Full URL instead of IP for interactive Firewall popup

Go to solution Solved by Timur Born,

Hello.

Is it possible to have KIS display the URL of a destination instead of just the IP when the interactive Firewall popup is used (not automated)?

For example, one of my applications connects to api.ipify.org at start. But KIS only displays the IP and a reverse DNS lookup only tells me IP.static.webnx.com and WHOIS only tells me about an Amazon AWS service. So KIS does not seem to give me enough information to know where that connection is really going?!

I tested a competing product which displays URLs instead of just IP numbers when the same connection is established by the same application. So the application (unsurprisingly) uses URLs to establish the connection, thus Kaspersky should be able to display the URL instead of the non-descriptive IP number. Is there any option to switch that?

• Solution

I looked through various settings, but there does not seem to be a way for KIS to resolve IP numbers to human readable names, even when the original application used a URL and corresponding DNS query. The same seems to be true for the network monitor.

So instead of displaying “Application X tried an outgoing TCP connection to api.ipyfy.org” KIS only displays the nondescript 50.19.104.22.

And since this IP number tells us nothing about the destination we users cannot make informed decisions. Too bad, especially since other products handle this more properly.

Yes, a product starting with E offers it for both its firewall popups and for network monitoring (can be enabled/disabled). With KIS I need to use an extra network/DNS monitoring app to see where my applications try to connect to, because pure IP numbers don’t tell me anything.

Yes, a product starting with E offers it for both its firewall popups and for network monitoring (can be enabled/disabled). With KIS I need to use an extra network/DNS monitoring app to see where my applications try to connect to, because pure IP numbers don’t tell me anything.

Hello,

Well, you can post a ticket to KL via this. I will also post this requirement to them.

Regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang

Kaspersky has removed logging incidents & incident management, via MyKaspersky.

Now the “contact support” options are:

1. Online Chat
  2. Email
  3. Phone
  4. Remote support

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @Wesly.Zhang

Kaspersky has removed logging incidents via MyKaspersky.

Now the “contact support” options are:

1. Phone
  2. Online Chat
  3. Email
  4. Remote support

Reference: My Kaspersky , the support link no longer takes me to the previous configuration where I could even consult my previous requests.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hi @Flood and Flood's wife 

Thanks for inform me. =.=

Regards.

@Wesly.ZhangThank you.

Being just provided with pure IP number by the KIS Firewall is one limitation that makes me think twice about using KIS. The E product is more useful in this regard, plus it lists destination ports in its Firewall rules list view (no need to click a rule just to see those).

PS: Still comparing firewall CPU load and performance of both.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows Firewall filters incoming traffic to help block unwanted network traffic. Optionally, Windows Firewall can also filter outgoing traffic to help limit the risk of malware. Although Windows Firewall’s default settings will work well with components built into Windows, they might prevent other applications from functioning correctly. Windows Firewall’s default settings can also be significantly improved to provide even stronger protection by requiring authorization or limiting the scope of allowed connections. See More