U.S.A. making Kaspersky illegal

Go to solution Solved by MedvedevUnited,

I plan to continue to use Kaspersky, because I don't believe my own government. The hypocrisy is amazing, considering that Microsoft just came out with an operating system that allows AI to take snapshots of everything you do and we're supposed to trust them! I'm so sick of these people.

I'm tempted to buy an additional 5 year license, but the thing that's most concerning is that I've read we won't be able to update the product or virus definitions after 100 days. I've got 2 years left and a friend has 3. Can a VPN be used to bypass these restrictions?

i tried to renew my sub early and got the error "You have a subscription license which cannot be renewed on usa.kaspersky.com" 😕

yes, I trust Kaspersky more than any NSA-approved US-made security software. looking to continue to use it after this nonsense too.

They blocked it already? That p....... off. There has to be a way around this.

I agree with you. I have no desire to use a 5 eyes NSA approved AV.

Will my proposed solution work? Use a VPN and change the Kaspersky update server in the program? Have a site for US customers to download updates and manually apply them? How would the US prevent someone from continuing to use it? Hello???

• Like 1

I’ve use Kaspersky password vault for years and have over a hundred passwords. The US is banning Kaspersky. Grrr 😡. Has Kaspersky come out with guidance on what the heck I need to do. Are they only banning new sales? Will my yearly renewal go through?  Is it going to suddenly stop working?  HELP!

• The title was changed to US user - now what?

Just read that next month, July, Kaspersky will no longer be "allowed" to sell it's products in the US. My current account is paid up until late September of this year.

Am I just going to have to stop using Kasperky? I am completely satisfied with Kaspersky and don't want to change.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep using it?

Thank you,

Richard

In the short term, I don't know. Some have suggested a VPN, but there have been no responses from Kaspersky stating whether or not this will work. I don't buy the US government's propaganda and I think it's laughable that we're supposed to believe that the Russian government cares about our surfing habits. I'm more concerned about the NSA and other 3 letter US entities. It's truly gotten scary. Please vote the dementia patient out of office. He's really not in control of anything.

6 minutes ago, CodenameJelly said:

as far as im aware the subscription doesn't start til current one runs out so you could stack one on or buy some long term codes now for use later.

This is what I thought, but after 100 days, we'll be blocked from updating virus definitions:

https://oicts.bis.gov/kaspersky/

"After 12:00 AM EDT on September 29, 2024, Kaspersky will be prohibited from providing any anti-virus signature updates and codebase updates associated with the ICTS transactions identified above; and operating the KSN in the United States or on any U.S. person's information technology system."

Not allowed Kaspersky on BYOD Devices. Can I cancel/get a refund? Lots of companies have BYOD policies and you have to agree to the terms and conditions. Unfortunately there is nothing myself as an end-user can do to reverse what is considered banned etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/21/us-kaspersky-antivirus-software-ban-russia-ties#:~:text=Joe Biden's administration has banned,US over national security concerns.

• Solution

Dear friends,

First of all thank you for your trust and support! We understand you are insterested now mostly in answers to practical questions but we need some time to analyze the situation throully in order to provide you with more specific information. We will keep you informed. Currently it's what we can officially comment:

Kaspersky is aware of the decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce to prohibit the sales and distribution of Kaspersky software in the United States. Kaspersky believes that the Department of Commerce made its decision based on the present geopolitical climate and theoretical concerns, rather than on a comprehensive evaluation of the integrity of Kaspersky’s products and services.
While at the moment we are ensuring the fulfillment of our obligations under existing contracts and the uninterrupted work of our solutions to our users and customers in the United States, Kaspersky’s management team is currently reviewing the provisions of the Final Determination with a view to pursuing all legally available options to preserve our current operations and relationships.

The Kaspersky team is diligently working to provide further guidance and respond to the questions of our clients as quickly as possible. We intend to release additional information on the company's support website soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

On 6/20/2024 at 3:43 PM, schu said:

I plan to continue to use Kaspersky, because I don't believe my own government. The hypocrisy is amazing, considering that Microsoft just came out with an operating system that allows AI to take snapshots of everything you do and we're supposed to trust them! I'm so sick of these people.

I'm tempted to buy an additional 5 year license, but the thing that's most concerning is that I've read we won't be able to update the product or virus definitions after 100 days. I've got 2 years left and a friend has 3. Can a VPN be used to bypass these restrictions?

I also don't trust the current US government either.  I just made a post in this thread highlighting just a tiny portion of all the corruption by the current administration and other areas of the government; but, for some reason, it looks like Kaspersky deleted my comment from view, censuring basic facts from the conversation, the same way the current US government has pressured and teamed up with many social media companies to censure people.  I'm not sure why they would do that, so now I don't give a crap what happens either way.  Everyone can go to hell, on all sides.

Edited by WhyDoYouWannaKnowMyName
Clarification

This is the Kaspersky official forum to give Support to users with issues, political and other topics outside that main matter are not allowed and considered off-topic, in any way it is not censure, just the community rule that Mods (from different countries) and Admins apply 24/7/12/365 no matter the geopolitical status in the world.

Sorry for the inconveniences 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2024 at 7:42 PM, tensalmon said:

Just read that next month, July, Kaspersky will no longer be "allowed" to sell it's products in the US. My current account is paid up until late September of this year.

Am I just going to have to stop using Kasperky? I am completely satisfied with Kaspersky and don't want to change.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep using it?

Thank you,

Richard

Relocating ?

Longtime multiple licenses user, somewhat disappointed -

Kaspersky should have at least sent an e-mail out to all of its US users about the specific stance it will adopt to this issue.

Posting a generalized, corporate speak "we are aware of this..." and so on, past 48 hours in seems a little defeatist.

Meanwhile all the competitors have updated their presence all over to entice customers of Kaspersky to switch over.

Certainly more effort on the competitors part since Thursday. Kaspersky should have been in front of this right away.

If there is some strategy on Kaspersky's part I certainly don't need to know any specifics. 

But if Kaspersky is indeed set on surviving this, communication would go a long way to keep the customer base positive.

• Like 1

Good choice.  Apparently senility is contagious.  I'm 75, been using KAV since it came out.  I was hoping the dementos fog wouldn't reach to Colorado, but apparently it's being flown in with H5N1 vectors.  At any rate, I came here to find out why I have a California download available but not a US since, in the US, practically, California is not attached to anything.  Didn't know about the dementia-elosi-lensky outbreak at the Department of Commerce.  Explains the choices.  Downloaded the Global and the California and they have different filenames and sizes, by 100k no less.  Presumed the extra 100k was languages but it turns out California is the larger one.  My normal paranoidity presumes so Google can embed privacy breaking products, but that's just me.  I do note, that since Google is now embedded in the website and other platform downloads, I should grow curious as to whether the Department of Commerce feels it's powerful enough to instruct Google to not download Kaspersky products or provide information on it's webpages, or hcaptcha security checks and, thus, cut Google's profit margins.  If Kaspersky lawyers were used to US current insanity they would ask Google to sue for interference with global and interstate commerce .  Court battle would be quick since Google doesn't hesitate to bribe judges. 

Anyway, after the above stream-of-consciousness.  Anyone know if it's possible to download KAV products for android, mac, linux, and windows off the Google platform and onto something like fDroid? 

Edited by kav_login.gloss443
spell & punctuation

7 hours ago, kav_login.gloss443 said:

Anyway, after the above stream-of-consciousness.  Anyone know if it's possible to download KAV products for android, mac, linux, and windows off the Google platform and onto something like fDroid? 

No. Because on FDroid are only best apps which are open source :classic_smile:.

But i use Aurora store (it is like google play store) all apps available for download in google play store is also in aurora store. They use same source for downloading apps like google play. So for example if exists update for Facebook app in google play it will be also in aurora store (same source). You should try it (you dont need google account in aurora store) simply login click anonymous.

I dont have google account linked in my phone.

• Like 2

Normally VPNs skip this type of situation, I don't think there are any problems with that.
The real problem is that you will not be able to buy it from the US, an alternative is that for example you buy it from Canada, Mexico, etc. You may want to consider activating the product by going through one of these countries to avoid unwanted censorship.

I have been using Kaspersky since 2002, and I have full confidence in their product and staff, greetings.

• Like 1

I think the political part of the conversation is not as important as what happens next. Rules of the house have changed, and whether I like or not I will have to comply (part of the perks of live in society) What I haven't read so far is what are the alternatives to current customers with long term licenses. As it stands Today, we will not able to use the product after the cut, and it is not hard to figure out will be the case for a while. Hopefully the information is going to get out soon, as migrating to other products will take time and money. Still, it is a shame we cannot use the product considered the industry leader in the field, but it is what it is.

• Like 1