Yannick

Pb with Dual Core - 1 CPU 100% - can't stop

Hi,

I have install KAV trial on a new dual core Sony laptop. As usual this machine had Norton AV pre-loaded so I did uninstall NAV (in the stanard XP way) before loadin KAV demo. Did update DB, full scan etc and it worked fine for some days.

Then the demo license went old. I say to KAV that I will buy a lisence "later". From that moment the second CPU of the dual core processor is always 100% and I cannot ever stop KAV.

I bought a licence key and I wanted to upgrade/re-install KAV with a normal download but impossible becaused KAV never want to stop !! I cannot even reach the option to ask KAV not to automatically restart at next boot because I cannot even open the main KAV screen.

I see KAV in the task bar but it is like if it is looping using always 100% of the second core!

Any clue ???

Yannick

When I follow the NAV uninstall step and run SymNRT.exe, it says "The version of Norton Removal Tool that you are using has expired" !!

Yannick

Which norton did you previously have?

It arrived preloaded with the Sony laptop 2 weeks ago. I don't know but I guess it was very new. I can't see anymore because I deleted NAV !!

Yannick

Which norton did you previously have?

I believe that the SymNrt.exe tool is no longer able to be used... Norton got slick.

Mike

P.S. It's all good Don P. I was cranky this morning for some reason. You da man.

I only can help you by how to stop Kav to start up the next time without have to check out this option. Type on a MS Dos shell --> MSCONFIG an go to the last option, System Start.. and uncheck whatever has do do with KAV .. so next Time will not start again. Good Luck.

Bad luck, this other Symantec tool does not work as well. Cannot get the "Symantec AutiFix tools" web page to do anyhting :angry:

It uses activeX, you need to allow it for the site to work, when you click on the link in section 2, this is shown did you even read it?

without ActiveX controls.

The AutoFix Tool requires ActiveX controls. If ActiveX files cannot be installed or are not allowed to run on your computer, the AutoFix Tool will not work.

Check the top of this window under the address bar to see if there is a yellow bar with a message on it.

Choose the situation below that best describes what you see.

I see a message that says, "This site might require the following ActiveX control..."  Click the yellow bar with the message and then click Install ActiveX control.

When a small box appears, click Install.

I see a message that says, "Your security settings do not allow Web sites to use ActiveX controls..."  At the menu bar above, click Tools > click Internet Options.

On the Security tab, click Default Level, then OK.

I do not see a yellow or blue bar with a message  A firewall may be blocking the ActiveX controls. Set up your firewall to allow ActiveX controls to run. If you have Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall, click here for steps on how to do this.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.