Patch h, what didn't happen

Kaspersky Total Security 20 release notes, patch H for version 20.0.14.1085

The application will prompt you to reboot the computer after you install the patch. Computer reboot is required for successful installation, so the icon in the notification area will turn red and become green again after the reboot.”  did not happen🙄🤐🤔

⁉ How can “you install the patch”, as patches arrive invisibly, no colour change of Kaspersky icon & no Notification in the Notification centre🙄🤐🤔

Installing an update package

When an update package (patch) is received, Kaspersky Total Security installs it automatically” happened✅

To complete the installation of an update package, you must restart the computer

Restarted the computer NOT KNOWING an update package (patch) had been received🙄🤐🤔

Until the computer is restarted, the application icon in the notification area is red”❎  didn’t happen🙄🤐🤔

& the Kaspersky Total Security Notification Center window displays a prompt to restart the computer” ❎didn’t happen🙄🤐🤔

To avoid confusion here:

Everything that @FLOOD  has described actually takes place, just not immediately after installation. Kaspersky determines for each patch the time frame when the required restart is reported.

For Patch H it looks like this:

ApplyPeriod="168"
ApplyAction="restart_os"

The message comes 168 hours (7 days) after installation. Kaspersky assumes that the majority of users will reboot at least once within this time. This is not new, it has been handled this way for years.

@andrew75,

After the event, not as Kaspersky states.

The patch arrived, unannounced, in the morning I’d taken an image of existing patch g, bc, over the course of the last 2 months Kaspersky claimed the Kaspersky Red Icon and the Notification Centre Reboot Notification had been implemented effective patch g, and they have now documented it, H for version 20.0.14.1085 & Installing an update package.

In the course of the afternoon I rebooted the machine, not realising a patch was “lurking”, upon restarting, logging in & checking KTS, low & behold patch h had arrived. 

(imo) Patch update needs to be added🤔

Flood🐳

@FLOOD, the taskbar icon will turn red if you do not restart the computer within 7 days after downloading the patch.
The color change of the icon and the message in the notification center is intended for those who do not restart the computer for a long time.
These messages are intended to notify the user of the need to reboot.
Since you restarted the computer immediately after downloading the patch, the patch has already been installed. And in this case, the icon in the taskbar should not have turned red.

The patch will be downloaded and installed even if you selected "Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when they are available".
The setting in your screenshot determines whether the program automatically updates itself to the new version. For example, from the 19th to the 20th.

@andrew75,

That’s not the advice from Kaspersky Technical experts:

From: Kaspersky Lab Support, Sent: Friday, 27 December 2019 12:30

quote:

Our experts have just replied to us stating that the Kaspersky application will prompt to install a new patch after the product receives new modules. Please refer to the screenshots attached, as this scenario happen after product receives new modules. In this case, these modules are related to patch G. 

unquote

The Kaspersky experts & the documentation does not say: “The color change of the icon and the message in the notification center is intended for those who do not restart the computer for a long time.”

Regarding “Since you restarted the computer immediately after downloading the patch...”, 

That’s the whole point @andrew75, I didn’t download the patch, had I known a patch had been downloaded, I would have done several things before rebooting. 

All version & patch updates should be absolutely, plainly clear to the Kaspersky Customer, irrespective of how often a device is rebooted

Flood🐳

@FLOODSchulte wrote to you above how this should work in relation to patch H.

If the user does not restart the computer within 7 days after downloading the patch, the tray icon will change to red and the user will receive a message indicating that a restart is necessary.

What is not clear for the user?

@Schulte advice and your comments @andrew75 are not what Kaspersky Technical experts have advised, nor what is documented.

Regarding “what is not clear for the user?”

Invisible patches & ridiculous “rules", only show a Kaspersky Icon colour change & Notification in the Notification Centre if a device is not rebooted within x timeframe

Flood🐳

@FLOOD, Kaspersky Technical experts do not specify when exactly “application will prompt to install a new patch”.

They only write that this is happening “after the product receives new modules”.

@Schulte wrote that this does not happen immediately, but after a certain period, which is set for each patch.
And quite a long time working with Kaspersky products, convinces me that this is exactly what always happens.

• 3 months later...

@andrew75,

Re “Kaspersky Technical experts do not specify when exactly “application will prompt to install a new patch”. They only write that this is happening “after the product receives new modules”.

• Correct, and therein lies the problem, Kaspersky knows there’s a 168 hour period, they’ve set, if a computer is not rebooted after a patch silently arrives. 
  • Why 168 hours? Why not 1 or 3 or 8 or 10 hours - why 7 days - why wait?
  • The majority of Kaspersky users would like to know when a patch is available.
  • The majority of Kaspersky users would act on a patch notification if they knew.
  • Why silent patch arrival?
  • What about all the users who have technical requests outstanding, reliant on the “next” patch, which needs traces enabled before a patch is applied - are they expected to run traces 24x7x365, as has been suggested by “support”?
  • Other Kaspersky software clearly shows an alert/notification when a patch has arrived - why does Kaspersky not use a standardised approach? 

Maybe Kaspersky’s having a Santa Claus “identity” crisis🤔

1 On the first day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me:

"Shssh, it's a secret..."

2 On the second day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me:

"Shssh, shssh, don't tell, it's a still a secret..."

3 On the third day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me:

"Shssh, shssh, don't tell, it's a still a secret, wait and a see..."

4 On the fourth day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me

"Shssh, shssh, don't tell, it's a still a secret, wait and a see, gracious, let them wait, secrets are fun..."

5 On the fifth day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me:

"Shssh, shssh, don't tell, it's a still a secret, wait and a see, gracious, let them wait, secrets are fun, they'll reboot their machine sooner or later, maybe..."

6 On the sixth day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me:

"Shssh, shssh, don't tell, it's a still a secret, wait and a see, gracious, let them wait, secrets are fun, they'll reboot their machine sooner or later, maybe?... Maybe not?"

7 On the seventh day after a patch arrives, Kaspersky gave to me - a patch‼ , they couldn't wait the arbitrary 12 days, why? Who knows, Kaspersky does things to suit Kaspersky, not their customers. 

Re “This is not new, it has been handled this way for years”, if we all subscribed to that thinking we’d still be painting bison on cave walls.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello,

As I know the suggestion for the smart notifications regarding product patches exists - 4110473 (to notify users that the product received the patch). Thank you for the attention to this topic.

If customer reboot the PC every day, so the patch will be installed after the next PC boot.

The scenario is only applied for customers who do not reboot the PC: 

now  if customer does not reboot the PC for a week after the product received the patch, then the product shall notify regarding necessity of reboot for new modules intallation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Anton Mefodys,

Thank you for providing the reference #

• Re “If customer reboot the PC every day, so the patch will be installed after the next PC boot”, we understand, however, the issue is: a daily reboot may be a problem, for a variety of reasons. 
  • Re “The scenario is only applied for customers who do not reboot the PC”, we understand, however, the problem would not exist if Kaspersky “announced” the patch when it arrived. 
  • Re “ if customer does not reboot the PC for a week after the product received the patch, then the product shall notify regarding necessity of reboot for new modules installation”, we understand, however, the 7day/week wait period appears arbitrary, no-one has explained why it’s 7 days, if indeed there’s a logical reason. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳