Hi guys, I have KIS 2013 installed and have a ADSL wireless router which has inbuilt firewall setting on/off. Should I enable or disable the router firewall with KIS 2013 also having a firewall? Thanks

hello

no, they can live together without stepping on each others toes. keep them both enabled.

Thanks for your help Lucian Cheers

Hi guys, I have KIS 2013 installed and have a ADSL wireless router which has inbuilt firewall setting on/off. Should I enable or disable the router firewall with KIS 2013 also having a firewall? Thanks

Keep them both enabled. The router's firewall will stop outsiders from connecting from the outside world to computers within your local network (the AV software can only deal with them after they've managed to communicate with your computer). But the router's firewall can't do anything about malware you actively download, eg. by visiting pages that include malicious content. Or at least most home router firewalls can't. The AV software will protect you against that, and against malicious software on other computers on your local network (like your friend's laptop that he plugs in when he's visiting) that're already behind the router firewall.

kis has a firewall that performs packet inspection, just like the routers and block incoming unwanted communication, thus the applications on the pc don't get the malicious packets, so this point is not valid.

Hi,

This router wireless issue is interesting. I've also got ADSL with a wireless router in the modem.

However, as yet, i've not entered the wireless security key to set up a network.

I looked at the modem the other day and for the first time noticed the wireless LED light flashing green which means " a wireless device is paired and network traffic ongoing". How could this be? I quickly pulled modem power plug from the wall. It has happened again so I contacted ISP. Tech said change the password but I explained the above -haven't entred the wireless key!

Anyway the issue has been fixed now by the tech.

What interests me is how could this happen? Any chance that someone got access to my computer?

Cheers

Edited by philippi

I looked at the modem the other day and for the first time noticed the wireless LED light flashing green which means " a wireless device is paired and network traffic ongoing".

As well as the above, I use an ethernet cable to connect my PC to the router and have wireless turned off in both the pc and router. the router has a password to control access to the router manager and a wireless key to control access to the wireless bit, which sounds similar to yours. The router receives automatic updates and one day I noticed the wireless light turned on on the router (but not the pc), which I realised was after an update. This is something to be aware of. Once your router became wireless enabled, then presumably somebody nearby could access it because if you had not changed the default router password, this might make the router manager accessible, which then just means somebody can easily change the default wireless key (which they wouldn't know) to one of their own. I would change both the router password and the wireless key.

I could be wrong in my opinion but hope it helps

Edited by totallybaffled

As well as the above, I use an ethernet cable to connect my PC to the router and have wireless turned off in both the pc and router. the router has a password to control access to the router manager and a wireless key to control access to the wireless bit, which sounds similar to yours. The router receives automatic updates and one day I noticed the wireless light turned on on the router (but not the pc), which I realised was after an update. This is something to be aware of. Once your router became wireless enabled, then presumably somebody nearby could access it because if you had not changed the default router password, this might make the router manager accessible, which then just means somebody can easily change the default wireless key (which they wouldn't know) to one of their own. I would change both the router password and the wireless key.

I could be wrong in my opinion but hope it helps

Thanks for that. I thought, though, that it couldn't become enabled until I actually set it up-unless I've misunderstood you.The ISP tech was saying that someone must have got hold of my wireless security key. I explained this was impossible ( I won't go into why here). So do you think the free-loader could have accessed my computer or just the modem?

Cheers

1. I thought, though, that it couldn't become enabled until I actually set it up...

2. So do you think the free-loader could have accessed my computer or just the modem?

1. In my case, the wireless bit of the router became enabled presumably as a result of the update, therefore, I had to go into the manager and disable it again. However, I did this after changing the router manager password, just to be sure.

2. The wireless bit is the way into the router therefore even if the router is not wireless enabled, presumably your computer is still accessible because the router and your computer are connected through the ethernet cable, so potentially they have direct access to it. Anyhow, this all depends on what caused the wireless connection to become enabled; in my case it was the automatic update but in your case (sorry to be glib) who knows.

All you can do is reset the router to the default password and wireless key then immediately change them to your own. Be aware that 'reset' is/can be different from 'restart' (or at least they are on mine - restart just turns the router off then on again, whereas reset reverts the whole router back to factory deafault settings). Whenever I access the router manager I always do it in this order: unplug the phone jack first, then access the router manager and do whatever changes/checks - in your case, revert to default, check that wireless is disabled and input new password and wireless key - then exit the manager, then re-connect the phone jack.

If it was me I would also do a system restore, to a point previous to the wireless connection becoming enabled; do all the scans you can access, with e.g. kis and malwarebytes; in windows > network and sharing, set your network to public.

That's what i would do.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.