howard-moore

KPM IE tab freeze, and will not start.

Hi,

I recently installed Kaspersky Password Manager, as the manager that came bundled with my Asus laptop (with Vista) was not compatible when I upgraded to Windows 7. The manager is great and doing everything that I wanted, but there is a strange bug where one tab of Internet Explorer will freeze, and the only way to unfreeze it is to go to Task Manager and end the iexplore.exe process (whilst at the same time trying to guess which of the iexplore processes is the frozen tab!). It is definately an issue with the Password Manager, as I have tried uninstalling it all and the error goes away.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this or (better still) if there is a fix for it?

My System Info details are:

Kaspersky Password Manager Info

----------------------------------------------------------

Kaspersky Password Manager version: 4.0.0.133

Database file name: C:\Users\neilpfister.AWB\Documents\General\Passwords Database\default.pws

Database backup path: C:\Users\neilpfister.AWB\Documents\General\Passwords Database\

Database Encryption Parameters: Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider, RC4, 128 bits

Kaspersky Password Manager Common Settings

Language: English

Autofill Plugins

CurrentXPIVersion: 4.0.116

Windows Internet Explorer

WebBrowserExists: True

WebBrowserModuleFileName: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Version: 8.00.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Installed add-ons:

Name: Adobe PDF Helper for Internet Explorer

Version: 9.1.0.163

Company: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Name: Safe Search for Internet Explorer

Version: 9.0.0.713

Company: AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.

Name: Search Helper for Internet Explorer

Version: 1.3.59.0

Company: Microsoft Corporation

Name: Adobe PDF Toolbar for Internet Explorer

Name: GoogleToolbarNotifier

Version: 5.1.1309.3572

Company: Google Inc.

Name: Java Platform SE binary

Version: 6.0.170.4

Company: Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Mozilla Firefox

WebBrowserModuleFileName: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Version: 1.9.0.15

Installed add-ons:

Name: Java Console

Version: 6.0.16

Version: 6.0.17

Name: Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant

Version: 1.1

Company: Microsoft

Homepage: http://www.windowsclient.net/

Name: Password Manager Autofill Engine

Version: 4.0.116

Company: Kaspersky Lab

Homepage: http://www.kaspersky.com

Mozilla Thunderbird

WebBrowserModuleFileName: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

Version: 1.8.1.14: 2008042104

OS Info

Local language: English (United Kingdom)

Local country: United Kingdom

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 6.01.7600 Professional Personal

Administrative rights: True

UAC Enabled: True

Elevation Type: Limited

Facing the same problem! Internet Explorer freezing after some time.

(My OS ist Windows 7; I'm using IE8). As far as I try to close "Password Manager"

at that stage, IE will crash as a result.

I can confirm, the behaviour is linked to "Password Manager". As soon as the product is uninstalled,

or is in the "blocked" state (master password is not entred yet), the "IE freeze issue" does no longer occure.

Is there a fix available?

---

My system configuration is attached:

Database file name: \\S-WIN2003\Daten\Thomas\Eigene Dateien\Passwords Database\default.pws

Database backup path: \\S-WIN2003\Daten\Thomas\Eigene Dateien\Passwords Database\

Database Encryption Parameters: Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider, RC4, 128 bits

Language: Deutsch

Autofill Plugins

Windows Internet Explorer

Version: 8.00.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Installed add-ons:

Version: 9.3.0.148

Name: Search Helper for Internet Explorer

Version: 1.3.59.0

Name: Microsoft® Windows Live ID Login Helper

Version: 6.500.3146.0

Name: SiteAdvisor

Version: 3.0.0.479

Company: McAfee, Inc.

Name: Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar

Version: 1.0.2188.0

Name: Java Platform SE binary

Version: 6.0.170.4

Company: Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Name: Windows Live Toolbar Core

Version: 14.0.8064.206

Mozilla Firefox

Version: 1.9.1.6

AutoInstalledState: True

ManualInstalledState: False

InstalledXPIInfo.XPIVersion: 4.0.116

InstalledXPIInfo.UserDisabled: Nein

InstalledXPIInfo.AppDisabled: Nein

Installed add-ons:

Name: Firebug

Version: 1.5.0

Company: Joe Hewitt

Homepage: http://www.getfirebug.com/

Version: 6.0.17

Name: McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise

Version: 3.0.0.479

Company: McAfee Inc.

Homepage: http://www.siteadvisor.com/

OS Info

Local language: Deutsch (Schweiz)

Local country: Schweiz

Administrative rights: False

UAC Enabled: True

Facing exactly the same problem on Windows 7 (English) & Internet Explorer 8.

I hope Kaspersky Labs could produce a fast and efficient solution for this issue.

Burak Tasci,

Istanbul

OS Info

Regional Settings: English (US)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Administrative Rights: True

UAC Enabled: False

Hi,

I recently installed Kaspersky Password Manager, as the manager that came bundled with my Asus laptop (with Vista) was not compatible when I upgraded to Windows 7. The manager is great and doing everything that I wanted, but there is a strange bug where one tab of Internet Explorer will freeze, and the only way to unfreeze it is to go to Task Manager and end the iexplore.exe process (whilst at the same time trying to guess which of the iexplore processes is the frozen tab!). It is definately an issue with the Password Manager, as I have tried uninstalling it all and the error goes away.

Having the exact same problem here. I'm using Windows 7+IE8+Kaspersky PURE 900192.

Greetings.

Has this problem been resolved? If so, where can I learn how?

I am having the same issue with Vista Ultimate 32bit and IE8 on a well-configured and well-maintained laptop.

Where can I go for more information if this forum thread is inactive?

I disabled the addin for IE and no more crashes. Can still use the tray icon to launch logins but more of a pain

Quick update on this post (I was the chap who started originally).

I have contacted Kaspersky Support and have provided all system details for them to find a fix. They seem really quick and on the ball about it, so I don't think it will take too long. In the meantime, I find that by closing the iexplore.exe process in Task Manager shuts down Internet Explorer (you may have to close down a few of them to get the right tab if you have more than one open) and then restarts from the same page as before.

Thank you both Howard-Moore and RLum .

Ending the IE process with Task Manager has always been an option but disabling the add-on is a new idea for me. I find that the last tab opened and then populated by KPM is the problem. Usually, I can actually continue to access other opened tabs and open new ones.

I have such a high regard for Kaspersky and am, therefore, very surprised and disappointed that they have let this problem remain unresolved for so long. And, unlike you H-M, they were anything but helpful when I spent nearly an hour in a chat session with one of their very pleasant Support Reps.

I am using a trial version of Password Manager. So, if the problem is not resolved in the next 7 - 10 days, I will go with RoboForm and be done with this. :dash1:

Will share any info I get concerning our problem.

Thanks again. :bt:

--- JMJ

Edited by jmjsquared

Greetings.

Another possible work-around while we wait for a real fix from Kaspersky:

If your browser/tab freezes, use KPM to log in AGAIN to the last tab it populated before the freeze. You can then close that tab/window and continue browsing without having to use Task Manager, etc. I have only tried this with IE8.

Also, Vista/IE8 doen not list Password Manager as an add-on or extension in my list of "Manage Addons". Does anyone have any idea why not?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--- JMJ

Greetings.

Another possible work-around while we wait for a real fix from Kaspersky:

If your browser/tab freezes, use KPM to log in AGAIN to the last tab it populated before the freeze. You can then close that tab/window and continue browsing without having to use Task Manager, etc. I have only tried this with IE8.

Also, Vista/IE8 doen not list Password Manager as an add-on or extension in my list of "Manage Addons". Does anyone have any idea why not?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--- JMJ

Interesting workaround - I will give that one a go.

As to why it is not listed as an add-on, I am not sure why this might be. I presume that it does not actually work as an add-on to IE8.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful there, but my knowledge of how Windows works is relatively limited!

Thanks,

Neil

I have given up on trying to make Kapsersky Password Manager behave as advertised.

It seems that successively new Security Software companies rise to the top and then stumble and fall to second or third... or fifteenth place just because of unresolved issues like ours.

Kaspersky has risen and, in my opinion, is now falling. I like the company and have enjoyed and trusted its products for several years. But, now,I think it is time to move on to the newest Best-in-Class company.

I will continue to check this forum to see what is new, with the hope that Kaspersky can win back my confidence AND money.

Good luck, especially to Howard-Moore and RLum, who should expect to receive private messages from me, soon if not immediately.

Ciao! :hi:

KPM locking up IE has been a serious problem since I purchased over a month ago and I have not seen any information saying it is being worked on or when it will be released. I am very disappointed with the lack of communication about the issue.

This bug makes the product UNUSABLE :dash1:

I have been using K products for years and touting them as the best but after this experience I have doubts. I will be purchasing RoboForm and uninstalling KPM I can’t wait another month or longer for a resolution when there is no discussion that one is in the works.

When will there be a release that fixes the IE8 lockup? :dash1:

Contacted support - got a ticket number. Then a few days later got a closed ticket saying it was resolved. NO one contacted me. Very, Very disappointed with Kaspersky here......

Hi there, rlum.

Stop torturing yourself with this problem. It is very clear that Kaspersky has decided not to support this product and are probably waiting for those of us who "complain" to simply go away!

I have "gone away" to RoboForm which has worked perfectly. It does have a toolbar but it can be removed and/or customized to your heart's content. I highly recommend it.

I wish I could find a good replacement for KIS 2010, too; then I would also drop that for a year-or-so, just to vote my displeasure with Kaspersky by taking my few bucks away. If enough of us do just that, then they will get over their arrogant disregard for the individual consumer.

Best of luck to All.

--- JMJ

Yep I purchased RoboForm and have been using that for several weeks now. Still would like to see a resolution to this issue but your comments are true. I do like the KIS product though have not had any issues with that. I suppose if I did the support would be the same though.

I love KIS 2010 and 2011 beta. I used to be a ZoneAlarm guy but once I discovered Kaspersky, have been a loyal user.

I am really at a loss as to why any company, especially one with their reputation, would allow such a minor problem to tarnish their name.

But, like with a bad girlfriend (or boyfriend, I guess), you patiently try but when no resolution is forthcoming... hit the road!

Kaspersky Admins,

My disappointment with this product has been growing since no-one has given any feedback as to how to fix the IE8 / IE9 bug of freezing tabs (see http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...ssword+manager).

However, a new issue has now arisen whereby every time I restart my PC Kaspersky Password Manager will not start, and I have to reinstall it every time. I have removed the software entirely and reinstalled, and this is making a nonsense of it.

If this, and the above freezing tabs issue are not resolved soon I demand that Kaspersky refund the money I have paid for a perpetual licence, and the product is unusable.

Below (again) are my details:

Database file name: C:\Users\neilpfister\Documents\General\Passwords Database\default.pws

Database backup path: C:\Users\neilpfister\Documents\General\Passwords Database\

Autofill Plugins

Windows Internet Explorer provided by AWB Partnership

Version: 9.00.7930.16406 (WIN7_IE9_Beta.100831-2345)

Installed add-ons:

Version: 9.4.0.195

Name: Safe Search for Internet Explorer

Version: 10.0.0.1151

Company: AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.

Name: Microsoft Office Document Cache Handler

Version: 14.0.4750.1000

Mozilla Firefox

Version: 1.9.2.12

AutoInstalledState: True

ManualInstalledState: False

InstalledXPIInfo.XPIVersion: 4.0.116

InstalledXPIInfo.UserDisabled: No

InstalledXPIInfo.AppDisabled: No

Installed add-ons:

Name: Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant

Version: 1.1

Company: Microsoft

Homepage: http://www.windowsclient.net/

Name: AVG Safe Search

Version: 10.0.0.1151

Company: AVG, Inc.

Homepage: http://www.avg.com

OS Info

Local language: English (United Kingdom)

Local country: United Kingdom

Administrative rights: True

UAC Enabled: False

Kaspersky Admins,

My disappointment with this product has been growing since no-one has given any feedback as to how to fix the IE8 / IE9 bug of freezing tabs (see http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...ssword+manager).

However, a new issue has now arisen whereby every time I restart my PC Kaspersky Password Manager will not start, and I have to reinstall it every time. I have removed the software entirely and reinstalled, and this is making a nonsense of it.

If this, and the above freezing tabs issue are not resolved soon I demand that Kaspersky refund the money I have paid for a perpetual licence, and the product is unusable.

After waiting patiently for another week for a response from Kaspersky I have managed to resolve the reboot issue. However, I am STILL waiting for a resolution to the IE tab freezing issue.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can someone at Kaspersky just tell us what is happening with this. They are still selling the product but it is not working on the most popular browser in the world!! If they cannot fix the bug, please tell us and arrange for a refund, because it is a very bad one. BUT, DO TELL US!!!

A very frustrated customer!

Neil

After waiting patiently for another week for a response from Kaspersky I have managed to resolve the reboot issue. However, I am STILL waiting for a resolution to the IE tab freezing issue.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can someone at Kaspersky just tell us what is happening with this. They are still selling the product but it is not working on the most popular browser in the world!! If they cannot fix the bug, please tell us and arrange for a refund, because it is a very bad one. BUT, DO TELL US!!!

A very frustrated customer!

Neil

Hi!

Any news regarding this issue?

I have used password manager for 3 weeks without any problem.

A few days ago, my pc starts acting as described here.

The only way to overcome the problem, is to use task manager OR closing down password manager (using the EXIT option).

This is not the way it should work!

Kaspersky, please do something about it...

EDIT: it also seems that surfing the internet with password manager locked, also cure the problems.

Thanks and regards,

Ole Martin

Edited by Ole Martin

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.