seams this is all a myth as there is no proof so i'm gona role with it lol.

390575[/snapback]

Yeah, take a deep breath and relax. wink.gif If this was a major issue, there would be many more reports. I'm the majority of users never notice anything at all. I've been using it all the time, with iChecker and iSwift, both XP and Vista, and I can run chkdsk without slowdowns or errors.

Yeah, take a deep breath and relax. wink.gif If this was a major issue, there would be many more reports. I'm the majority of users never notice anything at all. I've been using it all the time, with iChecker and iSwift, both XP and Vista, and I can run chkdsk without slowdowns or errors.

390579[/snapback]

Maybe not a major issue but the fact remains some users are having problems.

It would be nice to find the answer as to what is causing the problem these people are seeing. cool.gif

Yes, I agree that at least a removal tool would be warranted. At the same time, I think the problem has been blown out of proportion. Not to the users affected, but in the sense that it's something bad and dangerous for everyones hard drives.

I just did a full system scan scan with KIS7 with both iChecker and iSwift enabled, followed by a chkdsk. No slowdowns, no lock-ups, and there was more than 400 GB of data to be processed.

This is the first time I've run chkdsk with KIS7, so no problems to report here.

I just did a full system scan scan with KIS7 with both iChecker and iSwift enabled, followed by a chkdsk. No slowdowns, no lock-ups, and there was more than 400 GB of data to be processed.

This is the first time I've run chkdsk with KIS7, so no problems to report here.

390698[/snapback]

How long did it take you to run the chkdsk?

Ran one yesterday.

Took an hr. and 13 minutes for a little over 14GB.

No errors though. smile.gif

How long did it take you to run the chkdsk?

Ran one yesterday.

Took an hr. and 13 minutes for a little over 14GB.

No errors though. smile.gif

390711[/snapback]

How many files do you have on the 14GB drive?

How many files do you have on the 14GB drive?

391087[/snapback]

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I never received the e-mail stating there was a reply.

Roughly 40,000 files.

No errors but the time involved seems quite long.

Any opinions?

Thanks. smile.gif

i have the same schk or whatever problem...

and when i disable that it does not help....

i had the same problem on kis 6.0.0.621 and now i m using 7.o.0.125 and no more problems with the chdisk error on system reboot smile.gif

i had  the same  problem  on  kis 6.0.0.621    and  now  i m using  7.o.0.125  and  no  more  problems with  the  chdisk  error  on  system reboot  smile.gif

392490[/snapback]

Great! How many files and indexes does CHKDSK report? Is there any noticeable delay at or during Stage 2?

I believe the NTSF object identifiers added to every file and left over from iSwift even after KAV is removed are overwhelming CHKDSK in some systems and causing a widely reported delay at or during Stage 2. We are hoping that the iSwift developers will provide a removal tool for the legacy NTSF object identifiers.

Thanks.

<snip>I believe the NTSF object identifiers added to every file and left over from iSwift even after KAV is removed are overwhelming CHKDSK in some systems and causing a widely reported delay at or during Stage 2.  We are hoping that the iSwift developers will provide a removal tool for the legacy NTSF object identifiers.

<snip>

392923[/snapback]

Having followed this debate for some months, being afflicted with the CHKDSK problem soon after installing KIS 6, I have to say that the response from Kaspersky to the many requests for such a tool from yourself, Dantz and others (including me) has not so far been encouraging. It seems very difficult to convince Kaspersky Support, or for that matter KIS/KAV users who have not encountered it, that the problem exists at all, let alone that it is caused by iSwift data. Even sending KL Support copies of reports from a post-KIS O&O Defrag run stating 'file system damaged' was a pretty fruitless exercise, resulting in a 'cannot replicate' response and a baffling request to 'send details of all my activities'! I like KIS very much, but this issue does continue to give me nagging concerns.

100% agree north pole! (y)

393393[/snapback]

I agree also.

It's sad too. Been using KIS6 and now 7 and I have to say it's the best I've ever used. But, if this is causing long term problems it will have to go.

I will be watching this issue to see what comes of it.

I would like to see Kav more responsive to these possible problems also.

If they continue to remain silent to the requests they have received and do not address the issue, their silence could be construed as a sign of guilt.

I agree also.

It's sad too. Been using KIS6 and now 7 and I have to say it's the best I've ever used. But, if this is causing long term problems it will have to go.

I will be watching this issue to see what comes of it.

I would like to see Kav more responsive to these possible problems also.

If they continue to remain silent to the requests they have received and do not address the issue, their silence could be construed as a sign of guilt.

393407[/snapback]

Edited by duke1959

My experience is similar to MAPKOBA^^'s. I have used plenty of v6 and v7 builds (including Beta .055) and my computer has not exploded, imploded, mutated nor spontaniously cumbusted. It has never told me that it needs to do a CHKDSK or that it is recomended that I do a CHKDSK. I have seen such prompts on other machines stateing need to run CHKDSK, but those machines never saw KIS. My CHKDSK is unchanged since I Have been using KIS. I am confident that KIS will not prevent CHKDSK from doing its thing in life, in a timely manner. Any AV will not be unnoticable, at many levels, once installed on a machine. If I were a professional AV tester, I would have professional hardware and software on tap so I can revert as I go from AV "n" to AV "n+1" as "n" approaches infinity. My ego has accepted the fact that I am not a professional AV tester, so having finally found a security suite that I am happy with, I have humbly accepted the fact that it will lock itself down into my system in ways that I may not be technologicaly advanced to understand. Thank you for the live link. The dead version of the same link was posted in this forum in a different thread about a week ago. EDIT: Grammer, punctuation, spelling and math errors (but not all).

Edited by richbuff

the only time i have ever gotten chkdsk errors, were when i had a bad harddrive or my defragment software messed up. hasn't happend with kaspersky installed either time. i think you guys have bad luck sad.gif

check your defrag software thats what caused it the most for me.

I've had KAV 6.0 and 7.0 beta's on a large single partition drive. Size is 640gig, one partition, about 24 gig in use. No issues. But I'd never run it from windows, and actually have only run it once in the 7 months I've owned the computer. My computer manufacture strongly recommends only running it from the Windows CD.

Only reason I actually ran chkdsk was to see if I actually had any issue. I didn't.

Pete

I've had KAV 6.0 and 7.0 beta's on a large single partition drive.  Size is  640gig, one partition, about 24 gig in use.  No issues.  But I'd never run it from windows, and actually have only run it once in the 7 months I've owned the computer.  My computer manufacture strongly recommends only running it from the Windows CD.

Only reason I actually ran chkdsk was to see if I actually had any issue.  I didn't.

Pete

395206[/snapback]

There is no denying that KAV/KIS affects chkdsk. Most people have a stage 2 delay and that's it. No problems. I have KIS installed on two freshly formatted computers and both have the stage 2 delay.

But chkdsk is a very sensitive program indeed. I had troubles with a version of ZoneAlarm because of which chkdsk refused to run at all.

Yesterday I reformatted my daughter's computer because it did not run the right way. I had installed many security programs, like AVG Free, Comodo, McAfee, AVS, KAV, KIS, ZoneAlarm, Spysweeper. I tested Diskeeper on it, Pagedrag. In the end it refused to do a chkdsk at all. After having reformatted the hard disk and installed all the programs I also installed KIS again. Chkdsk does its job after a longish stage 2 delay. No more testing for me. I am quite aware that chkdsk is affected by KIS but KIS does an excellent job. And chkdsk can do its job, albeit after some delay. But again, many programs will affect chkdsk, although many people are not aware of it.

hi paul

haven't checked it compleatly yet, but won't setting the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\protected\AVP7\profiles\File_Monitoring\settings useistreams & useichecker vaules to 0 work?

364043[/snapback]

If anyone is interested, I formatted a week ago (for entirely different reasons), and immediately after installing KIS again, disabled both iChecker and iStreams, both in the Scan settings in the GUI and the File-AV settings in the registry as described in Lucian's post here, and I have not noticed any slowdowns at all in real-time monitoring since.

Are there anybody that suffer from chkdsk vs KAV problem now and can reproduce it?

If uninstalling KAV doesn't help and chkdsk fails or hangs but not slow down we want your help in replicating the issue.

Could you reply here or to me directly?

If uninstalling KAV doesn't help and chkdsk fails or hangs but not slow down we want your help in replicating the issue. 

399119[/snapback]

I wish you'd asked a year ago when I started this thread. I offered to help you isolate it using debug builds etc at that time.

Unfortunately, as far as I can recall, the only machine KAV has made chkdsk break completely on is my main box. While I was originally willing to spend the time on testing/restoring/testing again, I am no longer interested in volunteering that kind of time.

If you can make do with reproduceable slowdown issue, I still have a vmware image that exhibits that issue. At least it still did last I tested back in april. Rolling that back to a previous snapshot is a matter of seconds, so I don't mind doing a bit of testing there for you.

If only machines where chkdsk fails completely is of interest, I have nothing to offer I'm afraid.

Are there anybody that suffer from chkdsk vs KAV problem now and can reproduce it?

399119[/snapback]

Talec is a member of the Kaspersky Technical Support team, who is actively investigating possible reasons for the CHKDSK/defrag problems reported in these Forums and elsewhere by KIS/KAV users. He has been in contact with me via the Forum's PM facility, and may have also contacted other users in this way already. Any information you can provide him with regarding your PC setup and experience of the slow/stalling CHKDSK issue will be of assistance - in particular, if you are able to supply a binary disk image (yes, I know!) for technical analysis by KL and the iSwift developers, that would be especially welcomed.

Good to see KL taking a positive interest at last in these problem reports - let's try to help them solve it!

399119[/snapback]

Thanks for taking an interest. I will reload some of my older images and try to reproduce the chkdsk failures.