Malwarebytes compatibility with Kaspersky

Krbnsol

Hi Krbnsol, welcome to the new forum. There is no need to use a second AV product in addition to Total Security. On the contrary, the two may interfere. But there is no reason not to use Malwarebytes for a second opinion from time to time. The free version without real-time protection is sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...
I am wondering if these two programs can coexist together. I have Malwarebytes Lifetime which I purchased before I purchased Kaspersky Total Security. When I went I update my Kaspersky to the newest version it uninstalled my Malwarebytes with the message saying that it was incompatible software.

The version of Kaspersky I am using is: Kaspersky Total Security (build 20.0.14.1085c)

I am wondering if these two programs can coexist together. I have Malwarebytes Lifetime which I purchased before I purchased Kaspersky Total Security. Then I went I update my Kaspersky to the newest version it uninstalled my Malwarebytes with the message saying that it was incompatible software. The version of Kaspersky I am using is: Kaspersky Total Security (build 20.0.14.1085c)
Hello TmLIsMe1408, Kaspersky software and Malwarebytes have similar needs, using both products in automated mode is not advisable as there's a possibility of competing resources, If as a result, Kaspersky did not protect you as designed - that would be an issue. I use Malawarebytes "on demand", not running automatically at system startup, nor using the "real time" features. To check your circumstances, you could reinstall MBAM, change MBAM startup parameters to manual. Reboot - FULL shutdown of computer, restart, login, make sure Kaspersky application is running, start MBAM - any problems > uninstall MBAM, no problems, good to go. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue with the person started this thread. I chose to not uninstall the Malwarebytes and then my PC crashed. I don’t know if it was crashed because there was an issue with Password Manager (there was no link to buy the Premium version and the procedure caught up in a loop), or the reason that my PC crashed was due to something else.

I don’t see why should I uninstall MalwareBytes, since I have paid for the program and it is aimed at protection from malware (trojans etc.) whilst the KIS is aimed at protection from viruses. I don’t believe KIS can detect the more sneaky malware that MalwareBytes can.

I remember well that in the past Kaspersky was suggesting to use MalwareBytes as a friendly site. I don’t know what has changed between them, but I find it dishonest for Kaspersky to force us remove MalwareBytes, pushing down our throats their possible problems they have had with MalwareBytes (or vice versa: MalwareBytes with Kaspersky).

Either way, we all know the good old advice, to have more than one security programs scanning your system, since one might find something that the other software could not find.

My 2 cents.

Good day yesterday after many moths decided to use the update which sat dormant on KIS 2019 to latest version 20.0.14.1085(g) but did not uninstall Malwarebytes as suggested and when my pc restarted I could not go online with any of my installed browsers and not thinking it was a compatibility problem spent a long time trying to fix it by uninstalling both Malwarebytes and KIS.

I now only have KIS 2020 installed but feel naked without the added protection from Malwarebyte and after reading this thread going to try and install Malearebytes and leave real time protection un ticked and hope I do not have the same problems as before failing that i will have to look online for the KIS 2019 and install that because it worked with no problems side by side with Malwarbytes.

Do you have a link where I could download KIS 2019….thanks in advance

I had the same issue with the person started this thread. I chose to not uninstall the Malwarebytes and then my PC crashed. I don’t know if it was crashed because there was an issue with Password Manager (there was no link to buy the Premium version and the procedure caught up in a loop), or the reason that my PC crashed was due to something else.

I don’t see why should I uninstall MalwareBytes, since I have paid for the program and it is aimed at protection from malware (trojans etc.) whilst the KIS is aimed at protection from viruses. I don’t believe KIS can detect the more sneaky malware that MalwareBytes can.

I remember well that in the past Kaspersky was suggesting to use MalwareBytes as a friendly site. I don’t know what has changed between them, but I find it dishonest for Kaspersky to force us remove MalwareBytes, pushing down our throats their possible problems they have had with MalwareBytes (or vice versa: MalwareBytes with Kaspersky).

Either way, we all know the good old advice, to have more than one security programs scanning your system, since one might find something that the other software could not find.

My 2 cents.

Luminous, I agree with you 100%, they are two different applications for different needs, regardless of what Kaspersky wishes we to believe, MalwareBytes has protected me for years, as well as Kaspersky, just in different ways.

I too think it’s a deceitful practice Kaspersky has done to force? —or try to convince us to uninstall MalwareBytes which I will not do and yes, you are correct in your last paragraph, agree!

Update- I have uninstalled KIS 20 and reinstalled KIS 19 and now my pc is back to where it was before Kaspersky Internet Security 20 decide I could not run Malwarebytes together on the same PC so until the KIS issues a fix I will stay on version 19, thank you to Flood for the download link.

Hello everyone,
Installing several antiviruses is not worth it. More details in the following articles:
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/two-av-same-pc/5151/
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/running-more-than-one-antivirus-program

https://support.kaspersky.com/15082#block1

@anthatonyhow to install the previous version is written in this article: https://support.kaspersky.com/15101#block1
You can download the previous version here: https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/

While I appreciate your arguments, I work in IT for a mid-size insurance company.  We run  three monitoring services, precisely because no one product can be excellent at everything.   If the hackers manage to evade one service, there are backups to catch other angles or subversions.

Not to mention there has been several times, just this year, that Malwarebytes has block malicious access that Kaspersky didn't even notice.  Only twice has Kaspersky stopped maliciousness that Malwarebytes didn't flag, in the entirety that I've had Kaspersky.  I'll stick with running two services and my real experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if these two programs can coexist together. I have Malwarebytes Lifetime which I purchased before I purchased Kaspersky Total Security.

When I went I update my Kaspersky to the newest version it uninstalled my Malwarebytes with the message saying that it was incompatible software.

The version of Kaspersky I am using is: Kaspersky Total Security (build 20.0.14.1085c)

@TmLIsMe1408 

I understand that you have a Malwarebytes Lifetime license.

Providing you have a moderate technical capability and have patience and are willing to keep an open mind;   and apply some mutual trust exclusions, it should be possible to get a working, smoother installation of Malwarebytes Premium 4  and the KTS  with patch G or higher.

The Malwarebytes help forum has very good tips.

Starting at this link   ( and those that follow )

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255397-malwarebytes-ver-40449/?do=findComment&comment=1355698

Very sincerely.

I agree, but you cannot insure against everything. No antivirus guarantees 100% protection.
By installing several antivirus programs you can only do poorly. The main thing to follow the basics of security:
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/category/tips/

But Malwarebytes is an anti-malware, not anti-virus software.

• 1 month later...

For a long time I have chosen either Kaspersky or one of the others, (e.g. German “A” companies) as the real-time protection. I do believe a dedicated anti-virus is helpful, and not just the Windows Defender stuff.  And I use Malwarebytes and Super-Anti-Spyware as my two “on demand” scanners. 

Also, Malwarebytes now owns the Binisoft Windows Firewall Control, which I have used for years in free mode.

Like others here, I have no desire to dump Malwarebytes, it has helped me in various ways over the years.  So if Kaspersky  makes us jump through hoops even to have the on demand usage of Malwarebytes, I will, for now, have to pass on installing Kaspersky.

Suggestion: work hard on coordinating with Malwarebytes on this issue, when MB is in “on demand” mode.

Thanks!

Perhaps.  However, since I already have Malwarebytes installed, I am reluctant to allow Kaspersky to do an uninstall. 

And I would do it myself, but the whole idea is not in my comfort zone.

Perhaps Kaspersky could ask me if I use Malwarebytes in an active/automated mode or “on demand:”. e.g. My mbam.exe has a CPU use of 0, a type of confirmation of “on demand”.

Then it could warn me again and do its install, and even possibly add exclusionary data to Kaspersky.

Remember, there are comparable free anti-viruses that have no difficulty on this point at all. Maybe Kaspersky is superior some, I did like using it a little white back, but this idea of asking to uninstall Malwarebytes is not so good.  I use the two programs in totally different ways.

Hi,

I fully support @Steven Avery ´s opinion. I also have used MalwareBytes (actually 4.0.4. premium) together with KIS parallely in the past, and up to KIS 2020 all worked absolutely stable together - of course both in real-time scan mode! My experience is as follows: After upgrading from KIS 2019 to KIS 2020 a lot of problems occured suddenly (see list in my 1st post in the similar thread “Malwarebytes compatibility” here 5 days ago. Installed new KIS 2020 version on two PCs (1 x HP EliteBook; 1 x brand new HP Z2 TWR G4) and on both had a lot of problems including several system crashes, freezing a couple of programs (e.g. Firefox, Powershell, Windows Explorer, Search-Box in the task bar, Windows settings etc.) and an extremely system slowdown. At the same time I have used a third PC (HP z240) with KIS 2019 not upgraded (patch k version) & MalwareBytes 3. x and 4.0. - and didn´t have a single problem up to now!!! So I re-installed the former KIS 2019 (using the full installer .exe) on the laptop and everything works very well again since then - logically together with MalwareBytes in real-time scan mode. Will test the 2nd new PC with this setup right now.

For me it´s pretty clear - KIS 2020 and only this (probably as well as all KL 2020 - products) causes all these “incompatible system issues”. Would really like to know why? What did KL change from 2019 to 2020? (By the way: when installing KIS 2020 on the new PC it detected Malwarebytes “version 3.x” which wasn´t installed never before there. So what does KIS 2020 de-install instead of if activating the option to remove the conflict programm?)

Unfortunately I didn´t get any response from any moderator to my 1st post up to now. Will not upgrade or install any later KIS version until this “incompatibility issue” with MalwareBytes is not solved. If not: If the new company policy of KL is to jeopardize other useful anti-malware (real-time) scanners and to conflict even Windows 10 stability it could be time to say goodbye to KL-products - sorry for saying this because would like to use KIS also in the future. But to uninstall MalwareBytes or to use it only “on demand” is a no-go for me. It worked before, so bring it to work again!

anthantong I got my version from https://products.kaspersky-labs.com/ try it you might find version you looking for...good luck

Using that I get:

Goes hand in hand with being able to sign in here using a Facebook account - Duh!
From the man in the long black coat standing the shadows of the alleyway - - - Pssst - wanna sign  in little boy/girl, use Facebook.