vikram112

Will having too many security applications cause conflict?

Hi,

I have the following security applications installed on my laptop.

KIS 2013

Malwarebytes anti malware

HitmanPro 3

WinMHR

I also have USB disk security installed which i use only at the time of connecting USB drive and to scan for autorun virus.

My query is will having the 4-5 security applications mentioned above cause conflict and affect the main security program -Kaspersky from effectively protecting my laptop or have conflict among themselves.

I should add here except for KIS, no other applications run in background. They are all on demand scanners. Also none of the applications mentioned above have been listed as incompatible with kaspersky.

Those who are not aware of what WinMHR is, it is similar to VirusTotal. Difference is in virustotal, you can only upload each file at a time to scan it with multiple anti virus. But WinMHR is installed on your computer and scans the entire computer or specific files, collects its hash MD5 and SHA and scans it with multiple anti virus on its servers and displays the results. So, all the files on your computer can be scanned against multiple AV. You can read about it in below link:

http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/MHR/WinMHR/

If you have a AV and anti spyware installed on your computer, i suggest installing wither hitman or WinMHR as these have advantage of putting your files to test against multiple AV on their servers. I welcome your comments on my suggestions.I have heard prevx is also similar to hitmanpro though i don't have much knowledge about its workings. Can somebody provide some details about it? Their website claims they are offering money back guarantee if system is not cleaned 100% but there is no information on its technique. I should add prevx is listed as incompatible with kaspersky, but i want to know if anybody has tried it and its method.

Thank you all for your future replies.

Vikram

Hello! No conflict for them all (KIS or between each other). Apart from... Add HitmanPRO and Malwarebytes to the exclusions of the Kaspersky FILE AV as it would take longer to scan. No idea about Prevx. I see no point really since you have KIS.

edit: del large quote.

Edited by richbuff

Hi,

No security application can detect 100% of the malicious items out there. It is necessary to take a layered approach to computer security.

Let me give you an example, i was searching to download a mp3 2 days back. I went to a site from google results and clicked on download. The file that downloaded was an EXE file but with the file name of the song i searched for. This got me suspicious and i scanned the file with KIS. It did not show it as suspicious. I was still not convinced and uploaded it to VirusTotal. 7 out of 40 scanners detected it as 'pupware' (meaning malicious in some way). None of the top 2 scanners - bitdefender and kaspersky detected it. My contention is even the top security tools do not detect 100% of the malicious items and hence the need for having additional security tool like a good on demand scanner.

Thanks,

Vikram

Hi,

No security application can detect 100% of the malicious items out there. It is necessary to take a layered approach to computer security.

Let me give you an example, i was searching to download a mp3 2 days back. I went to a site from google results and clicked on download. The file that downloaded was an EXE file but with the file name of the song i searched for. This got me suspicious and i scanned the file with KIS. It did not show it as suspicious. I was still not convinced and uploaded it to VirusTotal. 7 out of 40 scanners detected it as 'pupware' (meaning malicious in some way). None of the top 2 scanners - bitdefender and kaspersky detected it. My contention is even the top security tools do not detect 100% of the malicious items and hence the need for having additional security tool like a good on demand scanner.

Thanks,

Vikram

I'm well aware of that. Sure I'm preaching about layered security for a while. But Prevx will conflict with Kaspersky that's for sure. Sure I agree. I was talking about having only one real-time protection here but you MUST have as many on demand scanners as you can.

Hi,

Thanks,

Vikram

Did you send that file to Kaspersky Lab, so that many more users are protected against that threat? If not, please do so.

Anyway, antivirus softwares/suites should not conflict with each other. MalwareBytes (free version) does not have Real time protection, and hence doesn't conflict with KAV/KIS.

Also, in addition to the two replies above this one,

...and uploaded it to VirusTotal. 7 out of 40 scanners detected it as 'pupware' (meaning malicious in some way). None of the top 2 scanners - bitdefender and kaspersky detected it. ...

"7 out of 40 scanners detected it as 'pupware' (meaning malicious in some way)"

Let us clarify the above quote snippet.

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program. That is, not a virus, not a trojan. PUPs are legal junk that people download and install.

Kaspersky may detect such stuff, if you enable Extended Detection Signatures, by enabling "Other" in Threat Categories.

Last I heard, the Kaspersky engine at VT does not include Extended Detection Signatures. But you can. :)

Edited by richbuff

MalwareBytes, Hitman Pro, and KIS should not cause conflict. two Full Flegded Security suites installed on the same system, such as Norton and Kaspersky. Comodo and Avast, Will cause conflict.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.