US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

Go to solution Solved by MedvedevUnited,

• The title was changed to US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus
  • This topic was locked and unlocked

I received the following very welcome email from Kaspersky.  I particularly welcome the 3rd bullet point, which is what I hoped for.

Reply-To: Kaspersky <*****@*****.tld>
Subject: True information about your subscription
Date: Friday, July 12, 2024 4:16 PM

True information about your subscription

Dear Kaspersky client,

We wanted to share an update regarding your Kaspersky subscription given all of the recent news. As of today, your subscription is active, and we've decided to extend it for for 1 month for free  to ensure a smooth transition while we work through a thoughtful solution.

Despite our challenges in the US market, we are 100 percent committed to ensuring that our customers continue to be well served by a world class provider.

It's been brought to our attention that our former partner Digital River has sent misleading information to our customers in an attempt to take advantage of this situation, however we want you to know what we are doing to ensure that all of our customers continue to receive the kind of service and support that reflects the high level of satisfaction to which Kaspersky is committed.

- Firstly, Kaspersky is fully transparent, safe to use and independently proven as  https://usa.kaspersky.com/blog/kaspersky-product-of-the-year-2023-av-comparatives/29652/  the most effective consumer security on the market  and we are completely focused on ensuring that does not change.
    - Secondly, we will pursue all possible legal measures to keep you protected
    - Finally, we are actively working with a leading US provider to ensure that there is a worldclass replacement security solution from a US company for every one of our US customers.

We thank you for choosing us. Please stay safe, and we will of course keep you updated.

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/faq/2024-us-sales-statement

Regards,
Kaspersky

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Telmea Story said:

USban, VPNservers

Hello @Telmea Story

Welcome!

This is the most current information available, post by @MedvedevUnited on behalf of Kaspersky, in topic: US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus & Guide on Kaspersky software availability in the United States

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• The title was changed to US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

According to https://www.zetter-zeroday.com/kaspersky-lab-closing-u-s-division-laying-off-workers-2/ of July 15:

Kaspersky Lab, has told workers in its U.S.-based division that they are being laid off this week and that it is closing its U.S. business, according to several sources.  ...

Kaspersky confirmed the news to Zero Day, saying that beginning July 20 it will "gradually wind down" its U.S. operations and eliminate U.S.-based positions as a result of the new ban, despite initially vowing to fight the ban in court.

"The company has carefully examined and evaluated the impact of the U.S. legal requirements and made this sad and difficult decision as business opportunities in the country are no longer viable," the company said in a statement.

So I guess we are down to that previous email's 3rd bullet point:

- Finally, we are actively working with a leading US provider to ensure that there is a worldclass replacement security solution from a US company for every one of our US customers.

I look forward to seeing the result.

• 3 weeks later...

This is stupid.. yes I had some issues with the software in the past, but I still like the product and the security it's giving me. I don't give a crap if Kaspersky is HQ in Russia. The product is good. How can I bypass it so that I can keep getting Kaspersky? I've been using this software for years! Never had an issue with it.

@Raika

I believe that Forum policy prohibits Forum personnel and members from replying to your question.

These Forums also do not permit geopolitical discussions.

That said, I agree with your assessment that Kaspersky is a leader in antivirus software!

Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

I think it is terrible customer service with the communication that was not sent out and the people who work on the phone for customer service. I never received an email informing me of the situation and I did not just pay for a 3 year subscription just to be limited on the protection I receive. Let alone if they emailed me the day it happened I would've been able to receive a refund. 

I understand that after September 2024 there will be no access to Kaspersky antivirus signature and codebase updates in the US. But what if I am traveling outside the US internet domain?

If I am traveling in 2025 with a laptop running windows 11 with Kaspersky Internet Security purchased in USA (my license goes to end of 2025),
and I am in (for example) Turkey, China, or India,
will Kaspersky Internet Security on the laptop be able to receive database updates and perhaps even product updates?

After my previous post I've found that Kaspersky has centers operating in Istanbul, Kigali, Kuala Lumpur, Madrid, Riyadh, Rome, São Paulo, Singapore, Tokyo, Utrecht, Woburn (US), and Zurich. I have not yet been able to definitely verify if these are the centers we use for KIS database updates but I think they are.

Then I found the list of Kaspersky update servers at https://support.kaspersky.com/common/start/6105

My current theory is that after the Woburn servers go away after September (and I assume the US will block access to Kaspersky servers outside the US) a VPN into, say, Turkey will get updates from the servers there.

A preliminary test with nslookup of the same Kaspersky update server URL in the US then with a VPN into Turkey gave different results. A VPN for Kaspersky database updates might just work.

Without too much difficulty a VPN can be set up on Windows for only specified applications to use the VPN network channel. Some VPN products make it easy.

What is the working solution right now? I have had this product for years. I absolutely did not find out about this until I saw something on my top news reports when I was traveling outside of the Country last week. I do not have any other solutions lined up as this product has been my go to. I know I have "coverage" under my current subscription until the middle of Sept, but I don't know what other product to actually trust. 

I was hoping that I would hear something from the company as to another solution per the above posts, but I checked my email multiple times and have not discovered anything new. Does anyone have an email that I might not have with a suggested product? 

What happens to those that paid for a longer subscription and essentially have no active coverage after Sept 2024? Will they have reimbursement?

• Like 1

I had emailed Kaspersky support and today received a response to my question:

• If I am traveling in 2025 with a laptop running windows 11 with Kaspersky Internet Security purchased in USA (my license goes to end of 2025), and I am in (for example) Turkey, China, or India, will Kaspersky Internet Security on the laptop be able to receive database updates and perhaps even product updates?

Kaspersky support response:

• Yes, you will receive the database and product updates if you travel out of the USA

So using a VPN to receive database updates should work.

I have kaspersky subscription for 500 more days. I too do not want to/plan on using anything else as I have used several different AV and kaspersky is my all time favorite and makes me feel safest. One question that constantly comes across my mind is how bad will this hurt Kaspersky? What is their US Market share of KAV subscriptions. I have not read the official government statement, I just know it has to do with politics. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:44 PM, Berny said:

@steve33

The EU is not involved in this issue and is a different subject.
I am located in the EU and will update this Topic when needed.

https : //techcrunch.com/2024/06/26/how-the-kaspersky-ban-will-hit-resellers-in-the-us/

How will this affect my last 5 months of updates?

The Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security, which called it a “first of its kind” ban, said it took action because the antivirus and security software maker is headquartered in Russia, which poses unacceptable cybersecurity and privacy risks for Americans. 

Top executives at Kaspersky https : //techcrunch.com/2024/06/21/u-s-government-sanctions-kaspersky-executives/, effectively barring U.S. businesses and customers from paying Kaspersky beginning July 20, when the ban on selling the software to new customers begins. Kaspersky will be permitted to provide software and security updates to existing U.S. customers until September 29, after which the updates will stop and Kaspersky’s software will become far less effective.

I recently received an email from Digital River about switching to an alternate antivirus system by Sept 29. I shall refuse.

I have one or maybe two options.

The first is to switch to a Linux system which is a pain in the ass but gives me the pleasure of sticking it to Microsoft. As Linux isn't commonly used, there less likelihood of being hacked so it won't matter so much which antivirus software I use.

The second option is to use a VPN to get Kaspersky + updates. However, I don't what countries are likely to continue using Kaspersky for the foreseeable future, although the US seems to be the only one banning it so far.

I may pursue both of these options.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2024 at 3:20 AM, Arius said:

After my previous post I've found that Kaspersky has centers operating in Istanbul, Kigali, Kuala Lumpur, Madrid, Riyadh, Rome, São Paulo, Singapore, Tokyo, Utrecht, Woburn (US), and Zurich. I have not yet been able to definitely verify if these are the centers we use for KIS database updates but I think they are.

Then I found the list of Kaspersky update servers at https://support.kaspersky.com/common/start/6105

My current theory is that after the Woburn servers go away after September (and I assume the US will block access to Kaspersky servers outside the US) a VPN into, say, Turkey will get updates from the servers there.

A preliminary test with nslookup of the same Kaspersky update server URL in the US then with a VPN into Turkey gave different results. A VPN for Kaspersky database updates might just work.

Without too much difficulty a VPN can be set up on Windows for only specified applications to use the VPN network channel. Some VPN products make it easy.

A little curiosity of sorts here -- technically, these are *technical* questions:

1)  Kaspersky's own VPN app requires someone to buy the upgraded / premium

version to choose which country to VPN to / through (besides the US, when one

purchases the app in the US).  IF Kaspersky were to change that so that anybody

who uses their free version of their VPN could access at least one country that is

outside the Biden regime's Department of Injustice (as some would call it) ban, then

-- theoretically speaking -- any Kaspersky VPN user could use such a VPN to

access the needed update files and go on with their lives unimpeded by this blatant

violation of our US 4th Amendment right -- right ?

(This is not political commentary, as it is a matter of history.  The 4th Amendment

to the US Constitution says this:  "The right of the people to be secure in

their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable

searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall

issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,

and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons

or things to be seized.As a matter of fact -- not political opinion -- the US

government went through no legal process through the US court system to block me

from using Kaspersky products, *and* the ban does not criminalize my continuing to

use the products, just interferes with my access to them, so until a lawsuit is filed

against the US government ban, or a different administration is voted in, . . .)

Simply put, as a legal OWNER of PROPERTY -- my Kaspersky licenses, some of

which do not expire for *years* from now -- I have value which I refuse to yield.

The answer is NO.

2)  If a) a set of Kaspersky Total security app update file / virus definition update file

were to be obtained from somewhere in the world, then put on a set location on the

LAN of a household, a business, or some other entity which has rights, and b) the

company were to write their app code in such a way as to make such a LAN location

a simple setting to be input, then . . .  updating those two files in that location on the

LAN would enable every PC on that LAN to receive & use those files within seconds

of their being put there, correct ?  

Just received an email about this. It seems we will be handed to another company, UltraAV, which honestly is the first time I heard about. Even though this is a quite better answer than the initial response, I believe it would be better to have a refund option and let us choose which product we would like to use.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nickle said:

Just received an email about this. It seems we will be handed to another company, UltraAV, which honestly is the first time I heard about. Even though this is a quite better answer than the initial response, I believe it would be better to have a refund option and let us choose which product we would like to use.

Hello @nickle

Thank you for sharing the information!

May we ask - is that for VPN *alone* or AV & VPN combined - please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood&#x27;s wife said:

Hello @nickle

Thank you for sharing the information!

May we ask - is that for VPN *alone* or AV & VPN combined - please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Here is the actual email I received

image.thumb.png.862d9ecfab470c2ada14db234d8ae5e7.png

but do you know something? Now I am having second thoughts about how legitimate this email is. In a second look, it turns out it is coming from *****@*****.tld and it has a link to what clearly is a funnel page, and the language is quite suspicious. Also, the address in teh signature doesn't match the sender. I guess random companies are taking advantage of the situation and it is another call to be more diligent with the stuff we receive. I hope my little mistake (unless the company communicates the opposite) helps others not to bite on scams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nickle said:

but do you know something? Now I am having second thoughts about how legitimate this email is.

Hello,

Yes, this email is legitimate. We are very grateful to you for coming to clarify this directly with us. Let us reassure you that the email is coming from us is legitimate, and let you know more details about the matter it is intended to convey. As you may know we’ve been forced to suspend sales and distribution of our products in the US, but we remain committed to providing you with the utmost cybersecurity. And as we’re forced to limit our cybersecurity products in functionality, we give you an opportunity to get a replacement security solution by our trusted partner — UltraAV. You can find more information about UltraAV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2