i can see that some ppl have taken and understood what i posted in the wrong way. i am not advocating any other AV over KAV and am not saying "comeon ppl its time to put nod32 on ur systems instead of KAV". i am still using KAV till now and i havent even downloaded the trial version of nod32 but i do expect better from KAV ... and am sure all of u here expect better too. i am just concerned cause according to the results on av comparatives i feel KAV is either not moving forward in the pace it used to or maybe it is but the other AVs are moving forward in a faster pace. Either way, KAV developers owe it to themselves - if not to us users - to show the AV market what they are really capable of.

I see the results as a danger sign on the road ahead .... not 'a time to switch tracks'. And i hope something positive comes out of the results cause i - and am sure lots of u - dont want to switch tracks.

Lets get some perspective on this.

1. First of all, Kaspersky is adding signatures at a fast pace as it has done for a long time (unlike most others).

2. The test shows only the heuristic detection made with three months old signatures and what most who looks at the comparatives used to overlook is this (it has since been removed):

NOTE: All products detects with updated signatures/programs most of the samples used in this test (and 100% of the ITW-samples) - Please update your scanner as often as possible in order to be protected!

Now as i already posted, i don't really know a lot of pc's that would use three months old signatures and still expect to detect all the new stuff (ITW), heuristics or not... ;)

3. Would i personally mind that Kaspersky made a better heuristics module?.............no, not at all and they are in the process of doing that, it will not be done overnight, making an effective one takes a lot of time and thought, it is probably relatively easy to make an very effective, but false positive ridden module, the trick of course is to balance effectiveness and as little FP's as possible, not an easy task!

4. So there is no need to worry about your Kaspersky detection here and now, it is as good as it was yesterday before this test was make public.

Hello ,

Just my opinion , based on my personal experience , ok ?

Stronger the heuristics greater the FPs . I've always trusted on KAV's engine and updates , and that was and is enough for me after three years using KAV , in real world usage - at least , * my world * .

Regards ,

mozar

That's why we use Kaspersky and not NOD32. I miself have used NOD32 due to it's heuristic module and I am still wondering why I have done that. I mean, I don't have to download 1GB of updates daily just to be protected and that's why I use KAV 6 at the moment.

i am just concerned cause according to the results on av comparatives i feel KAV is either not moving forward in the pace it used to or maybe it is but the other AVs are moving forward in a faster pace. Either way, KAV developers owe it to themselves - if not to us users - to show the AV market what they are really capable of.

Most users would agree that Kaspersky have made great efforts in the leap from KAV 5/AntiHacker to KAV/KIS 6. Once the new features are tweaked then they will be head and shoulders over the competition who will then have to play catchup. Have you seen the early screenshots of the Eset Security Suite? Very similar to KIS 6.

As Don suggests, you need to put the results over at av-comparatives into perspective.

To be honest I'm not really bothered what method my AV uses to catch nasties as long as it does!nobody in their right mind would use any av with old sigs and expect to be protected,and lets face it even the best in this test wasn't good!

So what does it prove:-If you use Nod with old sigs you'll pick up less infections than you would using Kav with old sigs,problem is your still going to get infected and your PC probably screwed!

Loosecannon et all!

Food for thought: I have used all the AV's in the "top" of this test and one of the top 3 is the only AV ever to infect me three times.

You're right Don.

I know exactly what you mean.

It happened with me too.:)

Edited by DonKid

I have just read "Computer Shopper" June 2006 (UK) magazine and KAV6 gets 5 stars. I think there has to be a cut-off point where ppl have to place their trust in the package they select and from what i have read KAV is always near the top of various evaluations and reviews. It seems far too early to jump ship but continual reboots are becoming a bit of a nuisance.

PS

NOD32 2.5 only got 3 stars and missed a trojan.

I'm Brand new Here to Kaspersky, Maybe I made the wrong Move?? Ehh Probably not.....Why are you called Loosecannon anyway. The Avitar's pretty tight

No, don't worry, you made the right choice. ;)

Hi to all.

I have been reading your posts from times to times but I have never posted.

I am using KAV for more than one year and I must say I have gained my peace.

Before Kav I was using Norton,Mcafee (not cracked or anything),zonealarm etc

My system was full of viruses.Boot sector viruses and trojans that kav detected.

I am a forex (foreign exchange.currency trading )trader and in my pc I have important information for bank accounts ,passwords for trading programs ,passwords for trading accounts and personal information .

I was very lucky that someone didnt empty my accounts when I was using norton!

With Kav no such problem though.No trojans no viruses absolutely nothing.

Maybe some of you want to be secure for a hobby but for me it is crucial.Absolutely crucial and I must say that Kav has delivered its promises.

When Outpost subscription ends I am going to subscribe for KIS.

Now about the tests.

How can we be sure that the guy performing the tests is trully independent?

I mean he does spend a lot of time and effort in these tests.

His tests determine the quality of a product in the mind of many readers.If he wants he can exploit it to gain cash.

I am not implying anything about him,just...Can we really trust his results completely?

When cash are involved you can only trust very few people.

Hello  ,

Just  my  opinion ,  based  on  my  personal  experience , ok ?

Stronger  the  heuristics  greater  the  FPs . I've  always  trusted  on  KAV's  engine  and  updates  , and  that  was  and  is  enough  for  me  after  three  years  using  KAV , in  real  world  usage  - at  least  , * my world * .

Regards  ,

mozar

Beautiful words and very true indeed. The proof is in eating the pudding. I am never been hit by a virus "in the real word" when using KAV (I am using KAV longer than a year now). I have trialed many AV proggies but with Kaspersky I feel most safe and it proves to be safe.

I trust this company that's why I have recently renewed my license for another 2-years.

The only reason I can think of leaving Kaspersky is when the would sell the company to symantec :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Egghead

If you use definitions that are 3 months old... then you have only yourself to blame if you get infected, not the anti virus program. Whichever anti virus you use.

Kaspersky is much more complex than NOD32, that's why it has the features it has.

It seems that if it's more complex it's better. I think there are several operations needed to find out that something is a possible thread risk/virus.

For me ,KAV still the best no matter what !!!!!

P.S Who the hell wants to have an av without updating it ???????

That test used KAV Pro v5 so it's to be expected I suppose. It'd be interesting to see what results would be gained with v6.

not much better i think because ibk doesn't start the malware (which is needed for pdm), he's using the on-demand scan.

If you use definitions that are 3 months old... then you have only yourself to blame if you get infected, not the anti virus program. Whichever anti virus you use.

That's not the sense of AV-Comp Proactive Test...take a moment to read their site please.

The test is made to probe how each AV could work today for the zero-day malware of tomorrow, understand? But the only possible Test to probe this is to scan new malware with 3months old signatures...ok?

P.S.

In this case, KIS 6.0 PDM Module couldn't enter in game...beacause it's a realtime protection.

It's a false statement. This is a test to prove how the AVs are doing with the detection of malware untill that moment without using updates databases. This doesn't offer us something of what the future will give us. I mean, it's normal for heuristics to do their job, but let's face the fact that it is more important for an AV vendor to give you the virus name instead of something that sais that it's detected by heuristics, right?

However I admire NOD's heuristic module that really seem to work. Untill the new Kaspersky heuristics we will have to settle with the most updated Anti-Virus ever. That makes me stay quiet :).

It's a false statement. This is a test to prove how the AVs are doing with the detection of malware untill that moment without using updates databases. This doesn't offer us something of what the future will give us.

Just read better what i wrote:

The test is made to probe how each AV could work today for the zero-day malware of tomorrow

So "could" and "zero-day" threats...not even all malware of the future...

I mean, it's normal for heuristics to do their job, but let's face the fact that it is more important for an AV vendor to give you the virus name instead of something that sais that it's detected by heuristics, right?

Quite right. If you're completely right so Kaspersky Lab developed PDM for nothing!!!

Think about it...

Wip

Just read better what i wrote:

The test is made to probe how each AV could work today for the zero-day malware of tomorrow

Actually that would be incorrect, because for future malware any heuristics would have to be updated/tweaked to detect as much as possible, one thing most overlook is the fact that heuristics needs constant updating as well to keep up like signatures, just not as often.

The test is simply made to see how the AV's react's on ITW stuff 3 months ago, in case you do not believe me:

This test shows the pure proactive ON-DEMAND detection capability that the scanners had 3 months ago

The only reason I can think of leaving Kaspersky is when the would sell the company to symantec  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's very easy for companies that has a lot of money, to try everything to stay in the top.

When they can't create a better product, they simply buy the rival's company and of course change the logo.Probably they'll fell happy, because what they can't create or copy, they think they can buy it.

Don't worry.It won't happen with KL. :D

Thanks God.

i dont give a f* about any so called "tests". i had a virus once, because the AV software was too stupid to find a 2 year old virus. then i decided to test on my own. 7 Scanners.

and KAV WAS, IS AND WILL BE THE BEST. Basta.

KIS ROCKS ;)

and KAV WAS, IS AND WILL BE THE BEST. Basta.

KIS ROCKS ;)

I feel Kav is the best at present,butmight not always be:-thats rather an over optimistic statement(or could be pessimistic re other AV developers lol)

I feel Kav is the best at present,butmight not always be:-thats rather an over optimistic statement(or could be pessimistic re other AV developers lol)

I'll agree to the extent that KL better not rest on its laurels--it will need to adapt & be willing to change to keep up w/ competitors.

P.S Who the hell wants to have an av without updating it ???????
That's not as far fetched as it sounds. I remember reading a report from a Technical Support person telling of a customer who had a computer problem due to a virus. It turned out they did have an anti-virus program installed on their system, but it was never updated because they believed once installed that was it and it could be left to do its job.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.