About the anti phishing feature on IOS

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hi, I decided to get Kaspersky for the anti phishing feature but it requires the use of a VPN configuration on my phone. My question is, does this VPN configuration change my location/IP in any way. I didn’t want to use the VPN in the first place but it looks like the only way for the anti phishing to turn is by having the VPN enabled on my phone, which I don’t want. 

34 minutes ago, FriedPK said:
  1. Does this VPN configuration change my location/IP in any way?
  2. The only way for the anti-phishing to turn is on is by having the VPN enabled on my phone. 

Hello @FriedPK

Welcome!

1. No, the purpose of the VPN is to "hide" the source IP, not change it. Kaspersky's VPN encrypts all data sent & received by the source IP/ device, then passes it thru multiple networks until it reaches the requested destination, see: About Kaspersky VPN
  2. Correct, the Kaspersky Anti-Phishing feature uses VPN technology. That's why, when Anti-Phishing is turned on, it's necessary to allow the app to set up a VPN configuration. If the VPN is turned OFF in the device settings, Anti-Phishing will stop working, see: Turning on Anti-Phishing protection

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @FriedPK

Welcome!

1. No, the purpose of the VPN is to "hide" the source IP, not change it. Kaspersky's VPN encrypts all data sent & received by the source IP/ device, then passes it thru multiple networks until it reaches the requested destination, see: About Kaspersky VPN
  2. Correct, the Kaspersky Anti-Phishing feature uses VPN technology. That's why, when Anti-Phishing is turned on, it's necessary to allow the app to set up a VPN configuration. If the VPN is turned OFF in the device settings, Anti-Phishing will stop working, see: Turning on Anti-Phishing protection

Thank you?
Flood?+?

So when I turn on anti phishing, does the VPN turn on too? As in hiding my IP and such. I didn’t want it to hide my IP so that’s why I turned it off.

1 hour ago, FriedPK said:
  1. So when I turn on anti phishing, does the VPN turn on too?
  2. As in hiding my IP and such. I didn’t want it to hide my IP so that’s why I turned it off.

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back!

1. Yes, Anti-phishing will not work unless the Kaspersky VPN has been enabled in the iOS device Settings. 
  2. One purpose of Kaspersky's VPN is to hide an encrypted source ip address, by passing it thru many different nodes, making it harder to track/find - think along the lines of a "needle in a haystack". IF the Kaspersky VPN has not been enabled, as per the documentation, or, if (you) turn off Kaspersky's VPN in the device settings, Anti-Phishing will stop working

Thank you?
Flood?+?

?

15 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back!

1. Yes, Anti-phishing will not work unless the Kaspersky VPN has been enabled in the iOS device Settings. 
  2. One purpose of Kaspersky's VPN is to hide an encrypted source ip address, by passing it thru many different nodes, making it harder to track/find - think along the lines of a "needle in a haystack". IF the Kaspersky VPN has not been enabled, as per the documentation, or, if (you) turn off Kaspersky's VPN in the device settings, Anti-Phishing will stop working

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Got one more question. On the app it says “VPN is used on 1/1 devices” does that mean the VPN is still on or does that mean it’s been used by one device before? I already removed the VPN but it still says that

52 minutes ago, FriedPK said:

Got one more question. On the app it says “VPN is used on 1/1 devices” does that mean the VPN is still on or does that mean it’s been used by one device before? I already removed the VPN but it still says that

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back & the additional question!

1. Do you mean, since you've installed the Kaspersky AV software, you've uninstalled the Kaspersky VPN component? IF "yes", has the iOS been powered OFF & ON? 
  2. Post an image of the “VPN is used on 1/1 devices” please, we need to see what you see? 
  3. In (your) MyKaspersky account, does it show any Kaspersky VPN application associated with the iOS device? 
  4. Kaspersky Standard for iOS, comes with Kaspersky VPN incorporated into the AV, we're not sure how you could have removed it?, did you have Kaspersky's VPN installed as stand-alone software installed before installing Kaspersky Standard?

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Added a question

8 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back & the additional question!

1. Do you mean, since you've installed the Kaspersky AV software, you've uninstalled the Kaspersky VPN component? IF "yes", has the iOS been powered OFF & ON? 
  2. Post an image of the “VPN is used on 1/1 devices” please, we need to see what you see? 
  3. In (your) MyKaspersky account, does it show any Kaspersky VPN application associated with the iOS device? 
  4. Kaspersky Standard for iOS, comes with Kaspersky VPN incorporated into the AV, we're not sure how you could have removed it?, did you have Kaspersky's VPN installed as stand-alone software installed before installing Kaspersky Standard?

Thank you?

Flood?+?

1. I installed the app on my phone, turned anti phishing, it told me to add a VPN profile to my phone so I did. Then I realized I did not want a VPN, so I went to the IOS settings and removed the VPN profile. However I did not power off and power on the iPhone afterward using the hold power button(unless you mean literally just pressing the power button off and on)

2. Screenshot posted below

3. Yes it says that I have a VPN associated with the account but I am not using it at all, as again I uninstalled the VPN already.

4. I removed the VPN profile from my phone settings, but the app is still on my phone, and I’m not using it for any purpose right now.

50A7BEF0-C022-4928-9900-665130761495.jpeg

8 minutes ago, FriedPK said:

1. I installed the app on my phone, turned anti phishing, it told me to add a VPN profile to my phone, so I did. Then I realized I did not want a VPN, so I went to the IOS settings and removed the VPN profile. However, I did not power off and power on the iPhone afterward using the hold power button (unless you mean literally just pressing the power button off and on).

3. Yes it says that I have a VPN associated with the account, but I am not using it at all, as again I uninstalled the VPN already.

4. I removed the VPN profile from my phone settings, but the app is still on my phone, and I’m not using it for any purpose right now.

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back, the information & the image!

1. So, the VPN profile has been removed, the VPN software is still installed; so now there's no active VPN icon, is that correct? 
  • Moving forward, it's possible there 'may be' alerts to enable the VPN, if that happens, and IF there's no option to Declinelog a case with Kaspersky supporton the support page select either Chat or Email, then select Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history; Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you. 
  • Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

3 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back, the information & the image!

1. So, the VPN profile has been removed, the VPN software is still installed; so now there's no active VPN icon, is that correct? 
  • Moving forward, it's possible there 'may be' alerts to enable the VPN, if that happens, and IF there's no option to Declinelog a case with Kaspersky supporton the support page select either Chat or Email, then select Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history; Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you. 
  • Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

1. Yup, after I turned removed the VPN profile, there was no longer any active VPN icon on my phone saying that it was active, and I checked multiple times too. 
2. I’m planning to delete the app soon, so I don’t think I have to worry about that 

• Thanks 1

• Solution
3 minutes ago, FriedPK said:

1. Yup, after I turned removed the VPN profile, there was no longer any active VPN icon on my phone saying that it was active, and I checked multiple times too. 
2. I’m planning to delete the app soon, so I don’t think I have to worry about that 

Hello @FriedPK

Thank you for posting back, the information!

Excellent, as long as issue is resolved and doesn't cause you any further problems, it's all good. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

@FriedPK Welcome.

From Kaspersky Technical Support :

When anti-phishing is turned on, you can see VPN icon, it looks like component is using VPN, but it is not. In fact, we only use VPN technology to proxy DNS requests, and we don't use VPN tunnel, while customers' IP does not change, traffic does not encrypt.”

Please see this Topic , also please check your issue with “What’s My IP”

• The topic was locked