Prevent automatic upgrade.

Hi 

I know upgrading Kaspersky to the latest version can cause undesired/unexpected issues.  Is Total Security 2020 configured to automatically update to the latest version?  

If so, is there a way to disable it from automatically updating itself to the latest build? 

I’d rather have control of this and wait for “bugs” to be worked out before deciding to upgrade my version to the latest.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Hello @MOY_MORAGA
Welcome!

Unfortunately, as of v2020 patch J, Kaspersky have removed:

New application versions:

• → Download and install new versions automatically. 
  • → Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when new versions are available.

These are their responses on the topic:

Sent: Tuesday, 19 May 2020 12:42

Our developers have deemed that regularly upgrading our products to the latest versions is necessary to keep the effectiveness of the security they provide.

Sent: Thursday, 21 May 2020 18:05

Because for now Kaspersky company does not want the users to control automatic update to the latest version, thus "Disable automatic update to the latest version" has been removed.

Sent: Friday, 22 May 2020 14:58

User complaints and feedback are always welcome and will be taken into consideration in future builds and versions. As of now, Kaspersky has chosen to implement the change to ensure that customers are up to date and are well-protected. 

Sent: Monday, 1 June 2020 12:44

The complaints are duly noted and have been acknowledged by our Experts. However, this is Kaspersky's way of ensuring that the protection provided to our Users are the updated ones.

Sent: Wednesday, 3 June 2020 12:56

For now, Kaspersky will keep the current and monitor the newly applied changes and will move forward with it until further product discussions.

unquote

Regarding “I’d rather have control of this and wait for “bugs” to be worked out before deciding to upgrade my version to the latest.”, you’re not alone, however, that appears to be of little concern to Kaspersky 🤐

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @MOY_MORAGA
Welcome!

Unfortunately, as of v2020 patch J, Kaspersky have removed:

New application versions:

• → Download and install new versions automatically. 
  • → Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when new versions are available.

These are their responses on the topic:

Sent: Tuesday, 19 May 2020 12:42

Our developers have deemed that regularly upgrading our products to the latest versions is necessary to keep the effectiveness of the security they provide.

Sent: Thursday, 21 May 2020 18:05

Because for now Kaspersky company does not want the users to control automatic update to the latest version, thus "Disable automatic update to the latest version" has been removed.

Sent: Friday, 22 May 2020 14:58

User complaints and feedback are always welcome and will be taken into consideration in future builds and versions. As of now, Kaspersky has chosen to implement the change to ensure that customers are up to date and are well-protected. 

Sent: Monday, 1 June 2020 12:44

The complaints are duly noted and have been acknowledged by our Experts. However, this is Kaspersky's way of ensuring that the protection provided to our Users are the updated ones.

Sent: Wednesday, 3 June 2020 12:56

For now, Kaspersky will keep the current and monitor the newly applied changes and will move forward with it until further product discussions.

unquote

Regarding “I’d rather have control of this and wait for “bugs” to be worked out before deciding to upgrade my version to the latest.”, you’re not alone, however, that appears to be of little concern to Kaspersky 🤐

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi Flood, 

WOW… Well that really stinks, I can’t believe that got rid of that feature.  New build versions for any program, especially an AV suite can cause issues to a system and other applications.  Doesn’t feel right not having the ability to stay at a version that plays nice with everything.  Very disappointing. 😤

Hello @MOY_MORAGA,

I can understand your concerns about a new version.

Kaspersky, however, tries to identify and isolate problems as early as possible.
The distribution will be made initially for a small group. If there are no errors, the group will be expanded. If an issue can be identified, the distribution is stopped until the issue is fixed. Only then will the distribution be continued.

This is the standard procedure nowadays. All well-known software manufacturers use this procedure.
If you are affected by a bug, it is very unfortunate. But millions of different PC systems can't be tested in any other way.

For Kaspersky (and also for the users) it also has the advantage that only a few KL versions have to be adapted to constantly new challenges. Instead of five or more versions, KL can focus on the two newest ones.

Hello @MOY_MORAGA,

I can understand your concerns about a new version.

Kaspersky, however, tries to identify and isolate problems as early as possible.
The distribution will be made initially for a small group. If there are no errors, the group will be expanded. If an issue can be identified, the distribution is stopped until the issue is fixed. Only then will the distribution be continued.

This is the standard procedure nowadays. All well-known software manufacturers use this procedure.
If you are affected by a bug, it is very unfortunate. But millions of different PC systems can't be tested in any other way.

For Kaspersky (and also for the users) it also has the advantage that only a few KL versions have to be adapted to constantly new challenges. Instead of five or more versions, KL can focus on the two newest ones.

Thank you for your reply Schulte, appreciate the time you took in providing that insight.  Unfortunately with millions of PC systems, you never know how many will be impacted negatively with a new build version, therefore it’s always a good idea to have an option to hold off for a while until bugs get worked out.  There are many conscientious users that research everything before making a change because of the impact it will have on their dad to day tasks.  Regardless, of the reasons options are always good and can serve as a safe measure for many.

Thanks again for your input :)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I do not mind updating Kaspersky in a “timely” manner. I do resent Kaspersky software making this decision completely on its own. Today it did so while my system was completing the boot process and the Kaspersky actions caused several processes to fail or change system defaults. I had to reboot once Kaspersky was done updating.

I would prefer to have  the updater ask for permission. If I do not give it within 5 minutes, it would start a 24 hour timer after which I would face the current “no choice now” forced, immediate update if an update had not yet been done. Please try to be realistic about how people use their systems. Do not unnecessarily interfere with ongoing processes for routine maintenance without permission.

Hello @JC777

We agree! 

The name Kaspersky has assigned to managing version updates says it all, Total Force upgrade. 

We’ve discussed possible better solutions with Kaspersky, ad infinitum, they are not listening. 

One only has to review the numerous contributions here in the Community to know TFU, without options & warning, is an unwelcome change due to the problems it causes Kaspersky customers. 

Your contribution is a perfect example. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋