I remember seeing some KAV tips in Kas' support system somewhere on typical reasons for systems running slowly but I must have a brain short circuit today and can't find the page.

I just reinstalled my os yesterday (winxp-pro sp3 32bit) and KAV noticeably slows things down (more than before the reinstall). I set all settings to recommended just to be sure it wasn't working overtime but I am even having trouble updating certain programs. I turn it off when installing programs from disc but trying to get updates (eg updating photoshop CS4) runs so slowly it virtually hangs and the update corrupts.

I think I ought to try a repair to KAV.

I appreciate any thoughts.

I appreciate the advice however, I've already tried that.

I have of course defragged all drives, done an error check and so on.

It just seems to me that KAV is being a little more aggressive than in the past.

Yeah well, I found my "problem" when I checked out the build number. I'm now using 8.0.0.506(a). Before my system wipe (upgrading to new bigger drives, not because the system was pooched), I was using 8.0.0.454.

I'd say that KAV is starting to bog down and just isn't as sleek running as it used to be. I'm not knocking it as I've used other programs in the past and KAV is superior but I guess that's life when you have a computer and antivirus needs to get bigger and stronger to battle those nasty threats.

I know people still using ver 7 and it's sleeker, but them's the breaks if you want more security....gotta use 8 and put up with it.

7.0 is certainly not "sleeker" it is a lot slower and heavier too..............nobody is preventing you from using build 8.0.0.454 if you like it better, but there my be other things in play so the GSI log asked makes sense to try. :)

Just my 2 cents throwed in since I dont understand why some fear a GSI report its like pulling teeth, :P... and really its the safest easiest way to help show or where the conflicts lie or do not lie and also can be the fastest way to get your problem solved I realize this doesn't offer any tech aid to the OP , except try to help them and any others understand how a GSI is beneficial to helping solving their personal issues , and yes sometimes its not needed but even still it can help in case the person posting has overlooked something some one on form sees. Have a great day! Take time to learn the software . :)

PS: By the way yes I have posted GSI reports when something has changed or something I don't understand just to give all the Mods and advance users a helping hand to make sure I did not overlook anything as well B)

Edited by charlesT

Hello,

The only thing I saw I really am not sure of , but I think this first time I saw this and I really dont know what tell you to do myself but what I am refering to is the Host-Altered C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\host ... and below that 127.0.0.1 local host 127.0.0.1 activate adobe.com thats the only thing showing at all .

I did google this C:\windows\system32\drivers and that with 127.0.0.1 local host popped up saying something about a slow computer , I would wait for a mod to see they will know what to do

Edited by charlesT

Something is wrong with my adobe programs and now I know why. I think this host file has something to do with it cause I reinstalled them and now it's gone. I have now idea when or how this happened but I seem to be doing better now and so's adobe.

hello

so you reinstalled adobe and now everything you think is ok ? or no ? has anyone yet looked at what you was talking about earlier ?everything is ok now i assume ?

Edited by charlesT

I was actually concerned for the moment more with the fact that there was an unknown (but seemingly harmless?) alteration of the host file. With a reinstall of all adobe products, it's no longer there.

Other than that, even to my untrained eye, the report doesn't seem to indicate anything odd (all green) and my new report (haven't uploaded it cause it's no different other than the host file not being 'altered'), is pretty much the same. I'm going to wait a few days or so and maybe do another report, just to be sure nothing odd is happening.

Just to reiterate though, my system is not slow. It is just slower than before this new build. It isn't so slow when KAV is off (which is probably normal for any antivirus).

The only thing I saw I really am not sure of, but I think this first time I saw this and I really dont know what tell you to do myself but what I am refering to is the Host-Altered 127.0.0.1 activate adobe.com
I have seen it many times, sometimes twice in two different posts in ten minutes.

Something is wrong with my adobe programs and now I know why. I have now idea when or how this happened...
They are pirated. It was added by the pirate program installer, or by the pirate user.

there was an unknown (but seemingly harmless?) alteration of the host file.
Not unknown. It is very well known. Not harmless. Just illegal. Hence the following:

Your log shows

127.0.0.1    activate.adobe.com

From the readme pinned topic: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=84003

We here don't encourage piracy since it's also a common cause for infections, so if we spot illegal software on the PCs of users asking for help, we will deny further help and close the topic.

Official Technical Support can be found here: http://support.kaspersky.ru/helpdesk.html?LANG=en