Frode

KAV causing chkdsk errors

548 posts in this topic

I've recently trialing a few different programs, including KAV6 and Rollback Rx. I ended up with a very annoying error that caused imaging software to fail at analyzing partition, effectively cutting off my ability to update my backup. I assumed this was due to Rollback Rx, since it by its nature does nifty things to the harddrive on a fairly low level.

To make a long story short, I eventually ended up restoring from backup image. I then verified that chkdsk gave no errors both inside Windows and on reboot.

I then installed KAV and I still get no errors on reboot, but I do get a number of these when running it inside Windows:

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 15576.
Deleting index entry cch~9ce554b81e.htp in index $I30 of file 10071.
Deleting index entry cch~9ce583573c.htp in index $I30 of file 10071.
Deleting index entry CCH~9C~2.HTP in index $I30 of file 10071.

Is this normal or is there something odd about my system? I'm naturally a bit concerned about whether I risk running into the same backup situation again, since the one type of error I managed to catch from chkdsk prior to restoring backup was of the same type as the first few lines (the index $0 ones).

Hello. No it's not normal.

These problems may come form another program or windows/pc not shutting down properly. Kav shouldn't do that.

Hello. No it's not normal.

These problems may come form another program or windows/pc not shutting down properly. Kav shouldn't do that.

Thanks. I'll try experimenting some more and see if it consistently shows up/vanishes along with KAV install/uninstall. I'll update with my findings.

Thanks. I'll try experimenting some more and see if it consistently shows up/vanishes along with KAV install/uninstall. I'll update with my findings.

Just a question, did you try to run the scan at startup (you know, the blue console) or only in windows? Because in windows some application may be moving files around and you get this.

To quote myself

I then installed KAV and I still get no errors on reboot, but I do get a number of these when running it inside Windows

I did a scan inside Windows prior to installing KAV too though, and got nothing at that time. Which naturally lead me to suspect KAV.

I'll do some more checking later today to see if I can nail it to KAV or not.

To quote myself

I did a scan inside Windows prior to installing KAV too though, and got nothing at that time. Which naturally lead me to suspect KAV.

I'll do some more checking later today to see if I can nail it to KAV or not.

it could be a result of the iswift technology, but if so it's not dangerous since this happens because files are opened at that time for scanning and it could be interfering with chkdsk but i'm not sure :unsure:

it could be a result of the iswift technology, but if so it's not dangerous since this happens because files are opened at that time for scanning and it could be interfering with chkdsk but i'm not sure  :unsure:

If that was the case others should be seeing it too though. And it should disappear after uninstalling KAV (it does not). Another thing that has me worried is that when I got the unrecoverable problem previously, chkdsk hung for very very long on 7% of index verification. Several times quitting out with "unspecified error". After I did the restore everything was smooth. But now it's back. For the record, I've also done a surface scan, with no errors.

I have yet to get the issue with imaging software being unable to analyze partition and perform backup, so I've at least secured one from today just in case.

It looks like I will have to restore my old backup once again, run several chkdsk both in Windows and on reboot, then install KAV and see what happens. I absolutely adore the new KAV so I really hope it turns out to be something different.

I've now done some more testing on this. I did multiple reboots and chkdsk every step of the way to rule out fluke occurances.

First, I don't think we should get too hung up on the error messages. As speculated they'll pop up in varying frequency depending on open files. Pausing KAV momentarily causes anywhere from "a lot less" to zero of them. Even prior to installing KAV I got occasional ones like windows update dll files that weren't there on the next scan etc. They never appear on a boot-up scan.

So, disregard those.

One thing it seems I did not mention before, is that the errors pop up after chkdsk has hit the 7% mark. That is, it stands on 7% for a bit then they pop up. I have no idea what 7% signifies, but in my case it seems to be a vital part of chkdsk's run.

Prior to installing KAV 7% comes and goes in 3 seconds. After installing KAV, it's up to 7 seconds. After running a partial scan (that is, starting a "scan my computer" and aborting it after a few minutes), it's up to a whopping 34 seconds. Uninstalling KAV had no effect whatsoever. The time consumption remained at 34 seconds rather than go back to the pre-install 3 seconds.

It could be that the "unspecified error" I've gotten from chkdsk previously has in fact been along the lines of "sorry, this is taking too long, I give up".

I can't say why my backup software failed to analyze the partition (even if waiting several minutes for it). But considering chkdisk is acting up already I'm not going to take my chances on that not happening again. I guess it's restore backup once more, and try again next release. :( Unless there's a chance one of the forthcoming hotfixes might address this?

I've now done some more testing on this. I did multiple reboots and chkdsk every step of the way to rule out fluke occurances.

First, I don't think we should get too hung up on the error messages. As speculated they'll pop up in varying frequency depending on open files. Pausing KAV momentarily causes anywhere from "a lot less" to zero of them. Even prior to installing KAV I got occasional ones like windows update dll files that weren't there on the next scan etc. They never appear on a boot-up scan.

So, disregard those.

One thing it seems I did not mention before, is that the errors pop up after chkdsk has hit the 7% mark. That is, it stands on 7% for a bit then they pop up. I have no idea what 7% signifies, but in my case it seems to be a vital part of chkdsk's run.

Prior to installing KAV 7% comes and goes in 3 seconds. After installing KAV, it's up to 7 seconds. After running a partial scan (that is, starting a "scan my computer" and aborting it after a few minutes), it's up to a whopping 34 seconds. Uninstalling KAV had no effect whatsoever. The time consumption remained at 34 seconds rather than go back to the pre-install 3 seconds.

It could be that the "unspecified error" I've gotten from chkdsk previously has in fact been along the lines of "sorry, this is taking too long, I give up".

I can't say why my backup software failed to analyze the partition (even if waiting several minutes for it). But considering chkdisk is acting up already I'm not going to take my chances on that not happening again. I guess it's restore backup once more, and try again next release. :( Unless there's a chance one of the forthcoming hotfixes might address this?

It seems to me that i have the same problem.

I have uninstalled kaspersky and everything is well for now.

KIS 6 , annoys CHKDSK, i am not fully sure how the computer is running without kaspersky installed, i want to give it at least a week to thouroughly test that it is not KIS 6

Hi,

I've noted a 'strange' behaviour of Chkdsk when KIS (and before that, Kav5, but not NOD) is installed :

Indeed when Chkdsk runs step 2 it stays locked for a long time (for me on 0%) but atfer that it jumps at 80% or so and finishes its check at normal speed. I, however, don't have such problem with cleaning indexes (I had with KAV5) so for me it may just be a 'display' problem...

Anyway, it seems several people have problems between chkdsk and kis6....

Hi,

I've noted a 'strange' behaviour of Chkdsk when KIS (and before that, Kav5, but not NOD) is installed :

Indeed when Chkdsk runs step 2 it stays locked for a long time (for me on 0%) but atfer that it jumps at 80% or so and finishes its check at normal speed. I, however, don't have such problem with cleaning indexes (I had with KAV5) so for me it may just be a 'display' problem...

What made me decide to skip KAV6 (or at least wait a few months before trying again, assuming I haven't bought something else meanwhiles), was the fact that it apparently makes permanent changes to the filesystem. And those changes do not seem to be benevolent on all configurations. The obvious suspect would be iSwift, which I believe I read somewhere requires a driver to be installed. I didn't notice whether this could be deselected during installation. If it can though that might solve the issue. Think I have to try that out in vmware when I get home. Cause apart from this issue, KAV pretty much kills everything out there currently in my opinion.

I so want to make it work, but unfortunately the chkdsk problem constitutes a showstopper for me. I can't trust an anti-virus that does something so funky to my harddrive that there's no way back.

Hi,

Try:

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

I think it will definately fix you HDD errors. :D

Try:

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

I think it will definately fix you HDD errors. :D

I forgot to tell, that my HDD is NOT a Seagate one but a Fujitsu 2.5" one (laptop)...

I also have remarked when running Perfect Disk, that since KIS is istalled, the 'metadata' (whatever it is) on the disk is heavily fragmented, file fragmentation stays approximately same with and without KIS. But Metadata does fragment really quicklier with KIS installed.

don't know if this is related to the issues with ckdsk, though...

I forgot to tell, that my HDD is NOT a Seagate one but a Fujitsu 2.5" one (laptop)...

I also have remarked when running Perfect Disk, that since KIS is istalled, the 'metadata' (whatever it is) on the disk is heavily fragmented, file fragmentation stays approximately same with and without KIS. But Metadata does fragment really quicklier with KIS installed.

don't know if this is related to the issues with ckdsk, though...

That second part (fragmented metadata) was confirmed by a user in the german forum.

That second part (fragmented metadata) was confirmed by a user in the german forum.

Thanks for the info lucianbara !

As quick as ever to reply :D

Well, i also use both KIS and PerfectDisk and i do not see any heavy fragmentation of metadata, do you have system restore enabled, Icepanther?

Well, i also use both KIS and PerfectDisk and i do not see any heavy fragmentation of metadata, do you have system restore enabled, Icepanther?

Yes, it is enabled. Can it be the cause of the problem ? If so, is it safe to deactivate it( since I don't ever use it, but until now I kept it on because I don't really know if there can be problems disabling it) ?

Yes, it is enabled. Can it be the cause of the problem ? If so, is it safe to deactivate it( since I don't ever use it, but until now I kept it on because I don't really know if there can be problems disabling it) ?

If you don't use it, then you should most definitely disable it!

IMPORTANT NOTES:

You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this. If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed.

Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points.

To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

1. Click Start.

2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.

3. Click the System Restore tab.

4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown in this illustration:

5. Click Apply.

6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.

7. Click OK. Reboot

Thanks Don,

I didn't know if there were risks to disable it, but if not, i'll do it right now ^^

Thanks Don,

I didn't know if there were risks to disable it, but if not, i'll do it right now ^^

No risks, you will even have more HD-space. :)

Hello Icepanther

If you disable it you will lose all your restore points.

But almost everytime you install something from MS it creates restore points.

You may have alot, and they take up alot of space on your Drive.

You can go into Disk Cleanup and select More options and select Clean Up

System Restore and it delete all but your most resent one. Or you can

disable it in the System Tab (that will delete all of them). If you renable it

It will create another point.

Don't forget to defragment afterward. I run my defragmenter every

3 or 4 days.I don't have my System Restore turned on, because

I am using Imaging Software.

Rick

Since XP is out, I never used system restore on my tower PC, neither on my laptop that is one year old. I disabled it and indeed : 2GBs free :)

Though, I don't defrag that often, because it stresses hard drives, i usually defrag when needed (when i see a number of files are fragmented after an analysis in PerfectDisk)

Thanks again don and also kr4ey

Well it has been running for 4-5 days fine now, in my opinion the testing period is over and i am convinced it was KIS 6.

Now i am not very happy being stuck with avg free, Sp2 firewall, i ain't going to back to ZoneAlarm (More effort then KIS 6 to setup). But i again don't have the time to change this setup (Unless kaspersky fixed it, and seen i really like you guys, i would spend the time :D:P ).

So i have concluded that i will wait for this SEVERE problem to be fixed, and in my opinion has to be high priority for the Kaspersky team, not just because it effects ME, but if i had not done a reformat (Which means you back everything up), we could have lost all our stuff. I would have been very pissed if that had happened. Because of the HUGE risk this is presenting to people , it may be only 20 or 30, but data loss is severe in my opinion. I can handle a "Component not working" but when it brings your machine down, that is crazy.

I will give this problem to the end of this year to resolve, as i am busy anyway, but if it is not, i will be moving onto another Antivirus and firewall, and other people will too.

Cheers, Rotty.

Ohh yeh, and by the way, if any of your want to give me a tool to run that ONLY detects what software/hardware i have installed and to email it back to the Kaspersky team, i will be quite happy to help (-: . Expecially if you can fix this problem.

Edited by rotty

hi im new in this forum.. i'm searching for antivirus to replace my norton 2004.

so i tried trail of kav6.0.. i'm using outpost firewall 3.51 and it's sadens me that kav 6.0 not geting along with op, and you need to remove some modules but thats still fine because i think its still good security solution.. but this chkdsk error is buging me.. i've done some testing first default setings its stops on 2 of 3 step at 0% and waits for a long time.. if i see at my file antivirus window, its curently scaning lots of files maybe that's the problem because its interferes with chkdsk and when chkdsk is cheking disk antivirus scaning this action.. but still chkdsk doesn't complete to summary.. runing chk dsk not in windows has some problems fixing but runs to the summary. then i tired to disable system restore it seems that its still finds errors but not as much as before and shows summary (not a chkdsk cannot continue message) so that means system restore has something to do with this too.. so in the end it's seems that kav6.0 is good looks good but has some problems too. about disabling sytem restore, i'm using it and using quite often so its not a solution for me.. :/ i hope for a fix

maybe that's the problem because its interferes with chkdsk and when chkdsk is cheking disk antivirus scaning this action.. but still chkdsk doesn't complete to summary.. runing chk dsk not in windows has some problems fixing but runs to the summary.

KAV interfering with chkdsk is not the issue. At least not when it comes to the chkdsk slowdown. You can uninstall KAV and you'll still have the issue after it has appeared. Whatever it does is left behind when uninstalling.

As for chkdsk errors. You really shouldn't be getting any when running it pre-boot (/F), KAV or no KAV. If you keep getting errors when running it pre-boot, it's either something I didn't experience with KAV, or something else entirely. My guess is on the latter.

I've decided to take my chances with Norman for the time being, since both my ISP and bank keeps throwing licenses for it at me. That'll give KL some time to push a few fixes out. Hopefully this issue will disappear in one of them.