TStark

Wish to renew/activate KIS 2011 with KIS 2013's new activation code

It's that time of year again ...! (Where does the time go?)

I'm currently using KIS 2011 ... Since I am happy with it's performance, I would like to use it for as long as the newer activation codes are still compatible with it.

Last year, I asked if the new activation code for KIS 2012 was compatible with KIS 2011 so that I could continue to get the updates for another year without having to install the new program. Richbuff, you were kind enough to be able to confirm that the codes were indeed compatible and so I was able to merge the licenses, thus keeping the KIS 2011 program but getting another year of updates.

Can you confirm that the activation code for KIS 2013 is compatible with KIS 2011 so that I may do the same again this year?

Thanks in advance :)

No, but you could buy a boxed 2011 version.....the thing that will tip it negatively..... is the fact that signature updates will only be available until aug for 2011 and then you will have to uninstall 2011 anyway. Why not simply make the upgrade now?

Hi, Don ... thanks for the quick reply.

If you're confirming for sure that the activation code for 2013 will not work with 2011, then I suppose I will have to look into upgrading to 2013. Too bad if it doesn't, though. In the six years I've been using Kaspersky, 2011 was the first time I didn't have any problems associated with the program. A rare thing indeed. And that's the reason I don't automatically upgrade each year. If something works and does the job, I don't see the point of going through all the hassles of installing "the latest, greatest" untried product only to have to spend time fixing problems associated with it. I was hoping 2013 would be light-years better than 2012 was out of the box but I'm still reading up on all the problems people are bringing up about it in the forums. I still have a few weeks left on my current license so that gives me some time to do some research on it.

Can anyone tell me what the major issues there have been with KIS 2013 so far? If I completely uninstall 2011 and install 2013's latest build should there be any problems? (Running Windows 7, 64 bit and I don't do any gaming on it. Just for photoshop, office, and explorer).

Hi TStark. If you are that concerned about KIS 2013, why not put it off for a while by installing KIS 2012 instead. Zero problems on my Win7 64bit machine and you can pick it up very cheaply still at places like Amazon. I usually like to stay a year behind the latest version for the same reasons you mention about "the latest, greatest untried product".

TStark, I have run into the same problem. I have KAV 2013 installed on my main PC and it needed its yearly renewal code in January. I bought a 3-User, 1-Year boxed edition of KAV 2013 to update both of my machines. It worked fine on the KAV 2013 computer, but not on my other PC. That one is older, has Win XP installed, and is running KAV 2011 (v11.0.2.556 - b,c,e,f). I've tried running newer versions of KAV on it, but it slows things down considerably; e.g., a full scan takes 18 hours to complete (single partition, 130K files - less than 15 minutes to scan the same on my new PC!). For that reason, I wanted to keep KAV 2011 on that computer and renew it with the KAV 2013 3-User code. It worked fine last year when I renewed it with a KAV 2012 3-User code.

Is there any way around this? I have paid for the renewal of 3 computers, but can only use it on one. Why?

Thanks for the reply, guys!

Hi TStark. If you are that concerned about KIS 2013, why not put it off for a while by installing KIS 2012 instead. Zero problems on my Win7 64bit machine and you can pick it up very cheaply still at places like Amazon. I usually like to stay a year behind the latest version for the same reasons you mention about "the latest, greatest untried product".

That's a good idea, Robolovsky ... Last year, when 2012 first came out, there were too many problems with it. I guess it takes a good six months to patch a build that works well. I wish Kaspersky would take a breather of about six months to a year and then put out something really good right out of the gate. Business is all rush rush rush, I guess ... computer business doubly so.

Anyway, I'll probably take a chance on 2013. Again, I keep things pretty streamlined on the computer I'll be using it on, so I hope there'll be little to no problems (knock on wood!)

TStark, I have run into the same problem. I have KAV 2013 installed on my main PC and it needed its yearly renewal code in January. I bought a 3-User, 1-Year boxed edition of KAV 2013 to update both of my machines. It worked fine on the KAV 2013 computer, but not on my other PC. That one is older, has Win XP installed, and is running KAV 2011 (v11.0.2.556 - b,c,e,f). I've tried running newer versions of KAV on it, but it slows things down considerably; e.g., a full scan takes 18 hours to complete (single partition, 130K files - less than 15 minutes to scan the same on my new PC!). For that reason, I wanted to keep KAV 2011 on that computer and renew it with the KAV 2013 3-User code. It worked fine last year when I renewed it with a KAV 2012 3-User code.

Is there any way around this? I have paid for the renewal of 3 computers, but can only use it on one. Why?

Yes, the backwards compatibility with operating systems seems to be shortening with each new version (as is the extension time with activation codes/renewals). I would like to think Kaspersky would refund you the difference between the three-computer vs. one computer license.

Is there anyone here who can give Beer Dog the exact policy and procedure on how to go about doing that? Or at least have the toll free phone number to call customer service?

For me, I'll probably be getting 2013, hoping that the latest build that is up will get the job done at least as well as 2011 did for me. Fingers crossed!

If not ... I'll be back! :)

After a search here for similar discussions, I found a response by one of the mods that mentions the rule of X-1, X+3. What this means is that an activation code is good for the current year, one year prior, and three years in future. So the 2013 3-User boxed set I purchased can be used to activate KAV 2013 and 2012. The code, if unused, could also activate later versions 2014, 2015, and 2016. Of course, I've already used it to re-activate my KAV 2013, so the code will expire in a year.

I plan to install KAV 2012 on the XP machine and give it a go. I'm not looking for any kind of a refund on this and I don't want to deal with customer service. However, I think that the activation policy should have been made more public than to have to find it in an obscure comment on the Kaspersky Lab Forum. Having the policy spelled out on the software box would have been a help.

Good luck, TStark, with your 2013 upgrade!

If something works and does the job, I don't see the point of going through all the hassles of installing "the latest, greatest" untried product only to have to spend time fixing problems associated with it.

How does an end-user know that a 1-2 year old program is working better than an updated one? How do you know that it is not missing some viruses etc?

DrT

How does an end-user know that a 1-2 year old program is working better than an updated one? How do you know that it is not missing some viruses etc?

DrT

Hi, DrT,

I would think that getting the latest anti-virus uploads is primarily a function of the updates from the database, not the program per se. The program is the latest means of upgrading performance (i.e. speed in relation to the latest operating system requirements, memory size, etc.) and sometimes approach (i.e. the latest "cloud" technologies). I realize that program upgrades can increase security in some areas, but simply having a working program that knows how to scan your system and compare what it finds to a database of known viruses is what gets the job done on a daily basis.

If one hasn't changed one's computer or operating system, the same anti-virus program should work fine. Furthermore, I think anti-virus updates should reflect this reality and be offered for an extension period longer than just a couple of years. It seems to me like the hardware and software businesses would like to see individual consumers replace their computers and related equipment on an annual basis. Call me naive, but personally, I'm not fond of living in a disposable society; I always aim at using my computers for five or six years before I see fit to replace them.

After a search here for similar discussions, I found a response by one of the mods that mentions the rule of X-1, X+3. What this means is that an activation code is good for the current year, one year prior, and three years in future. So the 2013 3-User boxed set I purchased can be used to activate KAV 2013 and 2012. The code, if unused, could also activate later versions 2014, 2015, and 2016. Of course, I've already used it to re-activate my KAV 2013, so the code will expire in a year.

I plan to install KAV 2012 on the XP machine and give it a go. I'm not looking for any kind of a refund on this and I don't want to deal with customer service. However, I think that the activation policy should have been made more public than to have to find it in an obscure comment on the Kaspersky Lab Forum. Having the policy spelled out on the software box would have been a help.

Good luck, TStark, with your 2013 upgrade!

Thanks, Beer Dog, and you're absolutely right. I've complained about the lack of clear, concise, and ready information in the past, but I'm guessing the reason it's still noticeably absent is because clarity is "bad for business" as far as some are concerned. (Personally, I don't agree, and think any business would be more successful if honesty and openness was their golden rule). And I'm not just pointing the finger at Kaspersky, here--they're just in the same "rat race" as almost every other software company out there, and they just want to keep up with the competition. I just wish that the universal rule in this business was more like "X-3, X+3," and not "X-1, X+3." But, alas, I'm repeatedly told I'm living in a dream world as far as that goes! :)

More useful information: http://support.kaspersky.com/supported_home

Found this in a Don Pelotas sticky for this forum, and although it spells out Kaspersky's support for different versions, it makes no mention of the "X-1 X+3" rule. I'm not bothered by the fact that they retire older versions rather quickly, I just want the info readily available before I purchase their software. Newer versions often run poorly on older systems, so it's important to know if a code for the "latest and greatest" will activate the version running on an older, secondary computer.

More useful information: http://support.kaspersky.com/supported_home

Found this in a Don Pelotas sticky for this forum, and although it spells out Kaspersky's support for different versions, it makes no mention of the "X-1 X+3" rule. I'm not bothered by the fact that they retire older versions rather quickly, I just want the info readily available before I purchase their software. Newer versions often run poorly on older systems, so it's important to know if a code for the "latest and greatest" will activate the version running on an older, secondary computer.

They do not retire products quickly at all, lets take 2011 as an example: It was release in mid 2010 and will be retired in aug 2013......so anyone would have three years with that version if they choose to. Not that it would be in their best interest, but it's possible. Most simply buy a version and stay with it for the remeinder of their usually 1 year code and then upgrade...only a few more a 3 year subscription.

You can't can't justify supporting versions endlessly as it really strains the support section and besides it's like a subscription you're entitled to use the latest greatest with your purchased code which normally would be a good thing, all you have to do is...download the latest, uninstall the old and install the new...you can even keep the activation info when uninstalling..

It IS best to upgrade to the latest version...if you're a little hesitant because of previous bad experiences then wait a couple of months after a new versions release and possibly until the first hotfix is out, then you should be fine. Users who pay way to much attention to what always appears as issues with the latest version, i can tell you from experience and being in the forum since start several years ago now ...... that every time a new version is out some users will interpret posts in the forum as a signal it's a "bad one"..........in that case if we should follow that no one should have upgraded ever because since version 3.0 back in the W98 days....users have complained that the new is bad and the old was much much better ever since version 4.0!

They are totally incorrect of course. It brings a smile to my face when users are almost impossible to move from 2010-11 versions because they brought the most issues of all versions and in fact the emphasis developing 2012 was to not bring more "nice to have options" and simply create a nice "easy" (not that easy though) GUI and stabilize the code and it worked 2012 was a very quiet release compared to the previous ones.

The last thing to note is that many still to this days think ...."it's just the same signatures and only the GU changes", thats very misguided, a modern AV relies on many layers nowadays. If you took a fully updated version 2011 and 2012 or 13 and subjected it to real-life situations (as opposed to a simple scan files kind of test) like going to the darker places of the net 2012-13 would protect you better and that is IMO the sole purpose of a security tool. :)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.