KRD didn't like me attempting to run a version from 2016 understandably, so downloaded what appears to be v18 yesterday (3.16.24) and created a bootable CD. Loaded without error and told me to update. Setup wireless. Clicked "try again" and off to the "races." Or so I thought. Visually and operationally this HP Pavilion g6-1d60us notebook is very sick. See pic below. However, it came back with a  clean "bill of health" from KRD... and I set it to check all partitions on the drive.

HP is running Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit (ver 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1).

As the pic shows, nearly everything comes up as a .PDF... and tries to open as a .PDF. This doesn't work too well!

Has anyone seen this previously. Any thoughts. Attempted to ask Google, but it didn't understand the question.

Oh yes, I'm told this unit rarely, if ever was connected to the Internet as it was used primarily to run Ridgid SeaSnake sewer cameras. Also, the Google Chrome was installed just a couple of day ago via download to thumb drive using another system. It did function... until shut down. Only way to start was to reinstall... which again, good 'till it was closed.

Thanks in advance. Any questions I will try to address as best I can.

20240316_004122as.thumb.jpg.4909f3e4f4678b740b84578f4ab072f3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestion however, downloaded BETA. Setup media to boot. Everything came up properly. Setup Internet access. Program indicated it hooked into my router but, BETA failed to find the Kaspersky website resulting in it's inability to load current definitions. Ran with the BETA definitions. Found one "non virus" virus somewhere on the HDD. Not really knowing what to do... copied to Quarantine. Other than that... like V 18, clean bill of health with all the same ills. Guess the only thing to do is rebuild from the factory image located in the hidden partition and hope for the best. 

I do appreciate your time and advice. 

image.jpeg