Apparently, according to the in built Update Wizard, the Anti Spam Add On that is part of Build 736 is not currently compatible with Thunderbird 3, which has just been released by Mozilla. The wizard states that as part of the upgrade process the KIS add on (plus a couple of others that I use) will be disabled and not re-enabled until Thunderbird detects that the is a newer compatible version).

Anyone out there know anything about this; whether this is true and if so whether The lab plan to issue a patch to make the add on compatible with the new TB version :blink:

Edited by Baldrick

Hi Baldrick,

It was only released yesterday. You might want to give KL Labs some time

1. It is not just that the anti-spam module is not compatible with TB3, I cannot successfully see any email in TB3 due to KIS2010! So a fairly significant problem. All works fine in TB2. Corroborated by a poster on another website.

2. K LABS have had time to deal with this: the official release may only have been today/yesterday but there will have been alphas, betas, RCs as well as the final release. While most of this is for development of the software itself, this gives third-party devs like KL in this instance to prepare for the new version. They seem to be slow - I mean look at the Win7 rollout, it has taken two patches post-RTM and after them certifying the release to get a stable working version!

I am not able to use Thunderbird 3 now and need to revert to Thunderbird 2.0.0.23. I don't know whether it is due to KIS. But according to TheBigM72, it is. I hope I can use KIS and T3 at the same time as both are greatest software at its own industry. Hope to see update. :dash1:

I tried installing TB3 and when it starts up it will not show the account folders.

Un-installed KIS2010 and TB3 was fine.

Sad I was really looking forward to trying out TB3.

I tried installing TB3 and when it starts up it will not show the account folders.

Un-installed KIS2010 and TB3 was fine.

Sad I was really looking forward to trying out TB3.

You shouldn't need to do that. Essentially you just need to remove the KIS plugin from thunderbird before the upgrade.

If you uninstall the plugin now, and run the TB3 install again it should be fine.

This does of course leave you without KIS in thunderbird until there's an update.

I am happy to wait (relatively) for KIS to be updated then update to TB3. Can I request that once KL have released a compatible update, it is put in the announcements section so we know when to update to TB3.

I am not able to use Thunderbird 3 now and need to revert to Thunderbird 2.0.0.23. I don't know whether it is due to KIS. But according to TheBigM72, it is. I hope I can use KIS and T3 at the same time as both are greatest software at its own industry. Hope to see update. :dash1:

I'm using KIS 736 a,b and Thunderbird 3.0.0 release version with no problem. However, I haven't got anti-spam installed and maybe this is why it's working for me? I must say that, occasionally, I suddently cannot display the bodies of messages in the view pane or in a separate tab until I end and then restart Thunderbird - I had thought this was a TB problem, but maybe it's a KIS one? Next time it happens I'll exit KIS and see if that solves it.

Hello,

I have no idea if this had been reported, but I think there is a bug that Makes the latest build of Kaspersky IS or Kaspersky IS in general (as people are reporting this with 2009 as well) incomparable with the newly released Thunderbird 3.x e-mail client.

Apparently, anybody who has Kaspersky IS latest 2010b build installed, and was using Thunderbird 2.x e-mail client and then downloads 3.x final manually for an in-place upgrade as the 2. client doesn't give an internal upgrade path yet, has been having issues.

What happens is, if the Kaspersky Anti-Spam extension is installed, First of all the extension is not compatible with Thunderbird 3 and Thunderbird disables it. Second of all, when The upgrade is done, you see your account settings, your contacts, but no e-mail or folders, you can't compose mail or send and receive.

The only solution that other forums found that work is to completely uninstall 2.x after backing up everything of course, deleting the two Kaspersky anti Spam modules in the Thunderbird program folder folder, then reinstall Thunderbird 3. Some report that this worked well, others report that they had to go one step further and delete the whole Thunderbird program files folder and even their profiles folder when upon reinstall start a new profile from scratch, which then could makes all settings, add-ons and e-mail go Bye Bye even after backup.

In either case you won't have the availability of the Kaspersky Anti Spam Module in Thunderbird 3 and you need to prevent Kaspersky from re-installing it automatically.

Some people like myself, just reinstalled Thunderbird 2.x latest build over the botched Thunderbird 3.x install and just stay patient for a fix which reverts everything back and makes everything works including the Kaspersky Anti Spam module.

Here are some other post I have found on other forums on this issue which are having the same symptoms as me with an in-place Thunderbird 2.x-3.x install with Kaspersky IS installed. I know some are referring to a 64 bit system either Vista or 7, but allot are on 32 bit systems. XP/Vista/Win7. I am running 32bit XP Pro myself.

Here are the two links I have found so far from other forums about people talking about this issue.

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messagi..._3_upgrade_woes

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messagi...dow_on_win7_x64

My question is, has anybody here experienced this, can anybody confirm that Kaspersky is the culprit, and if so, does anybody know if Kaspersky is aware of this, and when they plan to fix this so Kaspersky Anti Spam does work with Thunderbird 3.x, and also for those with 2.x can upgrade to 3.x using an in-place upgrade option without an issue. Especially when Mozilla starts asking people to upgrade to 3.x via the auto upgrade option in it's help menu eventually?

Thanks for whomever knows anything and replies.

Edited by Graak

I have had the same problem ...

It seems like the way to fix this is to uninstall 2.0. Remove the klthbplg.dll (90,5KB) and IKLAntiSpam.xpt (0,9KB) files from the empty components directory, and install 3.0.

Regards.

I spent hours last night trying to get Thunderbird 3 to work. Finally had to reinstall the last version of Thunderbird 2 and even that took a few attempts. This was before people starting posting about the problem and the various workarounds.

We shouldn't have to be doing all these workarounds. The betas and RC's for Thunderbird 3 have been around for a while and Kaspersky IS is a popular program. Mozilla and Kaspersky need to get their acts together. :angry:

I worked for hours last night trying to get TB 3 to work. Had no idea that it was a KIS problem.

I have been using KIS for years and have always "waited" on their fixes. Seldom a complaint from me. The fact that Kasperky didn't release a Windows 7 compatible version until after Windows 7 (and it had problems) was release and now they are behind on this (TB), is making me wonder is Kaspesky the best I can do?

Sorry Kaspersky, but maybe it's time to move on.

Spot

The anti-spam extension seems to work fine after I remove Thunderbird 2, delete components folder in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird, clean registry leftover and reinstall Thunderbird 3. Even though the extension is not listed any more in Tools > Add-ons > Extensions, all spam mails are still identified with the label "[!! SPAM]". Why?

The steps in http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2010/antispam?qid=208280274 does not work to unregister the Anti-Spam even with self-defense disabled. It gives error 80004005. Any idea?

Not compatible with new version of Thunderbird Mail program. Will update be available soon?

My question is, has anybody here experienced this, can anybody confirm that Kaspersky is the culprit, and if so, does anybody know if Kaspersky is aware of this, and when they plan to fix this so Kaspersky Anti Spam does work with Thunderbird 3.x, and also for those with 2.x can upgrade to 3.x using an in-place upgrade option without an issue. Especially when Mozilla starts asking people to upgrade to 3.x via the auto upgrade option in it's help menu eventually?

Thanks for whomever knows anything and replies.

See above for full quote

I am reasonably confident that KIS is the problem. I installed TB3 with KIS2010 already installed and I got the blank windows problem on TB3 with the same symptoms you described.

I have uninstalled KIS (I am having a separate issue with KIS) and did a clean install of TB3 and it appeared to be fine. I could see e-mails and accounts (did not try sending or receiving e-mails).

Currently back with TB2 and KIS 2010.

TB3 is fine at home running under Ubuntu Linux - really nice account setup wizard.

I haven't a clue how to tell Kaspersky about the problem. Frankly I would be disappointed if they don't already know about it.

Hope they sort it soon.

Hi Baldrick,

It was only released yesterday. You might want to give KL Labs some time

With respect to you - this is not an excuse that KL can use. The beta and RC cycle has been going on for a long time for Thunderbird 3.0, and KL has an official plug-in for it, and so should have been switched on to the Mozilla development cycle.

Shame on them :angry: .

Refer: http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thun...early_releases/

regards,

The Executioner.

There are several workarounds which all appear to do the same thing.

I opted for the minimalist approach and I did the following:

With Kaskpersky Internet Securyt installed. Uninstall TB2 or TB3.

Go to the components folder, in the TB install directory. On my system (WinXP Pro SP3) it was

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components

and rename

klthbplg.dll
IKLAntiSpam.xpt

I just added ".old" to the end of the files (e.g

klthbplg.dll.old

).

Now install TB3. I did not even bother to disable KIS during the re-install.

Warning This undotably means that KIS is not checking the incoming e-mails. People talk about no SPAM checking but it may also include no AV checking as well.

More information on this link, including an indication that Mozilla and Kaskperxky are working on a solution.

getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/kaspersky_anti_spam_extension_causing_blank_window_problems_with_thunderbird_3_u

pgrade

Let's hope the solution is not long in coming.

atb

I´ve been using Thunderbird for years with no problems.Today I downloaded version 3 only to find it didn´t work,,all my emails had vanished.I un installed and reinstalled the old Thunderbird then discovered that Thunderbird 3 and Kaspersky do not get along together.

Anyone know if there is a way to resolve this problem?.

cheers.

I´ve been using Thunderbird for years with no problems.Today I downloaded version 3 only to find it didn´t work,,all my emails had vanished.I un installed and reinstalled the old Thunderbird then discovered that Thunderbird 3 and Kaspersky do not get along together.

Anyone know if there is a way to resolve this problem?.

cheers.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=148433

Regards.

Apparently, according to the in built Update Wizard, the Anti Spam Add On that is part of Build 736 is not currently compatible with Thunderbird 3, which has just been released by Mozilla. The wizard states that as part of the upgrade process the KIS add on (plus a couple of others that I use) will be disabled and not re-enabled until Thunderbird detects that the is a newer compatible version).

Anyone out there know anything about this; whether this is true and if so whether The lab plan to issue a patch to make the add on compatible with the new TB version :blink:

Same problem with build .463 b.c. too!

Can we get some kind of acknowledgement by the mods about this issue. (i.e. it is on the to-do list) otherwise I will have to think about using other security packages in the medium term such as Microsoft Security Essentials as that is free.

I have had the same problem with TB 3.0 and KIS 736.

I installed/updated TB 3.0 over my TB 2.0 and got malfunction and could not see messages, etc...

Now I have working fine TB 3.0 and KIS 736, the only thing is not working properly is the K icon that appeas in the TB right conner (that is in grey colour, not in red) but I've checked the reports of KIS 736 of Anti-Spam module and is working fine.

The steps I followed were:

1.- If You have TB 3.0 installed yet (over TB 2.0), then uninstall It.

2.- Go to C:\Program files\Mozilla ThunderBird\components and delete the 2 files:

klthbplg.dll

IKLAntiSpam.xpt

3.- Install again TB 3.0 normally.

4.- Uninstall KIS 736, and resinstall it again (being TB 3.0 installed 1st yet)

5.- TB 3.0 says Kaspersky Anti-Spam extension is not compatible, but I use an extensión called "MR Tech Toolkit", with it I can make (force) compatible any extension, so I right mouse buttom over the K. Anti-Spam extension in TB 3.0 and force it compatible, reboot TB 3.0

This way is working fine here, except the K icon (in grey colour) but pluging works fine.

Regards.

Edited by harlan4096

A greeting to the english forum, i'm italian user. I wanted to know if the issue between KIS 2010 and Thunderbird 3 has been solved, from assistance kaspersky Italian (personal cabinet), they replied that there are no problems between KIS and TB3! :dash1:

The problem is in development?

Thanks and regards :bs:

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.