VPN stops working, and then fails to reinstall

I once had Kaspersky VPN 4.0 installed in my computer. One day it tells me “there’s no network” even though my internet is fine. I asked customer service and they recommend that I reinstall the program. I’ve used Kavremover, removed the old program, and cleaned out all the remnant folders.

However, when I try to reinstall the VPN, I keep getting “kltap driver fails to install” and the installation is aborted. Anyone else ever encountered this issue? If it helps, I have Malwarebytes installed, but Customer Service told me Malwarebytes should not affect the VPN program. 

The old VPN also installed just fine even with Malwarebytes installed, so was there a new update that causes incompatibility? 

Hi @d_a_renoir , 

Try the following:

1. Run Command Prompt as administrator (Win+s → type ‘cmd’ → click to run Command Prompt as administrator) and execute the following commands:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
icacls %ProgramData% /T /Q /C /reset
2. Delete C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files and C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\KSDE5.2
3. Download kavremvr.exe here: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/uninstall/1464#block2

4.Copy kavremvr.exe to desktop, run Command Prompt and execute:
cd C:\users\%username%\desktop
Hit "Enter"
kavremvr.exe --nodetect
Hit "Enter"
Click "Yes" -> "Accept"
Choose ...KSeC
Write code and press "Remove"
5. Reboot PC and try to install again

Hello, @d_a_renoir 

I think I recommend you to see this support article: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/error/installation/14829. Please uninstall Malwarebytes first, and reboot. then reinstall Kaspersky VPN.

mklif.sys

klhk.sys_x64

1. Make sure no incompatible applications are installed on your computer. If any of such applications are installed, uninstall them. See this article for instructions.
  2. Use the kavremover tool to remove the remaining files of Kaspersky applications earlier installed on your computer. See this article for instructions.

Regards.

Hello @d_a_renoir

Thank you for posting back!

1. Was Windows in Safe mode, when KAVREMOVER was run? 
  2. Is there any Check Point Software installed on the computer? 
  3. As Kaspersky Technical Support already advised, Kaspersky VPN & MBAM have no competing resources & should co-exist without problems, however, if the goal is to get the VPN installed, as a temporary measure, remove MBAM, when the uninstall is complete, shutdown the computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login. 
  4. Check for any old KVPN folders, files, objects, if necessary rerun KAVREMOVER, make sure this is done with Windows in Safe mode.  
  5. Download a new KVPN installer
  6. Install KVPN, follow: How to install Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection.

Please let us know the outcome?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋