ktsaved

Up2date.exe causes memory paging and server "hang"

Hi Lashchenkov.

Just to followup - I've been running the update hourly and seeing the same thing as the others....

IE, intermittent results - sometimes there is no memory flush, and sometimes there is a memory flush.

Also, the up2date task appears to exit cleanly as it isn't still running in the task manager after the scheduled update task.

So, looking forward to some new dlls to test. :)

Regards,

Josh

Please try to replace the files upd_core.dll and diffsAK.dll in the Kaspersky Administration Kit installation folder with the new files from the attached archive (version 8.0.2144) and let us know if it helps to solve the issue. Thank you!

dlls.zip

DLLs installed and one execution of the task complete without issue.

I will check back on the server in a few hours to see how it is doing (I've got the update task running every 30 minutes).

J

Hi Lashchenkov.

The update task has run 8 times with the new dlls, and so far, no problems.

I'll continue to monitor the server, but initially, it looks like we may have a winner. :)

Thanks again for the continued help,

Josh

Further update ... Just checked my server which was left overnight with the KAK console open running the update task every 30 minutes.

Everything seems OK. Event logs look very clean.

It also seems to have resolved the constant messages in the Kaspersky event log saying that the database connection had an error - but this needs more testing/monitoring to confirm.

I also think we have made a huge step forward.

J

Ok, I just tried this latest fix Ver 8.0.2144 after trying the same files that were version 8.0.2142 (which also included Upd2date.exe ver 8.0.2142). The previous version did not help but this one did.

I successfully did a full update via the admin kit. Also it went through the update much faster than before.

Previously the issue also occured when I tried to update the AV client on the server, either from the Admin Kit or from Kaspersky's update servers.

I just tried several times to manually update the client. Each time it says the files are up to date. (It has not been updated since 2.27.11.) And, the client continues to give me the warning that the databases are out of date.

What do I do with this?

(And, can we apply the same fix to the AV Client as you did to the AdminKit?)

Thanks,

KTSaved

I just tried several times to manually update the client. Each time it says the files are up to date. (It has not been updated since 2.27.11.) And, the client continues to give me the warning that the databases are out of date.

What do I do with this?

But do the updates in AK Share\Updates folder really change as a result of the AK updater task? What's there in the $klakupd.log file? Is the file Share\Updates\Index\u0607g.xml changed? What's the date of KDB bases shown in AK Updates node?

Does the issue occur with a single client only or with all your client computers? Are you sure the client is trying to update using AK as an update source (probably you had used some alternative update source while having the initial AK updater issue)?

Hello Lashchenkov,

Please try to replace the files upd_core.dll and diffsAK.dll in the Kaspersky Administration Kit installation folder with the new files from the attached archive (version 8.0.2144) and let us know if it helps to solve the issue. Thank you!

Thank you for the fix, those files are solving the problems!

Cheers,

Assertor

But do the updates in AK Share\Updates folder really change as a result of the AK updater task? What's there in the $klakupd.log file? Is the file Share\Updates\Index\u0607g.xml changed? What's the date of KDB bases shown in AK Updates node?

Does the issue occur with a single client only or with all your client computers? Are you sure the client is trying to update using AK as an update source (probably you had used some alternative update source while having the initial AK updater issue)?

I re-installed the AV client on the admin server, rebooted and the client is updating ok now.

I ran updates from from the Admin Kit all night every hour, and so far so good.

The Client is updating without the issue occurring also, whereas previously the issue would occur when updating the client apart from the Admin Kit, whether from the Admin Kit or Kaspersky Update Servers. Not sure why this is, has something changed also in the definitions that are downloaded?

I was using a temporary Admin Server but moved the machines back to the 2003 server. A note you may be interested in, is when I restored a backup of my temp Admin Server to the 2003 server, during the restore the issue of flushing memory occured, but not quite as bad as when the issue would occur with updates. The processes did not empty as low, and I had one that still had a couple of hundred MB. Thought you should now about this - maybe now since you know the issue and fix, you will know what the problem may be with that and how to fix it.

So, I am up and running with the Admin Kit on our SBS 2003 server without incident since yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Lashchenkov,

I've the same problem and after apply the files you suggested (version 8.0.2144) my server back to normal operation.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation in this forum.

Best regards,

JM

The tech handling my support case told me I needed to register these dll's. I did not register them and they are still running fine.

The tech was not aware of this version. I told him about the fix and referred him to this thread.

Do I need to register them?

Thanks,

KTSaved

the replacement of the 2 files indeed works , I have 3 days running 30 min update and I see nor hanging of update interval change.

thanks for the solution.

For me the same.

I replaced the 2 files and i don´t had any freeze or Memory restore of the prcesses.

Thanks for helping to solve the problem.

regards Dandy

question..... but if i have a major relase of version, there's some problem about your release dll?

thx

My server is running error free (nothing but Information events in the event logs) for over a week.

Update task is running every 2 hours.

Thank you!

J

My server is running error free (nothing but Information events in the event logs) for over a week.

Update task is running every 2 hours.

Thank you!

J

Can U pls tell me, which files need to be replaced?

Thanks

Go backwards through this thread ... you want the latest set of two DLLs that the KL developer posted.

Stop teh KAK service. Copy in the two DLLs (replacing them). Restart service.

At this point I also recommend clearing the repository from with KAK and letting the update task re-download all the updates.

HTH

J

Edited by Brammers

I am trying this solution now for the servers i have with Admin Kit.

However i have a couple of server with the same problem that are only running Kaspersky MP4 6.0.4.1424 for file servers and obtaining updates directly from the Kaspersky update servers.

Any thoughts on those?

Hi Lashchenkov,

I've the same problem and after applying the files you suggested my servers are UP and running.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation in this forum.

Best regards,

Carlos

This issue seems to be happening on more and more of our servers as time goes on. About once per week we'll have a different client get the issue, and then we patch it with the dll's posted on the previous page.

Starts with slowness, then if we don't use the new dll's, it will eventually crash.

We are going to start putting the new dll's on all of our servers. We can't afford to have them crash one at a time.

Can we get some more information about this issue from Kaspersky?

What exactly do these dll's do differently? What is the issue with the old dll's?

Are they going to be put into the next version of the Admin kit?

If so, when will we see the next version?

Aside from this thread, there's not much information about it. It seems to be a wide spread enough issue to warrant some more information about it.

Thanks.

Edited by allnighte

Finally, I found this thread. I have been having (I think) this issue off and on for the past 6 months or so, and consistently every morning this week I will walk in the office at 7:30 and people will be saying the server is down when it just sent me an email saying it was ok at 6:00. My updates are scheduled every six hours, and the clients to once a day in the morning, and I think the combination of the two is too much for the server to handle with the memory paging issue people are describing here.

I have installed the 8.0.2144 dlls from post #77 and will keep my fingers crossed. I ran a few updates manually and everything seems normal.

This issue seems to be happening on more and more of our servers as time goes on. About once per week we'll have a different client get the issue, and then we patch it with the dll's posted on the previous page.

Starts with slowness, then if we don't use the new dll's, it will eventually crash.

We are going to start putting the new dll's on all of our servers. We can't afford to have them crash one at a time.

Can we get some more information about this issue from Kaspersky?

What exactly do these dll's do differently? What is the issue with the old dll's?

Are they going to be put into the next version of the Admin kit?

If so, when will we see the next version?

Aside from this thread, there's not much information about it. It seems to be a wide spread enough issue to warrant some more information about it.

Thanks.

I agree 100%

I have been following this post since close to the beginning. I am running SBS 2003. Before the dll fix came into the picture I was uninstalling the Admin Kit and running the client alone and visa versa to nail down the culprit. With both running my server was locking up at very specific times of the day for about 20 min. My users were complaining at the same time daily. I finally figured out that I could remote mmc in to the server and stop the KAV 6.0.4.1424 server client service and it all came back to normal immediately. I replaced the dlls under Admin Kit version 8.0.2090 a while back and that did not fix the problem. I recently upgraded to Admin Kit version 8.0.2134 and replaced the dlls again under the new version. I am waiting to see if this fixes my issue.

We had the same issue with one of our administration servers intermittently for a week, earlier this year.

Last week we "upgraded" to Kaspersky Security Center (9.0.x) after renewing our license as this newer "admin kit" was a requirement for deploying/managing the newer Endpoint Security Version: 8.1.x.

Since upgrading to security center 9, the problem is back. The supplied dll's with the upgrade are newer than the versions listed in this thread that has fixed the issue for some. I can kill the up2date.exe process and the machine INSTANTLY becomes responsive again. I've tried threadmaster which has successfully throttled nagging applications in the past but no luck with this one.

I'm going to try switching to the klupdater 3rd party utility until I can nail this down. I COULD put this on another server in VM that won't affect other services if need be for my home location, but I have several remote offices that have their own KAK server that will need to be upgraded soon and that won't be an option for them if the issue repeats.

Edited by Faster7

Kaspersky Security Centre 9 does have SBS 2003 on the list but my experience is that it repeats the problem above, everytime it runs the updater the server grinds to a halt.

When the task to download updates to the repository runs that the server purges all the memory from the working processes to the page file resulting in the system coming unresponsive...

No sign of a solution for me yet....

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.