Using Firefox v3.5.10 and KIS v11.0.2.556 (a,b,c,d)

When I download a file, the progress bar at the bottom of FF shows that the file is in progress of downloading but the download window doesn't pop up until after the file has finished downloading. I have tried disabling various components of KIS to try to narrow down the problem but have been unsuccessful. I must disable or completely exit KIS for the window to pop-up as intended.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, but as I said - everything works when KIS is disabled, so FF is not the problem. I'm guessing a setting in KIS needs to be addressed, but I can not figure out which one.

Also, I forgot to mention that before I upgraded to KIS 2011, I was using KIS 2009 and I had no issues with that version and the same version of FF.

I forgot to mention that before I upgraded to KIS 2011, I was using KIS 2009 and I had no issues with that version and the same version of FF.

Hello.....Well maybe KIS 2011 has issues with such an old version of Firefox as in the latest version of FF 3.6.17 you have this.

And if i'm not mistaken this is what you are looking for.

post-159293-1304352884_thumb.jpg

You have a major vulnerability using the version you are....Do a vulnerability scan with KIS or Secunia and they will tell you that.

Thank you TOGS for the reply. I already have FF set to download as I need. Nothing has changed with FF - it is KIS that is different in this equation. As stated above, FF works "correctly" when KIS is disabled. I do not believe FF (or any other application) should behave differently because of AV software. I believe it is the AV software that should adapt to the other software that is installed on a system and not the other way around.

I know I'm not the only one using an older version of FF with KIS 2011. I would think that there would be more reports if there was an issue with this combination of software, but since there are not, I am inclined to believe that I am missing a setting in KIS somewhere.

You have a major vulnerability using the version you are....
I totally agree, but I see it this way... even the latest version of any particular software has vulnerabilities (though "theoretically" fewer), so I am content with the version I am using at this point. I have my reasons for not updating in a timely manner, but I will leave those for another discussion because those reason are admittedly very debatable :).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Let me add something I just discovered...

When FF normally downloads a file, it creates two files in the download folder. When KIS is enabled and I download, those two files are not there, as if KIS is caching them somewhere.

Let me add something I just discovered...

When FF normally downloads a file, it creates two files in the download folder. When KIS is enabled and I download, those two files are not there, as if KIS is caching them somewhere.

are you running firefox via 'safe run for websites' or 'safe run for applications' when this happens? because try as much as I like I cannot recreate the behaviour you have described so far in any of your posts on my machines when running firefox normally with KIS 2011 or 2012 installed.

if it was my machine and I was still experiencing problems after upgrading to a newer version of firefox I would reset the KIS settings to default by:

1. Open KIS then click on settings.

2. Open Advanced by clicking on the cardboard box image.

3. Click on Manage Settings.

4. Run the Restore wizard by clicking on the Restore button.

Edited by antikythera

are you running firefox via 'safe run for websites' or 'safe run for applications'

No, I am not. I am however running with Web Anti-Virus enabled, but when I disable it I still experience this problem. As I have said, I tried disabling various components and changing various settings - too many settings/combinations of settings to list here or I would have done so.

I really would upgrade FF if I thought it would help, but I just don't see how it would make a difference. BTW, this is a fresh install of 2011 after uninstalling 2009 and then running the KIS removal tool.

well for an authorative view point as to whether or not updating firefox would help contact Kaspersky Technical Support via the open support link in my signature and explain the issue to them. you never know they may be able to suggest something all of us have overlooked so far.

A little more info... http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=438574

I just found that link while searching the web for more clues to my problem. I actually tried what Lucian Bara suggested as my first attempt to solve this and it didn't help (I actually disabled the Web Anti-virus component altogether). It seems though, as per Lucian Bara that KIS is indeed caching at least part of the download before passing it to FF as I suspected.

Knowing this, this is really starting to bug me now - not in a negative way, but rather in a "how the hell do I stop it from doing this?" way.. I understand why it has to be this way but I am willing to sacrifice the scanning during download for having my download window/progress bar back. KIS will scan the completed file at the time I access it.

I solved this in two ways, but I guess they are unsafe:

1. Settings -> Web Anti-Virus -> Settings... -> General (tab) -> light scan -> Press OK -> Press OK.

2. Settings -> Advanced Settings (fourth tab) -> Threats and Exclusions -> Settings... (under Exclusions) -> Trusted applications (tab) -> ~~~ (but I guess this is suicidal) -> Press OK -> Press OK.

edit: yes, it is, therefore it was removed.

Edited by richbuff

Whilst I appreciate Kaspersky maybe the issue here...Google are abandoning support for Firefox 3.5.x, Internet Explorer 7 and many other browsers because they are simply out of date.

This means you will start to notice loss of functionality for Google services such as Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps etc.

I would strongly advise you to update to Version 3.6.17 if you want to stay up to date but aren't interested in change. If you don't mind change then install Version 4.0.1, the issue with Kaspersky and Firefox Version 4.0.1 is now fixed.

Search the web for more useful information on Google abandoning older browsers.

Mozilla Firefox has even battered users of 3.5.x to get them to update with notifications etc. You must have seen them at some point.

Edited by nick0323

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.