Failed to update to Windows 10 2004

Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

Tried to update Windows 10 to v 2004 (from v 1909), but it failed and rollbacked.

SetupDiag says the problem is from Kaspersky..

Do I need to uninstall it and reinstall after ?

Any other workaround?

I have KIS 20.0.14.1085 (k)

Error: SetupDiag reports Migration Gather/Apply operation failure.
Last Phase: Safe OS
Last Operation: Add [7] package E:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\e0854e67edd34a8fe55a34fee256ab7e\Microsoft-Windows-MSPaint-FoD-Package~~amd64~en-GB~10.0.19041.1
Migration Operation: apply
Migration Obejct: HKCU\Software\KasperskyLab\AVP20.0
Error:  5

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.
Recommend you move or delete the object specified "HKCU\Software\KasperskyLab\AVP20.0" and try the update again.

Last Setup Phase:
Phase Name: Safe OS
    Phase Started: 2020-06-20 14:46:37
    Phase Ended: 0001-01-01 00:00:00
    Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00
    Completed Successfully? False

Tried once more this time with KIS paused, exactly the same result.

Error 5 would be ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED

It takes 1.5h to retry (Win re-downloads the update for some reason), so I can’t really try multiple options

I’ve updated 2 pcs today without a problem. I exited Kaspersky  before each update.

Maybe they didn’t have Self Defense on ? I don’t remember if it was by default, but I do have it (didn’t try without yet).

Indeed I got back from Kaspersky Lab Technical Assistance to:
“To resolve the Windows Update issue please exit Kaspersky completely and check whether the issue persists.  “
so I will do both suggestions today (as soon as WIndows shows the update as available again :( )

Hello, @marisui 

Was your problem actually solved after closing self-defense of KIS? Plase let me know, Thanks.

Regards.

Unfortunately, I can no longer test. After the 2 failed attempts, Windows doesn’t want to show me update 2004 as available for me, trying for 3 days now

Hello, @marisui 

Was your problem actually solved after closing self-defense of KIS? Plase let me know, Thanks.

Regards.

Unfortunately, I can no longer test. After the 2 failed attempts, Windows doesn’t want to show me update 2004 as available for me, trying for 3 days now

Hello,

No problem now?

Regards.