base1000

Installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus over Internet Sacurity

I just bought Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 and I am finding out that I can not install it because I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 already installed. What gives, do I have to uninstall it? This is just not right :angry: . What shall I do? What happened to the telephone number that Kaspersky used to have?

Welcome.

...What gives...
Just a tiny little bit of confusion perhaps, nothing major.

1) Both are Home User products, so please see that section of this forum.

2) KIS contains all that KAV has, so there is zero need to purchase both. If KAV is desired, then uninstall the extra components from the installer in Modify, add, remove. And if KAV absolutely Must be installed, for some reason, then uninstall KIS first.

3) Contact info: I have no additional info from what is included on the official website.

Thanks richbuff for your reply. I will tell you why I desire to install KAV like you call it. I had an issue with starting up my computer one time and a friend told me it was a good idea to have a recovery disk made so I googled how to make a recovery disk and it told me the following:

CREATE YOUR RESCUE DISK

1.Insert a blank (empty) formatted floppy disk in your floppy drive.

2. Open your Control Panel, accessing it through My Computer, or

through Start, Settings.

3.Double click on Add/Remove Programs.

4. Open the Startup Disk tab, and click on Create Disk.

5.Allow Windows to create your bootable floppy disk.

6. Also, open your Windows directory, and copy your Windows

registry files -- system.dat and user.dat

7. When done, label it as your bootable floppy disk.

8. For extra security, make TWO bootable rescue disks.

9. Test them out. Turn off your computer, then place your rescue

disk in your floppy drive, wait 30 seconds, then turn on your

computer again. You should be able to boot into Windows.

Enter in the SAFE mode to troubleshoot further.

I got to step 4 then I could not go any further because this command did not exist on my computer :blink: , then I went to Kaspersky’s WEB sight and it told me how to accomplish this task but I needed KAV to do this, so here I am in this mess.

Why does Kaspersky sell have both KIS & KAV when KIS has both or does it? :dash1:

Another thing I am not an experienced Forum user so please excuse me if I do not know where to put certain information.

Edited by DESIGN51

Hello,

KAV and KIS are exactly the same regarding the rescue disk- only the name of the program will differ.

Which set of instructions are you following exactly and why is the rescue disc needed, is there a specific reason?

Hello,

KAV and KIS are exactly the same regarding the rescue disk- only the name of the program will differ.

Which set of instructions are you following exactly and why is the rescue disc needed, is there a specific reason?

I was away on vacation and I unplugged my computer, when I got back my computer would not start up again. I fixed this by starting it in last good start mode. Now my computer is working but my screens come up every time with large icons on my desktop and I reset them but the next time I start my computer they are large again.

A friend told me it was important to make a recovery disk because my computer was having a problem with start up.

I can not see anything regarding making a recovery disk in KIS.

Why did I bother to purchase KAV if KIS has everything included? :dash1:

Edited by DESIGN51

I was away on vacation and I unplugged my computer, when I got back my computer would not start up again. I fixed this by starting it in last good start mode. Now my computer is working but my screens come up every time with huge icons on my desktop and I reset them but the next time I start my computer they are large again.

A friend told me it was important to make a recovery disk because my computer was having a problem with start up.

I was away on vacation and I unplugged my computer, when I got back my computer would not start up again. I fixed this by starting it in last good start mode. Now my computer is working but my screens come up every time with huge icons on my desktop and I reset them but the next time I start my computer they are large again.

A rescue disk will not fix the problem you described above.... that sounds like a general windows issue, not a virus related damage.

As I said, it is exactly the same process for making a rescue disk for KAV and KIS.

This article: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279729 has a clear set of instructions and an animated image to show you how to do so.

If you are using V7 then this is the article to read: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279398

Why did I bother to purchase KAV if KIS has everything included?

I don't think anyone can answer why you chose to buy both KAV and KIS, it clearly states on the website that you only need one or the other when purchasing.

I would suggest a backup program like Acronis True Image or similar. It's saved me many times. As to the icon problem you may need to reset the display properties from the control panel or just rt. click an area of your screen and select "Properites" form the drop down menu. It is also possible your OS has been corrupted in some way and you may need to re-format, but I wouldn't jump to doing this. You might also post a GSI log to see if you have conflicting programs on you computer. Instructions are here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915. As others have said it makes no sense to replace KIS with KAV. If you do want KAV you need to uninstall KIS first. Annd, if you want to make a rescue disc from KIS open KIS, Click on "Antimalware" under "Protection" on the left side of the window. Then click on "Rescue Disc" located on the right side of the window that appears.

What you might try to correct the icon problem is to open any folder. Then Tools>Folder Options>General Tab>Tasks and see if "show common tasks in folders" is checked.post-12282-1240618940_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.