Malwarebytes considered "incompatible" with Kaspersky Free

Evander

I use Kaspersky Free as my main antivirus software. I also have the free version of Malwarebytes with no real-time scanning activated. Despite this Kaspersky Free keeps telling me to remove Malwarebytes so I went on the Malwarebytes website and added some file paths to the exclusion list in Kaspersky, basically every single one that i was able to exclude. This is the page I used from the Malwarebytes website: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038522974-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4-antivirus-exclusions-list. Even though I added all the exclusions, Kaspersky keeps telling me in the "recommended" tab that Malwarebytes should be uninstalled, whenever i contact technical support on Kaspersky team for answers they keep telling me it is incompatible with Kaspersky. Still, Malwarebytes themselves say that Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside other antivirus software. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I really need help on this.

@EvanderWelcome

Although you don't have to, because Kaspersky offers excellent protection, you can still use a second security solution as a second layer of security on your system if you wish.

Be aware of the following facts (I know you already made some points, but just to reinforce)
  • Place the second security product with real-time protection disabled (acting as a second layer of security), leaving Kaspersky with real-time protection enabled.
  • There is no need to deactivate your Kaspersky product while running a scan with the other security product.
  • If Kaspersky gives you a message about software incompatibility, this recommendation is only a precautionary measure, as Kaspersky does not check how the other product is configured.
  • Add the folder (→ "%ProgramData%\Kaspersky Lab\") for your Kaspersky installation to the second security product's scan exclusion settings so that the product's databases and directories are not mistakenly detected as malicious.
Edited by Guilhermesene4096
  • Like 3

Ok it sounds like Kaspersky Free and Malwarebytes will not automatically interfere with each other, rather it is just a warning to be wary of them possible colliding, I use Malwarebytes free version so the Real-Time protection for it is turned off so it should never interfere sounds like. I simply use it as an independent scanner sometimes just to check if Kaspersky missed anything with their scan. In your experience this should not be issue sounds like right? Also i tried adding the file path you listed as an exclusion but the folder in Kaspersky Lab returned 3 child folders for which to select with all of them having multiple items underneath them as well. I will show PNG image. If you want see more I can post video as well, but i think I don't even have to do anything since you say it is just a warning and not actual conflicting applications. Just let me know if I am wrong. Also I checked the incompatible applications with Kaspersky for windows and it does list Malwarebytes as one of them but the version it lists is version 3.5.1.2522 whereas the version i am currently using for Malwarebytes free is Malwarebytes version 4.6.8.311 

Thanks for help just let me know if it sound like I am doing something wrong.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 212503.png

4 hours ago, Evander said:

Ok it sounds like Kaspersky Free and Malwarebytes will not automatically interfere with each other, rather it is just a warning to be wary of them possible colliding, I use Malwarebytes free version so the Real-Time protection for it is turned off so it should never interfere sounds like. I simply use it as an independent scanner sometimes just to check if Kaspersky missed anything with their scan. In your experience this should not be issue sounds like right? Also i tried adding the file path you listed as an exclusion but the folder in Kaspersky Lab returned 3 child folders for which to select with all of them having multiple items underneath them as well. I will show PNG image. If you want see more I can post video as well, but i think I don't even have to do anything since you say it is just a warning and not actual conflicting applications. Just let me know if I am wrong. Also I checked the incompatible applications with Kaspersky for windows and it does list Malwarebytes as one of them but the version it lists is version 3.5.1.2522 whereas the version i am currently using for Malwarebytes free is Malwarebytes version 4.6.8.311 

Thanks for help just let me know if it sound like I am doing something wrong.

Hello @Evander

Welcome back!

Kaspersky will always *warn* about the MB conflict as it's listed - as previously shown by Moderator @kmscom. As long as MB is run as an independent scanner - not real-time -everything will be fine. 

Don't worry about the MB version in Kaspersky's documentation.

Add the exclusion from within the MB application, drill down to: C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.15 or AVP21.16 & select Add

mb-exclusion.thumb.gif.81fb7eec9b4788f59f97e1c4398e68d7.gif

The exclusion will look like this, except *your* Kaspersky might be 21.16* - do not go to the 'child' level:

USER_2024-02-07_142826.thumb.jpg.28a6c82bf13608f6a695bbe7eee098c3.jpg

IF (you) wish you may also add an exclusion for MB to Kaspersky. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
added instruction. added gif

@Evander

This subject has been coming up since many years in this Kaspersky Forum.
Malwarebytes is recommending to add following exclusions in a third party antivirus software

Folders

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes

Files if needed

• C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (Only present on 64-bit machines.)
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (Only present on 32-bit machines.)
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt11.sys (Only present on Windows 11 machines.)

• Like 1

yep i tried as many of those exclusions as i could, it total up to 4 exclusions for me. Still recommends that i uninstall Malwarebytes but from what i understand from the other guys this should not be an issue as it is only cautionary step right?

I missed what Flood and Flood's wife recommended me but just saw it and added that one last exclusion on the Malwarebytes application itself not on Kaspersky Application. On Kaspersky I have 4 of those exclusions from that Malwarebytes page so problem should be done and done. One last thing i want to say, I contacted Kaspersky Technical support over email and they kept telling me I should just uninstall Malwarebytes over and over, this was a few weeks ago I believe, just think I should let you guys know. Kaspersky still recommends I delete Malwarebytes version 3.x-4.x on recommendation tab, but you guys say it is no problem. My problem should be fully solved though, thank you.

Edited by Evander
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1