Fail to update after waking up from sleep mode.

Sean

Each time when my laptop woke up from the sleep mode. Kaspersky showed "fail to update". Kaspersky keeps showing this icon forever unless being restarted, as following. When I clicked on the Database Update button, it does not showing updates. As you can see the picture below, I had not updated since 14 hours ago. When I clicked on "Run update", I won't update. I didn't see the progress bar and percentage. When I return back to the home page/panel, It didn't show updating. I first thought that the update feature/module was broken. However, after I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Kaspersky application, the issue is still existing. Especially, when my laptop is awaken from the Sleep mode with the charging cable plugged in, the application shows this issue. The issue will disappear when the system is restarted. System info: Windows 10 pro 10.0.17763 Build 17763 Surface book 2 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2112 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 16GB

Hello Sean, Welcome! How often is the device fully shutdown as opposed to "power naps - sleeps"? Please let us know? Thanks!
I don't shut down very often. It only happens when it runs out of battery. I normally close the lid (sleep) or restart system when necessary. I don't think the issue appears because I don't do shutdown on the system. When the windows is on, I have never encountered the issue. It only happens every time when my laptop is awaken from sleep (Especially from sleeping over night). I feels that there is a compatibility issue with Surface book 2. I have not encountered the same issue with my another laptops (ThinkPad) which I have used for 3 years (I don't shut it down very often either).

Hello Sean, Can you give further info about: "when the windows is on"? "compatibility issue with Surface book 2" . please? Many thanks
When I restart my laptop, I keep my laptop running (keeps waking, not sleeping) for all day, the application never fails to update either automatically or manually. However, after my laptops slept overnight, when I awoke my laptop in the morning, I found the icon below showing up and running forever, and I can't manually update it either until I restart. I says "compatibility issue with Surface book 2" because the issue (failed to update) only appears in my Surface book 2, but It has never happened in my ThinkPad.

Hello Sean, Thanks for posting back & the info.
  1. KTS version?
  2. When did the issue start?
  3. Is KTS logging any "update" errors in "Reports"?
To diagnose you could:
  1. turn on traces,
  2. reboot,
  3. replicate the issue
  4. save traces.
  1. repeat 1 thru to 4 a number of times to verify or capture any discrepancies.
Potentailly, if run for hours, the traces may be sizeable. Manage the data capture against the event/s and the size of any diagnostic data that requires uploading. As the issue fits the "little bit variable/obscure" category: traces, GSI & Windows logs would be a basic requirement to effectively troubleshoot. https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7 When the GSI .zip folder and all other data is ready upload the full .zip folder(s) to cloud storage of your choice, post back the link. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I believe I am on the same boat as the owner of this thread. My machine is a Surface Laptop 2, i7/16/512, and had update issues while using "Auto" mode for database. This issue persisted through KIS 2018 and 2019, which I also suspect other Kaspersky products with similar update methods are vulnerably same. kmscom I have uploaded my update log in regards to your instructions. FLOOD From my observation since October 2018, I believe it is the combination between the Sleep Mode surface devices use, and the Marvell AVASTAR wifi chipset is causing incompatible issues with KIS database updates. Most of the updates failed due to an failure in connection, or DNS lookups. The update most likely fails and stalls the update manager when the database update manager tries to update while the laptop is in a shallow sleep, which GUI will glitch out eventually, forcing the user to restart in order to perform a database update.

Welcome. Network error, error resolving network name. There are two courses of action. One is to post your GetSystemInfo report here, so forum users can help, and the other is to Contact Tech Support. 1. Please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632 Please upload the GetSystemInfo zip folder that is inside the larger GSI zip to the GSI parser site http://www.getsysteminfo.com/ and post the url to the parsed report here, in your next post. 2. Please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/ Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request: a. Description of the issue. b. Screenshot, as needed. c. GSI

Wesly.Zhang I will be reporting the observations I made recently to the case, though will it be possible to provide me the documentation on how to export the trace files? richbuff kmscom FLOOD Append: (What I told Wesly, translated back from Chinese, which I hope other Kaspersky customers using Surface devices encountering same situation can get understand the reason and provide a temporary fix) I personally use KIS which uses the same database update techniques KTS uses, hence us both Surface users run into similar situations. Recently I made some tests, where usually windows uses S3 sleep state, BUT surface products use S0 hybrid "Connected Standby" for sleep, where when the laptop's lids are closed and entered "Connected Standby", the operating system still runs in the background in a low power state, and the "Connected Standby" by default will allow the OS and its applications to access the network. Sean (This may be an temporary fix for you too) Through editing the regestry of 「HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9」 I am now able to access options in the power plan to choose "When entered connected standby, allow network access" and make both situations on AC power or Battery power, to "Disconnect", which when the laptop's lids shut and enter "Connected Standby", the OS and its application will not be able to access the network. After doing so, the symptoms that occured in this thread will NO LONGER occur. Hence I suspect when KTS/KIS encounters the computer entering "Connected Standby", while during long periods of sleep (perhaps throughout the night), the database update module is activated and for some reason the update process will take a long time (generally over 2 hours from observation since 2018 Oct), which I feel is the major reason the long update time stalls the update module and GUI afterwards.

Wesly.Zhang I will be reporting the observations I made recently to the case, though will it be possible to provide me the documentation on how to export the trace files?
Hello, I have tell you the way to collect traces for this issue via PM. If you have other question, you can reply my PM. The way to collect for this issue:
  1. Open KL product main GUI.
  2. Select Support link at the lower left corner.
  3. Select Support Tool in the new opened Support window.
  4. Make sure the trace level is recommend and press Enable button.
  5. Please reproduce the issue. Put your laptop into hibernation mode an hour or more.If you think the time is almost up, please wake up the laptop to see if the product appears as expected failure.
  6. If the failure reproduce successfully, Please return Step 4 and Press Disable button to stop traces collection.
  7. Press Send report to technical support link
  8. In the new opened send report window, Please check operation system information and Collect and analyze Data, and then Press Save report button.
  9. Create a name for it, such as "traces" and save to DESKTOP.
  10. When the progress bar is finished and the program prompts you OK, please submit this file to technical support.
Regards.

• 2 years later...