mrralan

[Merged again] Multiple component updates today requiring reboots

I just got off the phone with tech support. There is problem with IDS module that was updated. It doesn't affect every machine according to them. An official KB or update fix should be posted by tomorrow morning.

The only solution they could give at this point is to either:

Is to change KAV startup from "Automatic" to "Manual" through Windows services which disables KAV

OR

Go to Windows\system32\drivers and rename klif.sys to something else like klif.old which again disables File Anti-virus protection but allow the other modules ( mail, web anti-virus for example) to run.

Neither solution is great but at least we can access the machines again.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

I tried to change the startup on one of the bricked machines yesterday, but it didn't work. KAV protection caught it and changed it back.

I went the renaming klif.sys method (thru Windows Safemode) and it seems to work fine at this point.

Renaming the driver klif.sys should disable the antivirus protection, which I think is not a good thing (but the only workaround I suppose).

If you can, and to keep antivirus protection enabled without this bug you can try to:

1. Remove Kaspersky Anti-Virus

2. Install Kaspersky Anti-Virus again.

3. Disable the option "Update application modules" in the properties of your update task.

4. Run the update task to download new threats definition (but not new module klif.sys which seems to be the culprit).

Renaming the driver klif.sys should disable the antivirus protection, which I think is not a good thing (but the only workaround I suppose).

If you can, and to keep antivirus protection enabled without this bug you can try to:

3. Disable the option "Update application modules" in the properties of your update task.

4. Run the update task to download new threats definition (but not new module klif.sys which seems to be the culprit).

Yesterday support told me it would have a solution until the end of the day, but so far nothing (they were to let me know by email).

Someone would say if there's already a solution to this problem?

thanks

1. It is also possible to disable the option "Update application modules" from both update task and policy on admin kit

2. Simply override existing klif.sys (v6.12.10.327) and kl1.sys (v6.1.30.0) located in c:\windows\system32\drivers with files in attached kav.zip (It can be done by AD or other pc management tools)

3. Restart pc

kav.zip

We're having issues with win2003 servers and ISA 2004 servers. Update and reboot then it just stucks on login screen.

On some machines windows firewall service doesn't start automatilcally.

It also freezes after a while working.

We're having issues with win2003 servers and ISA 2004 servers. Update and reboot then it just stucks on login screen.

On some machines windows firewall service doesn't start automatilcally.

It also freezes after a while working.

please try to run attached "killavp.exe 6" in your windows startup. It will stop KAV and give you enough time to do what ever you want. Enjoy!

killavp.zip

My new Dell T3400 just started having this issue today.

As I write this from a backup PC, I am on my 3rd lockup and klif.sys BSOD.

We just started moving away from McAfee due to problems and now a faulty update with Kaspersky. Not good.

I too had to reboot three times around Monday and Tuesday due to updates.

Just now causing an issue.

Going to call support shortly. Thankfully we don't have this on servers yet.

I sure would love to see this fixed. Not really enjoying having most of my network unprotected.

If there is a fix, did I miss it?

I am also getting this problem, I have Dell latitude D630’s and I have had one BSOD. No luck with support as there office is closed due to bad weather???? (what a joke)

I also have ISA servers and I have had to disable Kaspersky on these systems and rollback the updates.

If this doesn’t happen the ISA servers will not respond to pings and crash.

Hope they get a fix out for this fast. I have servers with no protection!!!!!

I got the reply for Kaspersky Support today, telling me to run "Getsysteminfo" and send them the file created. Nothing more than that. I don't know if this is the typical procedure or they don't really know how to deal with this problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing how to solve it.

I got the reply for Kaspersky Support today, telling me to run "Getsysteminfo" and send them the file created. Nothing more than that. I don't know if this is the typical procedure or they don't really know how to deal with this problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing how to solve it.

Really Basic step to resolve it. :dash1:

I have run the latest update on over 30 machines out of 200 and didn't have an issue. Either I am lucky or there is some compatiablity issue with a piece of software you are using. When I was testing KAV out a year ago I had the same issue. The machine would boot but logging in would take forever and once it did log in I couldn't get to any drives or do anything on the network. It tunred out it was my VPN software from Juniper Networks that was causing the issue. Once I uninstalled the Juniper Software, all was good. I had to update the Juniper VPN software to a newer version and all worked fine.

Usually slow log ins are network software incompatibility related. Updating network drivers or if you have VPN software, maybe try removing that on a machine to see if that affects the log in.

This is just my recommendation. I would never have a update task with "Update application modules". Especially on servers. I have 2 tasks. One to update the sigs every hour and one task to update the application modules. The task to update the app modules is set to manual. When I notice one comes out. I run the task on some machines and test the machines for a couple of days to make sure all is good. You can then either set the task to run one once or just run the task in manual or just push it out per machine one at a time. You can even create a separate group with a couple of machines and use this as a test group for module updates.

I had aslo called Kaspersky on Wednesday because I don't automatically take the modules updates but all my machines where asked to reboot. It must have been some other update that needed a reboot. I told them I don't take apps modules and they told me I should because I also had none of the hot fixes. I told them the reason I didn't take the modules were because of issues like this. They had one last August but was more widespread.

They should post the hot fixes or module updates on their website so you can download them manually, test them and then put them into the admin kit. The way I have set this up works also.

I have run the latest update on over 30 machines out of 200 and didn't have an issue. Either I am lucky or there is some compatiablity issue with a piece of software you are using. When I was testing KAV out a year ago I had the same issue. The machine would boot but logging in would take forever and once it did log in I couldn't get to any drives or do anything on the network. It tunred out it was my VPN software from Juniper Networks that was causing the issue. Once I uninstalled the Juniper Software, all was good. I had to update the Juniper VPN software to a newer version and all worked fine.

Usually slow log ins are network software incompatibility related. Updating network drivers or if you have VPN software, maybe try removing that on a machine to see if that affects the log in.

This is just my recommendation. I would never have a update task with "Update application modules". Especially on servers. I have 2 tasks. One to update the sigs every hour and one task to update the application modules. The task to update the app modules is set to manual. When I notice one comes out. I run the task on some machines and test the machines for a couple of days to make sure all is good. You can then either set the task to run one once or just run the task in manual or just push it out per machine one at a time. You can even create a separate group with a couple of machines and use this as a test group for module updates.

I had aslo called Kaspersky on Wednesday because I don't automatically take the modules updates but all my machines where asked to reboot. It must have been some other update that needed a reboot. I told them I don't take apps modules and they told me I should because I also had none of the hot fixes. I told them the reason I didn't take the modules were because of issues like this. They had one last August but was more widespread.

They should post the hot fixes or module updates on their website so you can download them manually, test them and then put them into the admin kit. The way I have set this up works also.

I had same issue with Sonicwall VPN dropping and cutting the network cards out. Turns out it was the NDIS filter that kaspersky install as standard for there firewall. You can unistall this and it will default to using windows xp sp2 standard NDIS filter.

Thanks for your suggestion though,

Dont think this is linked.

I had same issue with Sonicwall VPN dropping and cutting the network cards out. Turns out it was the NDIS filter that kaspersky install as standard for there firewall. You can unistall this and it will default to using windows xp sp2 standard NDIS filter.

Thanks for your suggestion though,

Dont think this is linked.

I've had a couple of the blue screen errors, so i've been following this thread. We used the trial version for almost a month, then purchased the business license for our company (less than 10 machines). I've gotten the error on 4 occasions with different machines.

I have also had the internet go out 4 times since installing the admin kit and aligning the work stations. Based on the last two posts I wasn't sure if this was related. Admittedly I know very little about this. Small company, so resources are thin, and I am the IT dept. Any help would be appreciated. I also don't intend to hijack this thread. by changing the subject.

Matt

Go to this web site:

http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/index.php?hl=en

Download the getsysteminfo app and then upload the output to this site and it will try to identify applications that are incompatiable with KAV or out of date. Start with this.

I dont think its a problem with kaspersky being incompatiable with software. This started from a update?

Surely Kaspersky are aware of this is a big problem and there is no need to list getsysteminfo files.

Surely Kaspersky are aware of this is a big problem and there is no need to list getsysteminfo files.

This is a know issue for Kaspersky support.

Early today I've received an e-mail from support asking for my klif.sys version, and if i could send it as attachment to them. I'm still waiting for an answer/solution...

ANother great job by aspersky.

This is what, the 4th time in 1.5 years?

Unreal.

Still no global fix.

Can't wait until my 3 year sub is over middle of this year.

I have noticed that when you want to shut down the computer which is working in a Domain, instead to shut down directly firstly do logoff and afterward shut down, and then it is working properly. (workstation Windows vista business)

How does Kaspersky plan on reimbursing me for all the extra work, the overnight shipping fees me outside sales force needs to spend to ship their useless laptops back to me to fix now?

Wait, they don't even have a fix out yet.

Can't wait to tell my boss that Kaspersky crapped out over 100 computers again.

That will be a pleasant conversation.

Kaspersky, thankis again for letting me down and making me look bad since it was my decision to switch 2.5 years ago.

What a mistake!!!

Top the guy who just switched?

get you r money back and go with something else.

How does Kaspersky plan on reimbursing me for all the extra work, the overnight shipping fees me outside sales force needs to spend to ship their useless laptops back to me to fix now?

Wait, they don't even have a fix out yet.

Can't wait to tell my boss that Kaspersky crapped out over 100 computers again.

That will be a pleasant conversation.

Kaspersky, thankis again for letting me down and making me look bad since it was my decision to switch 2.5 years ago.

What a mistake!!!

Top the guy who just switched?

get you r money back and go with something else.

Is anybody home at Kaspersky?

Is anybody home at Kaspersky?

You're in a user forum, for any official response you will have to contact support. You know this so this must be one of those "shout your frustration out of your system" kind of reactions.

You're in a user forum, for any official response you will have to contact support. You know this so this must be one of those "shout your frustration out of your system" kind of reactions.

Why, is this not the official Kaspersky forums?

Why was the post concerning the issue deleted? There was a question about when there was going to be a fix for this issue.. I posted in it.. Now, it no longer exists..

How about someone tells me what to do before I have 100 computers that won't boot?