KAV - UltraAV software- No notification, Automatically Installs, and Can't Remove it!!

viper69

This morning I turned on my PC. Never had an issue with KAV. I know US gov't cancelled KAV- not happy.

Well this unknown company and its software UltraAv automatically installed on my computer. I WAS NEVER ASKED NOR NOTIFIED THAT THIS INSTALLATION WOULD HAPPEN.

Also, I CANNOT UNINSTALL IT! I used Windows 11 Uninstall, everything was supposed to be removed. Well I restarted the computer and found the UltraAv had reinstalled itself.

I DO NOT WANT THIS SOFTWARE!

How can this removed PERMANENTLY?

44 minutes ago, viper69 said:

This morning I turned on my PC. Never had an issue with KAV. I know US gov't cancelled KAV- not happy.

Well this unknown company and its software UltraAv automatically installed on my computer. I WAS NEVER ASKED NOR NOTIFIED THAT THIS INSTALLATION WOULD HAPPEN.

Also, I CANNOT UNINSTALL IT! I used Windows 11 Uninstall, everything was supposed to be removed. Well I restarted the computer and found the UltraAv had reinstalled itself.

I DO NOT WANT THIS SOFTWARE!

How can this removed PERMANENTLY?

Hello @viper69

Welcome!

Unfortunately we don't have any guidelines for UltraAV, nor the total force silent migration, but, having a quick look at the UltraAV website they have: How to uninstall Ultra Antivirus on Windows 11 -> we have *no idea* if that will remove the software permanently - all we can suggest is to please follow it & if there's any issues please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service  - https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts , they have access to (your) subscription & private information, for privacy reasons, the Kaspersky Community doesn't  -> on the support page, select either Email or Chat, then fill in the template as shown - *select (your) Kaspersky software (1) from the drop-down list*; (there's no templates available to address UltraAV issues); please include a *detailed history*: 

• *Also - IF requesting Chat request the operator email (you)  a copy of the chat transcript *before* ending the chat - otherwise (you'll) have no record of the chat*
  • *IF they tell (you) to contact UltraAV, please do that as well, again, unfortunately we don't have any guidelines for their support system but the support link is:  https://support.ultrasecureav.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

image.thumb.png.16cda61699a994efeb3f8f9408c3bbfa.png

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Changed template

Thank you for the quick reply. I work with customers. This is a bad handoff 100% that KAV doesn't know what to do.

As the software is continuing to re-install on its own, despite deleting the files out of the UAV folder and Uninstall, how is it installing over and over? Are they coming through my connect with KAV in a sense? This is extremely suspicious, and not secure.

Check here for others with the same issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/antivirus/

Edited by viper69
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, viper69 said:

Thank you for the quick reply. I work with customers.

1. This is a bad handoff 100% that KAV doesn't know what to do.
  2. As the software is continuing to re-install on its own, despite deleting the files out of the UAV folder and Uninstall, how is it install? Are they coming through my connect with KAV in a sense?

This is extremely suspicious, and not secure.

Hello @viper69

Thank you for posting back!

1. We agree. 
  2. We're so sorry, we have no idea, we're not in the US, sadly none of the advice from Kaspersky: Guide on Kaspersky software availability in the United States & or UltraAV addresses (your) concerns -> we have family there who are Kaspersky subscribers so anticipate (based on what's being posted in the Forum today) that they'll be screaming at us fairly shortly; all we can recommend is for all impacted subscribers to log every issue with Kaspersky Customer Service.  

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

added 1.

19 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @viper69

Thank you for posting back!

1. We agree. 
  2. We're so sorry, we have no idea, we're not in the US, sadly none of the advice from Kaspersky: Guide on Kaspersky software availability in the United States & or UltraAV addresses (your) concerns -> we have family there who are Kaspersky subscribers so anticipate (based on what's being posted in the Forum today) that they'll be screaming at us fairly shortly; all we can recommend is for all impacted subscribers to log every issue with Kaspersky Customer Service.  

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

I understand. I read on some posts in Reddit that people were not able to remove the UAV at all. This is quite scary.

I used RevoInstaller to remove it (I haven't restarted), and right when RevoInstaller came to the UAV Program folder I believe, Malewarebytes popped up a warning, see below. It seems somehow the UAV software detects an attempt to be removed, and then try to initiate a reinstall perhaps? I cannot say for sure, but Revo software triggered to do something. I quarantined the item before proceeding.

This is very much what viruses and malware do!

image.thumb.png.0951550219a49826d9ebbc6c6bf8930c.png

Edited by viper69
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, viper69 said:

I understand. I read on some posts in Reddit that people were not able to remove the UAV at all. This is quite scary.

I used RevoInstaller to remove it (I haven't restarted), and right when RevoInstaller came to the UAV Program folder I believe, Malevwarebytes popped up a warning, see below. It seems somehow the UAV software detects an attempt to be removed, and then try to initiate a reinstall perhaps? I cannot say for sure, but Revo software triggered to do something. I quarantined the item before proceeding.

This is very much what viruses and malware do!

Hello @viper69

Thank you for posting back & the information!

(For our understanding)  Malwarebytes *is* installed & was installed before UltraAV & was also running alongside Kaspersky but not in real-time - are all those correct please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

45 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @viper69

(For our understanding)  Malwarebytes *is* installed & was installed before UltraAV & was also running alongside Kaspersky but not in real-time - are all those correct please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Hi there! Sorry, it's been hectic with this UAV.

Malewarebytes has been installed for years, always used in real-time, so yes before UAV. Yes, it runs in the background, meaning it is always active, just like KAV.

KAV and Malewarebytes have never had an issue with each other to be more clear when both are running together in the background. It's been a very good combination since the 1990s!

I restarted my computer, and while UAV does NOT appear in Windows Uninstall anymore (good), and it does NOT appear in RevoUninstaller either, the UltraAV folder remains on my drive, 700megs of files.

I used malewarebytes to scan the computer for any UAV files which were not deleted perhaps by Revouinstaller. and the entire UAV folder, over 1,000 files, is there. I put all the items in quarantine because I am concerned if I take the files out of quarantine maybe the UAV software gets installed again. It's just a guess.

I don't know if keeping the files in Malewarebytes quarantine is preventing them from being deleted from Windows. I think there is another issue that is Windows related. I get this error when I right click on the UAV folder to delete it.

"you'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder"

BUT, I'm logged in as the Admin. It's my personal computer, I'm not on network or domain. Only connected to the internet.

I'm stuck at this point. I tried a series of steps to correct the folder delete issue in Windows, but it didn't work.

Edited by viper69
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, viper69 said:

Hi there! Sorry, it's been hectic with this UAV.

Malwarebytes has been installed for years, always used in real-time, so yes before UAV. Yes, it runs in the background, meaning it is always active, just like KAV.

KAV and Malwarebytes have never had an issue with each other to be more clear when both are running together in the background. It's been a very good combination since the 1990s!

I restarted my computer, and while UAV does NOT appear in Windows Uninstall anymore (good), and it does NOT appear in RevoUninstaller either, the UltraAV folder remains on my drive, 700megs of files.

I used Malwarebytes to scan the computer for any UAV files which were not deleted perhaps by RevoUninstaller. and the entire UAV folder, over 1,000 files, is there. I put all the items in quarantine because I am concerned if I take the files out of quarantine maybe the UAV software gets installed again. It's just a guess.

I don't know if keeping the files in Malwarebytes quarantine is preventing them from being deleted from Windows. I think there is another issue that is Windows related. I get this error when I right click on the UAV folder to delete it.

"you'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder"

BUT, I'm logged in as the Admin. It's my personal computer, I'm not on network or domain. Only connected to the internet.

I'm stuck at this point. I tried a series of steps to correct the folder delete issue in Windows, but it didn't work.

Hello @viper69

No apology, we totally understand!

Yes, IF MB has the files quarantined the entire process will not have completed cleanly. 

To delete the files/folder - run the computer in Safe Mode, read: How to start a Windows PC in Safe Mode

Post back the outcome please - when (you) have time? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

spelling

Hello,

As you may know, the US authorities have restricted the sales and distribution of Kaspersky products in the US, but we remain committed to providing you with the utmost cybersecurity. And as we’re forced to limit our cybersecurity products in functionality, we give you an opportunity to get a replacement security solution by our trusted partner — UltraAV.
UltraAV will be activated under your existing subscription and login information, license duration and device coverage are carried over, and there is no price increase. There’s no effort needed from your side, and your Windows apps will update automatically – only very old Windows app versions, Android, Mac and iOS apps require manual update, which we additionally inform you about in corresponding in-app communications.

For any further information our colleagues in UltraAV Support Team will be happy to assist you, please feel free to reach out to them https://support.ultrasecureav.com/hc/en-us

• Like 3

Listen, Kaspersky employees, I need to remove this Ultra AV thing, no one notified me and its addresses look very suspicious- see below.

I want it out of my devices and I want a refund. Tell me exactly what I need to do to get out of this really terrible handoff.

I was like so many stunned when Ultra AV downloaded onto my computer. Kaspersky didn't send an email ahead of time.

Within minutes of the download being completed, I deleted Ultra without a problem.

This whole thing is a catastrophe. Kaspersky's communications skills failed once more. Not telling customers about updates ending on September 29, not informing customers about Ultra, not giving customers the option not to download this shit of theirs- yes its Kaspersky under a new name. Let's stop pretending it isn't- software that has no customer support and can be difficult to remove from your pc,

Last night I removed Kaspersky from my machine.

Guess what- I received an email this morning from Kaspersky announcing Ultra.

You send the email first then download onto people's computers.

What a bunch of @#$%! idiots this company is.

• Like 2

I haven't attempted to remove K yet, but I've been trying to cancel my auto renewal subscription.

I'm getting nowhere fast.  I've tried their Chat, Email and Phone.  No phone number, no email form. Just click boxes.

So far, UltraAv doesn't seem to be installed.

I don't want to try uninstalling K until I can get the auto renewal cancelled. 

Any suggestions.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bill J in Florida said:

No you didn't until you first downloaded  the software onto my PC.

Maybe you missed it Bill.  I got a notice on Sept. 5th.  Also, this was a US government decision to no longer allow Kaspersky to offer it's services to US customers because of fear that the Russian government could possibly force them to manipulate US customer information.

6 hours ago, Milele890 said:

Listen, Kaspersky employees, I need to remove this Ultra AV thing, no one notified me and its addresses look very suspicious- see below.

I want it out of my devices and I want a refund. Tell me exactly what I need to do to get out of this really terrible handoff.

The US government made a decision that is forcing them into this situation.  Do a little bit of internet research.  Simply look up "kaspersky no longer available to us customers" and you'll find dozens of articles detailing what has occurred. Since your information has to be handed over to UltraAV, you'll likely have to pursue any refund with them.  Good luck, their site is getting so much traffic with people trying to get on their forums or simply research who they are that the site is currently down.

42 minutes ago, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa said:

This is BS. I don't want UltraAV and what you did violated your own TOS. You wanted to move out of the US but now you're going to have another lawsuit on your hands.

They didn't violate the TOS. I'm willing to bet dollars-to-donuts that you haven't ever read the full TOS.  This was a US government decision that forced this, therefore the company isn't in any violation.  You should probably do some research before flaming on the forums.  Good luck with that lawsuit though :classic_wink:.

2 minutes ago, babinc said:

I haven't attempted to remove K yet, but I've been trying to cancel my auto renewal subscription.

I'm getting nowhere fast.  I've tried their Chat, Email and Phone.  No phone number, no email form. Just click boxes.

Any suggestions.

It's likely due to the fact that everyone is accessing the site, so the server load is suffering through and some systems aren't able to process.  It could also be because the migration process is already started and everything is in transition for US customers.  It's quite possible you might be SOL until everything transitions and cools down.  Means you might have to wait for a couple/few weeks....maybe even a month or two.  These migration process and customer server load from accessing sites can take a minute.  Approx. 1 million US subscribers have to be migrated, that's a lot of people and a lot of them trying to access websites.

I suggest a bit of calm a patience, you'll get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babinc said:

Hello @babinc

Welcome!

On the Kaspersky Customer Service page - https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts -> select Email, then fill in first template as shown - please specify (your) Kaspersky software & include a *detailed history*

image.thumb.png.96ef16c6770f79efd53d85b422436972.png

-> underneath the template - select: Did not find your answer? Contact Customer Service-> & complete this form: 

image.thumb.png.6360f14fe73bb80456447e84263d8b30.png

*Resource*: How to turn off subscription auto-renewal - however, (ioo) -> many people find the process is easier going direct to Kaspersky Customer Service. 

Any issues or concerns, please post back?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

added template

I was able to uninstall it simply by using Ultra AVs built-in uninstaller. Then I rebooted my machine.

Sadly, I had no idea that it was Kaspersky that installed Ultra AV. I just noticed Ultra AV popup on my PC and thought it was some bloatware, or worse, malware that installed itself by somehow getting by Kaspersky. I had never head of Ultra AV before.

Installing this software without first notifying the user was a bone-headed idea on Kaspersky's part. I didn't receive any e-mail notification at all (and I checked spam folder) nor even a popup message via the Kaspersky AV app. Who thought this was a good idea?

Had Kaspersky notified me first, I may have kept the Ultra AV software in the migration. But now that it's off my computer, I may or may not go through reinstalling depending on what I can find out about the company -- because once again I have never heard of them, and I have two certifications in Cybersecurity.

Edited by BRIELL3

FYI to anyone interested in the following information:

Pango (makers of Ultra AV) was originally part of the company Aura. According to PC Magazine: "the company split so Aura could focus on family safety solutions and Pango could prioritize cybersecurity for both consumers and businesses."

Again, would have been nice to get something notifying me about this company and that it was legit, rather than finding out suddenly that this software I've never heard of had somehow installed itself.

And again, I never got the e-mail. Part of me wonders if e-mail providers such as Google and Microsoft are blocking those e-mails because I haven't received any e-mail from Kaspersky since August.