Not receiving any notifications (nor sounds) for detected malicious objects

Go to solution Solved by Xzz123,

I'm using Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (version 22631.2506) with Kaspersky Total Security Premium (version 21.15.8.493).

Despite having enabled both notification sounds and on-screen notifications for all critical events in settings - I get nothing.

I downloaded a few malware samples to test, they were all detected, but the only way I would know is if I glanced at Kasperky's tray icon which turned red. But there was no sound nor any notification of a malicious object being present on my PC. For obvious reasons, I'd like these notifications.

I already tried checking if notifications for Kaspersky are not silenced, and they aren't. I tried going to Settings -> Notifications and enabling "Get notifications from other senders" - it was already enabled. Kaspersky is not in that list. "Do Not Disturb" mode is not enabled and neither is it set to auto enable - I never use it.

So far, I only get notifications if new devices connect to my network. How do I fix them? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Crylune

6 hours ago, Crylune said:
  1. Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (version 22631.2506) with Kaspersky Total Security Premium (version 21.15.8.493).

Despite having enabled both notification sounds and on-screen notifications for all critical events in settings - I get nothing.

Hello @Crylune

Welcome back!

READ: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ, by Danila T. 

& post back the correct *installed software* information please? 

• 2. Post back a full-screen screen-print, showing the notification options that have been configured please ->  *hide any private information - email address (for example)*

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
grammar

8 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

1. 💥There is no Kaspersky Total Security Premium (version 21.15.8.493) -> Reference: Kaspersky Total Security release notes, Latest update: September 12, 2023, (version 21.3.10.391k) -> so, which Kasperky software is *actually* installed? 

explorer_4R5QvX9x39.thumb.png.0c3b918a2852091bfb16942f8e8305f1.png

8 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

2. Post back a full-screen screen-print, showing the notification options that have been configured please ->  *hide any private information - email address (for example)*

It would clutter things if I posted a picture of all my changes.

I went into each category in the notification settings and enabled both "Save in local report" and "Notify on screen" for each entry under the "Critical" category.

Also, I found a bit of a workaround. Disabling "Perform recommended actions automatically" in "Settings -> Security Settings -> Exclusions and actions on object detection" now shows me notifications about malicious objects and what I want to do with them, so that's fixed I suppose.

But there's still no sounds, which I indeed enabled. Can't have an AV without the iconic sounds, you know.

Edited by Crylune
grammar

1 hour ago, Crylune said:

But there's still no sounds, which I indeed enabled

Hello @Crylune

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back the correct information!

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @Crylune

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back the correct information!

👉Run the tests from wicar.org & post back the results please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

All pages were detected accordingly, but no notifications.

4 minutes ago, Crylune said:

All pages were detected accordingly, but no notifications.

Hello @Crylune

You're most welcome!

Go to: Application settings

1. Run the Export - Save the current application settings to a file in CFG format.
  2. Run the Restore - Restore the application settings recommended by Kaspersky experts. When the settings are restored, the Optimal security level is set for all protection components.
  3. Do not run the *Import*& do not change any KPremium configuration settings -nor any Windows configuration
  4. Shutdown the computer using Shutdown, not Restart, poswer on by pressing the power button, login. 
  5. Run the tests from wicar.org & post back the results please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

What type of notification do you mean? W11 popup style notification on the right vertical panel?

In your W11, check this settings: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-customize-notification-settings-windows-11/

In Your KPremium, go to Settings -> Interface Settings -> Notifications Settings, here You can enable / disable on screen popup warnings.

Also disable those 3 settings if still enabled:

imagen.thumb.png.0baf1087db913e22c73050fb5e2600e3.png

But It's true that since W10, K. versions do not have notifications warnings settings neither in W10 nor in new W11, but I think it's by design. You can't enable sounds for K. even in W11 settings, no available specific sounds settings:

imagen.thumb.png.5c7109e8af01fcc4cd6b93f589f46fe3.png

https://support.kaspersky.com/help/Kaspersky/Win21.15/en-US/201575.htm

imagen.png.6d178804213c503f23f416d7d3245991.png

11 minutes ago, harlan4096 said:

What type of notification do you mean? W11 popup style notification on the right vertical panel?

In your W11, check this settings: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-customize-notification-settings-windows-11/

In Your KPremium, go to Settings -> Interface Settings -> Notifications Settings, here You can enable / disable on screen popup warnings.

Also disable those 3 settings if still enabled:

imagen.thumb.png.0baf1087db913e22c73050fb5e2600e3.png

But It's true that since W10, K. versions do not have notifications warnings settings neither in W10 nor in new W11, but I think it's by design. You can't enable sounds for K. even in W11 settings, no available specific sounds settings:

imagen.thumb.png.5c7109e8af01fcc4cd6b93f589f46fe3.png

https://support.kaspersky.com/help/Kaspersky/Win21.15/en-US/201575.htm

imagen.png.6d178804213c503f23f416d7d3245991.png

Ah, that's a shame about the sounds. They're really nostalgic to me, reminds me of my early days using Kaspersky.

As for the notifications, I did check all the relevant settings already. But, there seems to be a weird issue with mine. See here:

image.thumb.png.28928c20764f94596034d709398df4f5.png

Only these apps show up in this list. No other apps, and I have installed and used plenty that had notifications. For example, my UPS software always notifies me that the connection to my UPS is completed succesfully through a notification. Yet it doesn't appear in this list.

4 minutes ago, Crylune said:

Ah, that's a shame about the sounds. They're really nostalgic to me, reminds me of my early days using Kaspersky.

As for the notifications, I did check all the relevant settings already. But, there seems to be a weird issue with mine. See here:

image.thumb.png.28928c20764f94596034d709398df4f5.png

Only these apps show up in this list. No other apps, and I have installed and used plenty that had notifications. For example, my UPS software always notifies me that the connection to my UPS is completed succesfully through a notification. Yet it doesn't appear in this list.

Okay this is a problem. I checked another PC Kaspersky is installed on and it appears in this list.

37 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @Crylune

You're most welcome!

Go to: Application settings

1. Run the Export - Save the current application settings to a file in CFG format.
  2. Run the Restore - Restore the application settings recommended by Kaspersky experts. When the settings are restored, the Optimal security level is set for all protection components.
  3. Do not run the *Import*& do not change any KPremium configuration settings -nor any Windows configuration
  4. Shutdown the computer using Shutdown, not Restart, poswer on by pressing the power button, login. 
  5. Run the tests from wicar.org & post back the results please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

I've done what you asked, they're all still detected but I still get no notifications.

Alright I've come to the conclusion that this is yet another Microsoft™️ Windows™️ moment. Makes no sense, because I've recently clean installed both machines and there were no differences in the procedure, yet this one has notification issues while the other doesn't.

I'll just wait for the issue to magically fix itself - at least, that's what others with this problem are reporting. The most important push notifications I do get - for any malware that found itself on my system. As for websites, it's reported in the browser itself and the timeline, and that's enough.

If anyone's scouring the internet and looking for a solution, and stumbled upon this thread: the issue is with Windows. But if you do want to get malware notifications, you can, by disabling **"Perform recommended actions automatically"** in **"Settings -> Security Settings -> Exclusions and actions on object detection"**. It will ask you what you want to do with the file every time of coures, but you'll be aware of the infection happening, which is more important.

I would like to thank @Flood and Flood's wife and @harlan4096 for the help and their time. By the way harlan, your hardening guide is exceptional, I had no idea Kaspersky could do that. If I had known I wouldn't have bothered hardening Defender.

Cheers.

Edited by Crylune
implemented solution from an earlier post for better visibility

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, that’s no longer a solution as of today. More of a workaround.

For curiosity, I installed the Kaspersky Endpoint Security trial, didn’t touch any settings other than the notification settings. I simply enabled on-screen notifications for all critical events. I left “Perform recommended actions automatically” checked this time, to see if I get any notifications.

Lo and behold, unlike the Home products, I do get malware notifications from KES:

08hkFPG.png.343b3d11b1b9f2357be994c51d936aff.png

I do not get anything of the sort on the Home products, just the tray icon going red and then green again as the threat is removed.

No on-screen notifications work on Home products, unlike Endpoint, and so I’d like to verify with others that this is the case & get a link to file a bug report. Or even better, get in direct contact with an employee because this is no small bug.

Note I am not talking about Windows banner notifications. I’m talking about Kaspersky’s own on-screen notifications, that work on Endpoint products but not on Home ones.

Edited by Crylune

1 hour ago, Crylune said:
  1. Get a link to file a bug report. Or even better, get in direct contact with an employee because this is no small bug.

Hello @Crylune

Welcome back!

1. IF (you're) seeking support for (your) *Kaspersky Premium subscription* - the Kaspersky Customer Service are there to assist as the first point of contact -> on the support page: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Note: Kaspersky Trial software is not covered by Technical support. 

added resource

• Solution

Hello

Indeed KES do use K's own notification

but home product do not use K's own notification. It use windows.

Unless you run K under windows7....you will get traditional K notification.

Why you do not have K's notification under win11?

It is because somehow there is bug in installation process. so you cannot find K in here

b6b3974c1bde1da754954988557c05e2_imagen.thumb.png.5c7109e8af01fcc4cd6b93f589f46fe3.png.652cca6c1459fce61b3581a5d7617e23.png

so K cannot push its notification to windows.

Re-install K should fix. No need a re-install of windows.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Xzz123 said:

Hello

Indeed KES do use K's own notification

but home product do not use K's own notification. It use windows.

Unless you run K under windows7....you will get traditional K notification.

Why you do not have K's notification under win11?

It is because somehow there is bug in installation process. so you cannot find K in here

b6b3974c1bde1da754954988557c05e2_imagen.thumb.png.5c7109e8af01fcc4cd6b93f589f46fe3.png.652cca6c1459fce61b3581a5d7617e23.png

so K cannot push its notification to windows.

Re-install K should fix. No need a re-install of windows.

You serious? It only uses banner notifications? Man, that sucks. KES notifications are much better.

Banner notifications working are a 50/50 for me. Sometimes when I install Kaspersky it shows up in that list of apps, sometimes it doesn’t. Guess I’ll have to re-install again.

I can’t fathom why they would just use Windows notifications for this instead of their own, much better ones. But oh well. Thanks for letting me know, at least I don’t have to spend days with support going nowhere. I wonder why they didn’t just tell me this instead of jumping to “let’s do diagnostics!”

Edited by Crylune