utility or security software has been installed since you last ran it?

Thanks for your reply. :)

I've installed loads of software packages since I last saw chkdsk in operation - many months ago I think. The only reason I'm running chkdsk now is because TrueImage clone suggested it after a copy error - but I think it may be mis-reporting problems as I've cloned successfully since installing a new backup hard disk.

It could be anything causing the problem or is it just system and security software packages that cause this autochk cannot run problem?

Have you tried running a system startup repair with the windows installation media? Indeed backup before just in case it does more damage. It should right the chkdsk issue though.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.