Sign in to follow this  
Lobster Man

False positive after deleting known malware from an excluded-from-scan directory

A while back I was cleaning out some malware I had archived on my computer for various research purposes. Recently I was deleting some of it from areas which are excluded from kaspersky protection. Later on I was browsing some of my music collection when kaspersky pointed out a jpeg file that had been identified as containing malware:

10/1/2010 05:24:20 µTorrent File Anti-Virus Deleted: Backdoor.Win32.Assasin.20.h D:\new-torrents\Cafè Sunkissed #4\cover.jpg

So I told my client to skip over this file and left it deleted.

The interesting part is, assassin was one of the pieces of software I had recently removed from my excluded directory on my hard drive...

Today I went back again and told my torrent client to try to download the cover.jpg file again, and nothing came up....and to me it seems odd that kaspersky would identify a harmless file as falsely positive immediately after removing malware from my system...