Whats up with the AV database update schedule

Go to solution Solved by Yoji,

Win 10, fully updated.. Kaspersky premium  21.16.6.467
So, whats up with the automatic update schedule for the antivirus database update?  My PC is on about 16 hours a day and is always connected to the internet
yet recently (over that last month or so... and during this and previous version of kaspersky premium) I have had alerts from windows security (and Kaspersky itself) that my databases are out of date....  and I have noticed, that even in my PM (when PC been on about 6 hours) the database date will be from previous day and if I update manually, I get a "todays date" update.
So why does Kaspersky not update more frequently.. so I dont get any warning from windows security or itself (saying "databases out of date").... just get on and do the update.?
Anyone else noticed this? 

@YojiWelcome back

I've never had this problem and at least for me, Kaspersky updates its database normally

Try restoring Kaspersky settings to default

⚙️ Restore default settings ↓

Spoiler
  • Open the Kaspersky graphical interface
  • Click on the gear symbol (configuration) in the lower left-hand side of the window
  • Click → Manage settings
  • Click → Restore
  • Click → Next
  • Confirm the operation (if necessary, enter the Kaspersky unlock password)
  • Click → Done
  • Restart your device (important)

Additionally, you can also try changing the update frequency and check if it updates normally

Spoiler
  • Open Kaspersky's graphical interface
  • On the left-hand side of the window, click → Security
  • Under Antivirus database update, click on the gear (setting)
  • Click → Database update schedule
  • In the Run update option, click on the list and choose how often you want Kaspersky to update itself
  • Click → Ok
  • Click → Save
  • Like 2

Default is kaspersky updating databases every 2 hours which is ok. And not needed edit this.
Check update logs what is inside if is there problem or what.

I noticed when i am on steam and playing for example something longer, and exit game after 3 hours for example and then databases not updating (must manually update). This is only on steam games. On non steam games kaspersky running database update automatically after i close game.

• Like 2

My settings for update are (and always have been)  "automatic"

Good point... here are logs/reports on DB update.. as you can see... it updated this morning... at about the time I turned on my computer.. it was updated manually as I got the warning from windows security that DB's were out of date.. and opening Kaspersky.. also confirmed.
You can also see, that the update previous to that.. was from the 8th.... which means that for the whole time my PC was on on the 9th. (about 14 hours)... it did not make any attempt to update.... which I guess is why as soon as I started machine on 10th (having been off for about 8 hours)... it tagged as out of date. (I dont know how old they have to be till it flags.. I guess over 24 hours?) .. 

My PC is a desktop, no settings to sleep etc when its on.. its on all day.... not a Laptop.

Capture.JPG

Thanks.. I have not messed with the default settings.. which were per this screen shot... 
I have now updated per your screen shot... but would say.
1. Not a laptop.. so no battery mode
2. Not playing games for vast majority of time.. BUT... Steam may be running majority of time (since Steam tries to get users to run at machine startup... Kaspersky should not take that as running a game... should only pause when actually running a game)
3. Not in "do not disturb mode" or on calls/video calls.. 

I would also say.. I have a 10 license.. so kaspersky is on 10 machines.. I really dont want to have to fiddle on 10 machines (many which are not local to me) to fix configurations... the updates should work out the box and not alert/worry other users who are not as comfortable with computers as I am.

Capture.JPG

• Solution

OK, thanks all... think we have cracked it.
I think the issue was that kaspersky confuses Steam running as "you are playing a game" and so stops the normal update process.
I never have steam staring with my PC, but I have been playing a game that means I dip into the game every 2 hours.. so I have tended to leave steam running.
I have changed it so that "game mode" is not selected as an option (and ensured steam is exited) and sure enough... recently, kaspersky has been doing the update process every 2 hours.

So Kaspersky should fix it.. such that game mode is only effective when you are genuinely playing a game.. 
But at least we seem to have a workaround. I would like to have "game mode" active for when I am genuinely playing a game... since now.. it might do an update when I am really playing a game (prob not a real issue.. my PC has enough grunt that it probably wont matter)..but for now.. having it disabled is the better option.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

🙂 That's good.. Kaspersky should fix this problem with steam. 

Can you please report it? Contact Tech Support and tell them about this problem. 

EDIT : @Yoji this is not a solution but okay.. This problem is in process with Tech Support right now.

Edited by nexon
Quick update
  • Like 1