Actually that would be incorrect, because for future malware any heuristics would have to be updated/tweaked to detect as much as possible, one thing most overlook is the fact that heuristics needs constant updating as well to keep up like signatures, just not as often.

Yes, that's right, I know.

The test is simply made to see how the AV's react's on ITW stuff  3 months ago, in case you do not believe me:

Yeah, ok. Now try to think to be 3 months ago and you'll running that AV on your system...and now again think to be on today...Try to understand me because my english is really poor...I want to say that it's only a test...they're trying to demonstrate wich AV Engine reacts better to unlnown malware. They don't say that engine is the best, only that "if todmorrow the situation will be like 3 months ago the results maybe could be like this in the test"...ok?

Wip

Yes, that's right, I know.

Yeah, ok. Now try to think to be 3 months ago and you'll running that AV on your system...and now again think to be on today...Try to understand me because my english is really poor...I want to say that it's only a test...they're trying to demonstrate wich AV Engine reacts better to unlnown malware. They don't say that engine is the best, only that "if todmorrow the situation will be like 3 months ago the results maybe could be like this in the test"...ok?

Wip

Of course it's ok, it's a forum, i was just pointing out some things. :)

ProActive Test May 2006 at AV comparatives KAV got the 9th. position. What happened to it? KAV wasn't very successfull in the Proactive Test May 2006. You should verify the Proactive Test May 2006 at Http://www.av-comparatives.org. But I will expect the next test KAV will get it better! I still thumbs up for it! I believe the KAV reseachers will develop its improvement to become # 1 again. I hope so! :angry:

in the proactive test, was used the 5.0 version of KAV, not the 6.0...the 6.0 version will be tested in August...:D

edit: 6.0 is better than 5.0 at proactive protection

Edited by comRace

in the proactive test, was used the 5.0 version of KAV, not the 6.0...the 6.0 version will be tested in August...:D

edit: 6.0 is better than 5.0 at proactive protection

proactive detection won't help. v5.0 or v6.0 will score the same. perhaps just better result for speedtest ~~

proactive detection won't help. v5.0 or v6.0 will score the same. perhaps just better result for speedtest ~~

Nod32 is a better solution at this point, when dealing with newer unknown viruses. Id like to see how version 6 works, however, I dont see much of an improvement. The reg guard, and program guard are just annoying, and Nod32 scores 58% without those built in...

Nod32 only has 1% to make up on the on demand scanner, and it will top KAV across the board.

I don't think so...v6 has better proactive detection than v5...on the on-demand tests v6 and v5 have the same results... :D

I don't think so...v6 has better proactive detection than v5...on the on-demand tests v6 and v5 have the same results... :D

Even if you are right, the only thing different is the registry guard, which stops EVERY event.. Any software company could stop EVERY event changing the registry. That doesnt mean its stopping threats, it means its stopping EVERYTHING - which in turn is VERY annoying... Wanna allow this dll??? Wanna allow this change?!?!!?!

Not made for an average home user imo.

I honestly think Nod will still outscore it by a good margin. Why? Nod has 58% in this test, compared to KAV5 - 24%. Thats 24% they have to make up... Nod doesnt have a registry guard, and apparently doesnt need it.

Of course it's ok, it's a forum, i was just pointing out some things. :)

Ops, please don't misinterpret to me :D

I'm not from that site and mine are also only "things that I want to say" :D

That's why I don't think that every user will choose Advanced Protection in KAV or KIS and they will stick to Basic. Also I do have to remind you that that 1% means a lot of viruses NOD32 misses. KAV always detected around 99% of the viruses in a test, while NOD...

This AV comparative thing...KAV won it a lot of times when it didn't have to use 3 months old definitions. NOD32 wins only when it comes to heuristics and that's it. That registry module is meant for a program not to get you infected by modifying registry settings.

Edited by FadeToBlack

That's why I don't think that every user will choose Advanced Protection in KAV or KIS and they will stick to Basic. Also I do have to remind you that that 1% means a lot of viruses NOD32 misses. KAV always detected around 99% of the viruses in a test, while NOD...

This AV comparative thing...KAV won it a lot of times when it didn't have to use 3 months old definitions. NOD32 wins only when it comes to heuristics and that's it. That registry module is meant for a program not to get you infected by modifying registry settings.

There is no doubt in my mind that nod32 will detect just as many viruses as KAV simply based on superior heuristics. They are both top notch AVs, and I own both of them actually. At this point though, ill take Nod32 over KAV. There are some things about KAV that bother me.

You also need to know, that if you take off Advanced mode, all that ive seen that do is turn OFF the registry protection and program integrity. It doesnt silence it, it turns them OFF. So basic users want less protection? Doubt it...

Has anyone here actually had NOD32 catch an unknown virus by it's advanced heuristics that was not caught by other AV's? I have used NOD32 for 2 or more years and this has never happened once.

On the other hand I had KAV catch numerous trojans and other malware that NOD32 told me were clean. These were all confirmed by other AV's.

Are advanced heuristics just hype?

Has anyone here actually had NOD32 catch an unknown virus by it's advanced heuristics that was not caught by other AV's?  I have used NOD32 for 2 or more years and this has never happened once.

On the other hand I had KAV catch numerous trojans and other malware that NOD32 told me were clean.  These were all confirmed by other AV's.

Are advanced heuristics just hype?

Never seen nod32 give me a false positive. KIS 6.0 said www.nod32.com was a phishing site, Azureus installation file was a trojan, mIRC was a trojan, etc etc...

Every form of the blaster virus was blocked with nod32 without an update... NO UPDATE!!! Thats future proofing if I ever saw it.

Never seen nod32 give me a false positive.  KIS 6.0 said www.nod32.com was a phishing site, Azureus installation file was a trojan, mIRC was a trojan, etc etc...

Every form of the blaster virus was blocked with nod32 without an update... NO UPDATE!!!  Thats future proofing if I ever saw it.

Kaspersky has not flagged any of those as a trojan, but simply as riskware, which it is and furthermore it was acompanied by a "Not-a-virus:" which you convieniently left out.

For the record, i have used both products and both have given some false positives, in Kaspersky's cases 4-5 over 5 years which is not excessive.

Kaspersky has not flagged any of those as a trojan, but simply as riskware, which it is and furthermore it was acompanied by a "Not-a-virus:" which you convieniently left out.

For the record, i have used both products and both have given some false positives, in Kaspersky's cases 4-5 over 5 years which is not excessive.

It stated they were trojans with the red popup, and told me to delete them. Isnt riskware the yellow screen?

Either way, KIS6 has too many bugs to even bother with right now. Should have been released 6 months from now.

Sad thing is, im sure Nod32 version 3 is right around the corner, so heads up on that one!

Dont get me wrong KAV/KIS is a great solution, just not the best like they claim it to be. Nod32 is much faster, uses far less resources, and has a TON of options.

It stated they were trojans with the red popup, and told me to delete them.  Isnt riskware the yellow screen?

Either way, KIS6 has too many bugs to even bother with right now.  Should have been released 6 months from now.

Sad thing is, im sure Nod32 version 3 is right around the corner, so heads up on that one!

Dont get me wrong KAV/KIS is a great solution, just not the best like they claim it to be. Nod32 is much faster, uses far less resources, and has a TON of options.

Nope, they're classified as "Risktool" and are informational and only detected with the third malware bases option (which i personally almost never use), it's up to you if you wish to continue using them, it's an option.

Whether Nod uses less resources witll depend on a number of things, such as you specific hard/software setup, in mine there is nothing between them and KIS actually uses less memory.

Yes, Nod is a little faster on-demand, but it will also not scan as deep and open as many archives,

Nope, they're classified as "Risktool" and are informational and only detected with the  third malware bases option (which i personally almost never use), it's up to you if you wish to continue using them, it's an option.

Whether Nod  uses less resources witll depend on a number of things, such as you specific hard/software setup, in mine there is nothing between them and KIS actually uses less memory.

Yes, Nod is a little faster on-demand, but it will also not scan as deep and open as many archives,

Nod32 scans 165k files on my system as well as archives. When I run a full Kis6 with the full settings on, it scans less files. I come up in the 150k range.

The fact that I didnt even need an updated to Nod when the blaster virus hit, was a huge selling point for me.

Nod32 scans 165k files on my system as well as archives.  When I run a full Kis6 with the full settings on, it scans less files.  I come up in the 150k range. 

The fact that I didnt even need an updated to Nod when the blaster virus hit, was a huge selling point for me.

Your system must be unique if Nod on full settings scans more files than Kav on full settings!

Sorry to seem a little cynical but your posts seem to be what they refer to as trolling!

Nod32 scans 165k files on my system as well as archives.  When I run a full Kis6 with the full settings on, it scans less files.  I come up in the 150k range. 

Well, thats good for you, bbplayer. For some this is the one and for others it will Kaspersky, The amount of scanned files say nothing about how it scans them, just as the amount of signatures say virtually nothing about detection (how many viruses it detects).

For some detection against the worms Nod users apparantly are getting on a weekly basis is the most important issue detectionwise, for others a broader detection of both this other stuff is more important, for me it is because i have never been hit with a zeroday attack, but have many times been alerted to trojans and trojandownloaders. To each his/her own.

This is the Kaspersky forum btw, in case you had not noticed ;) and it is not advertising space for other AV's....including the the one you use, you are obviously a very dedicated user, but i think we get your point now and i hope you can take a friend hint. :)

Well, thats good for you, bbplayer. For some this is the one and for others it will Kaspersky, The amount of scanned files say nothing about how it scans them, just as the amount of signatures say virtually nothing about detection (how many viruses it detects).

For some detection against the worms Nod users apparantly are getting on a weekly basis is the most important issue detectionwise, for others a broader detection of both this other stuff is more important, for me it is because i have never been hit with a zeroday attack, but have many times been alerted to trojans and trojandownloaders. To each his/her own.

This is the Kaspersky forum btw, in case you had not noticed ;)  and it is not advertising space for other AV's....including the the one you use, you are obviously a very dedicated user, but i think we get your point now and i hope you can take a friend hint. :)

Hi Don

If this was Wilders and the same type of thing had been done there(reversing Kav and Nod in the "playlist")the thread would have been closed by now lol

Hi Don

If this was Wilders and the same type of thing had been done there(reversing Kav and Nod in the "playlist")the thread would have been closed by now lol

Yes, it probably would have, but we're not Wilders! ;)

Hi Don

LOL.

I agree.

KAV should enhance its heuristic module, in order to cope with NOD32

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=13340

quding, as you have already been told a couple of times, that a new heuristics module is already in development, you even created your own thread on this in the "Suggestions for current and future versions of KL products" and also it should not be to cope with Nod, it should be to be able to detect more viruses proactively which 6.0 btw already is doing with the proactive defense!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.