Sign in to follow this  
Support_Mike

New Admin Kit - updates question

This has not been thought out much as I was just delivered the info from a customer...

They have several logical groups inside their Admin Kit - one major group and 150 we will call Satellite groups. The main group consists of a couple hundred workstations and a handful of servers - they are fine. The satellite groups can all get updates from the Admin Server, they can be deployed to etc., i.e. they are fully connectable, they are in a different subnet but all traffic is routed. The customer wants each satellite to have a single workstation download updates from the Admin Kit, copy them to a local share (local meaning inside the subnet) and have the other satellite members get their updates from the share. They do not want to install a separate Admin Kit on each satellite. What is the best way to meet their needs?

Mike

Persuant to this issue -

Could I just enable the "Deploy anti-virus databae automatically on all clients" feature? The aim is to keep the satellite clients from connecting to the Admin Server to download updates - the connection speeds are awful for these satellite machines - does the above mentioned feature differ in download/connection logic than a regularly scheduled update where a client connects to the Admin Server every 3 hours for example to download updates?

Mike

Hi, Mike,

I have one idea about this sitution. Hope this can meet your requiement.

I'm not good english writter, but I do my best.

I assume you have four different subnets in this case.

(1)Create five different group in admin kit.

(2)One of five groups call master group, whihc include workstation provides update for each subnets.

Then you can set copy update to share folder option on update configuration.

To do this can use policy setting or config on each workstations.

(3)Moving same subnet workstations to same group exclude update provider workstaions.

Then create the policy to update from the workstation for each group. (update from http, ftp or shared folder...)

(you can create one policy and copy it to other group and change the update source.)

then each subnet can have different update location to update database.

Sorry about my poor english.

Hope this can work for you or give you some idea.

best regards,

Chandler

I think you have got it! To summarize:

Create X # of groups in the Admin Kit (depending on the # of satellite subnets) - all at the same hierarchy:

MASTER

SATELLITE_ONE

SATELLITE_TWO

etc

Along with the other MASTER group members that were local to its subnet we would add a single workstation from each satellite group to the MASTER group. We would configure the update task on each of these MASTER group satellite workstations to copy their updates to a local share - in their subnet. We would then create a policy for each of the SATELLITE groups to get their updates from the local share appropriate for their subnet. Perfect. And well written.

Thanks!

Mike

This is pretty cool, and pretty much what I want to do here, but isn't there still going to be quite a bit of traffic between clients and master server over the WAN as they check in their current status etc?

This is pretty cool, and pretty much what I want to do here, but isn't there still going to be quite a bit of traffic between clients and master server over the WAN as they check in their current status etc?

It depends on how they implemented their network. If there are bridge routers between subnets, the traffic on each subnet stays local. A smart enough switch could even do this without a router. That's how I'd set it up.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.