Kariput

License invalid....Kaspersky Pure 2.0 Problems, license issues

After about four weeks of stability, I woke up this morning to a "license invalid" message from Pure 2 which had then proceeded to switch itself off. For the record, my license has another 160 days to run. Kaspersky has once again exposed my Win7 x64 machine to the clutches of the cyber-scoundrels.

I had experienced the license issue off and on for about the first two weeks of using Pure 2. Then I switched Windows updates to "manual" and things went smoothly until this morning. Now it looks like I'll have to waste another chunk of time going through the Pure uninstall>reinstall>update ritual.

This is NOT the way a security suite should operate.

From reading various posts on this forum, I believe that Kaspersky has been aware of the problem for quite some time. The problem seems widespread and serious enough that KL should have come up with a resolution or recommendation by now.

I repeat, this is NOT the way a security suite should operate. It is becoming very frustrating and I am approaching the point of chucking Kaspersky and loading in a competitor's more stable product.

Okay, did you contact Technical Support via my.kaspersky.com?

Apart from the correct time and date this issue is not user-forum resolvable.

Yes, I contacted tech support and sent a system report.

I realize the forum probably won't offer a solution but I feel that it is important to keep fellow users informed that this issue has not been resolved. It is a critical flaw in the program since it can leave your system unprotected without notice.

Yes, I contacted tech support and sent a system report.

I realize the forum probably won't offer a solution but I feel that it is important to keep fellow users informed that this issue has not been resolved. It is a critical flaw in the program since it can leave your system unprotected without notice.

I agree, this is a critical flaw. I do not leave my computer anymore without disabling the Internet connection http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=235061

I have experienced this issue on both my computers (Win7 & WinXP). I have reported both events to Tech Support. There I have been in contact with a nice guy, but I have not got any solution, not any promises other then: “It is reported up in the ladder. The updates will most surely resolve any issue in the future.”

I also have opened support tickets for other rather serious issues: PURE 2.0 stops “chkdsk /r” to run, I have registry leaks at every shutdown.

The first support reply usually recommends “reinstall PURE 2.0”. The support team now understands that I am fed up with re-installs of both Windows and PURE. Fortunately the “turn off protection issue” has only happened in one case on both my computers. When will it happen again?

The KIS forum has had several posts with the same issue. With KIS it seems to have been a situation that occurred with an update, and that the issue now is resolved with patch (i).

What is the situation with PURE 2.0? I should appreciate a more open-minded approach from the KL team. Please tell about what is going on, and when you can resolve the problem.

I agree, this is a critical flaw. I do not leave my computer anymore without disabling the Internet connection.

It speaks very poorly of a security suite when you cannot trust it to protect your computer in your absence. Come on, Kaspersky, put some effort into fixing this.

Again, tech support is the way forward with such issues. Doesn't seem to be forum resolvable from what you describe. Please open tickets if you have not done so and the issue will be escalated by support.

A couple of posts with outbursts towards a fellow moderator from a member who should know better by know...........removed. Next time contact that moderator via PM if you feel you need to discuss his actions/or posts.

Edit: Yet another one removed from the guy who should know better, it's not rocket science. Contact the mod if you feel you need to discuss his actions/or posts, do not clutter threads with OT stuff that could be discussed via PM.

Edited by Don Pelotas

I've had this issue only once but going on what I've read I'm probably going to get it again in the future :/

I'm interested to know what Kaspersky's tech support suggest when they respond to people contacting them about it so I can be proactive. Have they actually suggested anything other that 'it will be escallated"?

After Pure 2 gave me a license invalid message on Monday I went through the uninstall-reboot-reinstall-update-scan ordeal. Now about 36 hours later it has happened again: I got another "license invalid" message and Pure shut itself off.

I just had time to send a GetSystemInfo and a few screenshots to tech support as part of my existing problem report before leaving for work.

This is about the eighth occurrence of the license error since I began using Pure 2. My license is good for another 5 months and I am using Win7 x64 on a machine that is less than 2 months old. Unless I receive some positive news from Tech Support before I get home, I plan to ditch Pure 2 and roll back to the previous version.

If you are running Pure 2 be warned that one of these days you will be greeted with this:

Screen1.png

When you have worked your way through the "Fix it" steps you will end up with this:

Screen9.png

And the final result is:

Screen10.png

So if you want to continue using your legal copy of Pure 2 you will have to go through the uninstall-reboot-reinstall-update-scan ritual yet another time. But how long will it be before Pure 2 disables itself again? Good luck!

In my experience and opinion Pure 2 is critically flawed and is not an acceptable product in its current state.

Edited by Kariput

I still have not had any communication from Tech Support regarding my problem report other than the acknowledgement that they received it. Since Pure 2 is useless, actually dangerous on my system I have removed it and reverted to the previous incarnation of Pure. It took about 1.5 hours to uninstall P2 and reinstall and update P1. All updates from November 2010 to present had to be downloaded and installed, which took a bit of time. I'm not counting the several hours the initial full scan took under the "new" install. Now I have my fingers crossed that P2 didn't leave behind some registry dirt that will cause the same issues with my reinstall of the earlier version.

I feel that Kaspersky released the product prematurely and has been too slow to respond to a serious problem. I have wasted quite a bit of time trying to get ImPure 2 to perform the way it should. I'll report back if Tech Support addresses my problem report but I do not intend to reinstall Pure 2 until KL has officially announced a permanent and tested patch to the licensing issue.

Good luck to everyone who has a stable instance of Pure 2 on their system.

We know the problem. It should be fixed in next patch © in the beginning of June.

Thanks; it is a relief to know. Are there any precautions we should take while we wait for the patch?

Today, ten days after opening my problem ticket, I finally received this reply from Kaspersky:

-------------------------------------

Hello ,

I apologize for the delay in our response. We have been receiving an unusually high volume, which is why you are just receiving a reply now. I thank you for your patience.

Please right click the small "K" icon by the time on the lower right and choose EXIT. Then, reopen the program by going to Start > All Programs > Kaspersky. We had an issue on our side of the activation server, and this reboot of the program should resolve the issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Best regards,

****| Technical Support | Kaspersky Lab Americas

--------------------------------------

My reply stated that I have reverted to Pure 1 and I will not be reinstalling ImPure 2 until KL announces a permanent and tested resolution of this issue.

We had an issue on our side of the activation server, and this reboot of the program should resolve the issue.

We know the problem. It should be fixed in next patch © in the beginning of June.

I find these two answers to be divergent; language barriers cannot be the reason.

This is the most important security issue with PURE 2.0. The answer from Tech Support is very vague, it does no tell me anything.

Please, elaborate the question. Is a patch needed? What to do in the meantime?

Fortunately both my computers have behaved well since the single occurrence of “License violation” and “turn off”/app crash.

I find these two answers to be divergent; language barriers cannot be the reason.

This is the most important security issue with PURE 2.0. The answer from Tech Support is very vague, it does no tell me anything.

Please, elaborate the question. Is a patch needed? What to do in the meantime?

Fortunately both my computers have behaved well since the single occurrence of “License violation” and “turn off”/app crash.

In my opinion if you have upgraded to PURE 2.0 from PURE and based on following the Kaspersky Technical Support and GSI/AVZ reports and my perusal of all the PURE 2.0 problem posts in the past two weeks, I believe the best route for now is to go back to PURE and wait until PURE 2.0 issues are concluded. You can then follow the forum to know this has happened.

I have done this and the reliability issues with PURE 2.0 shutting down at random times, leaving your security nil, have gone away.

I am also a Firefox user and have gone back to Firefox 11 until PURE 2.0 will work correctly with more advanced versions of Firefox. This takes away the protections afforded by advanced versions of Firefox (and other browsers like Chrome and Explorer) but lets me use the Virtual Keyboard and Password Manager with a somewhat reliable, albeit outdated (and thus less secure) Kaspersky PURE.

This is only my solution and based on my experience but seems most logical compared to the unknown outlook for upgrades/updates/try-to-fix to PURE, like PURE 2 and PURE 2.0, and to browsers like Firefox and Chrome.

Hope this is helpful.

I believe the best route for now is to go back to PURE and wait until PURE 2.0 issues are concluded. You can then follow the forum to know this has happened.

I appreciate your advice, BobBob. I have been thinking of downgrading, but there are some new features in PURE 2.0 which I really like. Our computers have now been running smoothly for 4 weeks, we monitor the computers when they are connected to the Internet. It is a kind of failure to revert to the previous version. For KL's sake, I hope PURE 2.0 will continue to work smoothly until the patch is released.

The only problem I have had (with my WinXP computer) is a 99% memory load at some occasions. I have never before experienced this problem with a KL product (but the issue is well known from the forum). The issue is resolved be exiting and restarting PURE 2.0. I have a wired network; if I cannot break the connection through the software, I can rapidly unplug the cable.

I just got my new license in February for 2.0 and just got hit with the "expired" bug, was fine, walked away from my comp a few minutes came back with Pure open showing it has expired.

This is a major issue leaving who knows how many customers with out the protection they paid for, I sure would like to know why this bug was not immediately squashed?

E-mailed tech support and as per their instructions I had to delete my license key in Pure 2.0 then re-reactivate the program using the activation code I got when I re-newed my license back in Febuary and it solved the problem.

Here is the instructions they sent me on how to do this;

Delete the Kaspersky licenses and reactivate:

Step 1 - Delete the Licenses:

• Open Kaspersky PURE.

• Click on Subscription: X Days remaining at the lower right of the window.

• Click on the red X at the top right of the License Management window.

• Click Delete License.

• You will be warned the Application is not activated.

Step 2 - Reactivate:

• Click on Activation the application with a new license.

• Activate commercial version will be selected by default.

• Enter your activation code. Kaspersky will automatically capitalize for you.

• Click Next and wait for the process to complete.

• Click Finish.

• Click Close.

Please report back in a week or so and let us know if that procedure really did solve the problem. I'm still going to stick with Pure 1 until I see something concrete from KL that they have fixed this issue.

Clearly that solution does not work - when you get the 'invalid licence' error it removes the serial so there's nothing to delete. I really wish foreign tech support agents would pay attention to what they're telling people to do.

At the bottom of my Pure 2.0 it doesn't say 'x days remaining', it just says 'Licence: not available'.

Don't know if this is any help but although the above didn't work, I rebooted my system after getting the 'licence invalid' message and....well bugger me, it all works fine now. No idea how or why but there you go...

I also have had this problem. I feel customer support has been of no help on the phone and through email. They told me to delete the license and then reactivate using my original activation code. That would work for maybe 30 minutes. Finally it seemed to have resolved itself. Hadn't had the error of the license being invalid come up for a few days, but just a few minutes ago the problem as popped up again. This is making me want to use a different company for protection on my computer.

Finally it seemed to have resolved itself.

This severe problem is strange. I have had the license problem only once on my two computers. Since 26.04.2012 (WinXP) and 06.05.2012 (Win7) I have not had this problem any more. Has it “resolved itself”?

Like Anne W says, support has not been to much help. The answers found in this topic are divergent.

I am really unhappy to learn that KL let their users stay in such an uncertainty. My best hope is what Product Manager Petr Filippov wrote in post #11.

Cross fingers!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.