Update Settings have been changed so there is no New Application Version choice.

Felix77
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I noticed that after patch update from 20.0.14.1085 (i)  to  20.0.14.1085 (j)  there has been a change in the update settings screen  (settings cog>Additional>Update) which can be seen by pictures below.

From 20.0.14.1085 (i)

To  20.0.14.1085 (j)

Q1.  Does this mean that user no longer has a choice regards:  'Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when they are available'   OR   ‘Download and install new versions automatically’  ?

Q2. These seem to have gone missing and is this normal for the latest patch  20.0.14.1085 (j)  ??Looks like the program has changed so everything is updated automatically and user has no control over this any more.

Q3. I have looked all over the GUI and cannot find the above settings elsewhere.  Does anybody know where they maybe or is this a change done by Kaspersky ??

Lookin forward to a reply   ….  Felix77

Thankyou Nexon...I generally do not update to a new program version as I like matured software. So when a new version of the program itself comes out …. say for example Kaspersky Antivirus 2021 I would not update to it until it has had several patch updates to sort out any bugs/issues.   I would  bother with Kaspersky Antivirus 2021 on patch letter (d) but avoid Kaspersky Antivirus 2021 on patch (b).

1. When Kaspersky notifys as mentioned in your post …. does user have a choice to say ‘No I do not want to update to the latest program version’  ??  Thanks Felix77

So when I receive this notification in future can I just ignore the notification so I do not  DOWNLOAD NOW or UPGRADE.  In other words I make no changes and ignore the notification.  Thanks Felix88

Hello @Felix77,

Additional. 

• While the Update settings window, new application versions information has been removed, from the GUIit’s important to distinguish between new application versions and patches. 
  • Patches are distributed silently, atm, you will not know a patch has “arrived”, until Kaspersky’s arbitrary time parameter 168 hrs/7days has expired, at which time, the following will be shared with you

Notification Center - Reboot option, no Ignore/Defer option

MyKaspersky Notifcation Devices Reboot advisory

MyKaspersky Devices Tab, Device image colour will change & advisory: Computer Reboot required 

Windows Taskbar, Kaspersky icon will change to RED

• If you plan to not accept a patch until the 3 or 4th patch of a new application version has been released, you will need to ensure your device is not shutdown at all, as a shutdown will apply the “waiting” patch.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Thanks for info FLOOD.  Am ok getting patches and am aware of information in your post above.

Am really asking

in regards to an actual program version update, not patch updates.  In other words if it a program update (not patch update) can I ignore and Not do  a Download Now or Upgrade.  In other words myself the user can choose to not upgrade/download the new Program version?

My intuition is telling me Kaspersky is moving to a situation where Program and Patch updates will be mandatory with no choice on this for user.

Hello @Felix77
You’re most welcome☺ !

Because Kaspersky have removed (in Patch J), from the GUI, Update settings window, New application versions:

• ➡ Download and install new versions automatically. 
  • ▶ Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when new versions are available.

& there’s no information in the Patch Release notes, nor any other documentation, it’s impossible to know. Your intuition may be correct, I don’t know. 

To date, I’ve seen nothing to clarify, other than the information regarding Maintenance releases proposal, @harlan4096 may know, he seems to be the go-to-guy for reliable information. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

harlan4096 my questions are regarding an actual program version update (major) … not patch updates.  Do not agree that updating all the time is all good.  It can come with problems and often does.  That is why  I like some control over updating as well as good knowledge about what I am updating too….as mentioned initially I always look for matured software...not the latest necessarily.

Thanks for your help FLOOD and Nexon too….Felix77

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I too have noticed that Kaspersky has taken that away and I contacted them and asked for the reason and I was told basically it was the Engineers who decided to do this and for safety reasons.

I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 until next December and recently the 2021 version downlaoded so I removed it and went back to the 2020 version.

Who do we speak to about this please?  Our subscriptions start in June, so should I talk to Technical help and ask since I have paid for our subscription until next December, will they allow me not to have to pay for another subscription since they are updating us automatically?

Please who do I contact in regards to this matter?  Do I need to contact Eugene?

We like Kaspersky and don’t want to have to find another protection or even that, go to a Apple or Chrome Book like they use in the schools.

Thank you.

Due to this feature being removed my version 20 has just automatically been updated to version 21 which has many configuration features missing. I just hate version 21, as it is not the version I purchased. How do I get a version that doesn’t auto-update to a new version, but still keeps the database updated?

• Solution

Hello @steve1949 !

You can get 2020 version from Tech Support, next apply registry fix to do not allow install new versions of products.

Registy fix is mentioned here: https://community.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-internet-security-13/how-do-i-prevent-kis20-from-updating-to-21-12842

There is a known suggestion to retrieve this option back - 4433532.

Hi Anton, thanks very much for getting back to me on this, but I have KAV20 not KIS, so the instructions mentioned in the link don’t match the KAV interface. I also logged a tech support ticket and the person who responded to me basically said I just had to live with this issue. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated, as now I don’t know what to do as I still have over a year to go on 2 PCs with my KAV license. I see that the .reg file contents refer to AVP20. Does this mean the anti-virus registry settings for KAV and KIS the same for this feature?

Hi again @andrew75 and @Anton Mefodys, thank you both again for your help. I have Windows 10 on a 64-bit platform. I uninstalled KAV21 that had installed itself, rebooted and then installed KAV20. I then stopped KAV20 from running and checked the task manager to make sure. Ran the .reg file discussed earlier and it failed. Then ran regedit as administrator and found that the first key in the .reg file had been applied, but not the second one. I tried applying the second key manually in regedit but it still wouldn’t let me add it. Anyway I have rebooted and so far I still have KAV20 installed.