MacBook Pro, Bandwidth usage, Kaspersky 2018, kav sending and receiving 4.5GB.

Barry S

Good morning. I am using a Macbook pro and running Kaspersky 2018. My internet usage is really big when Kaspersky is open and it slows down the entire home network. My Activity Monitor shows 'kav', which I understand is Kaspersky, sending and receiving 4.5GB. This happens even if I disable auto updates. The only way I can stop it is by quitting Kaspersky. Any suggestions?

Good morning. Macbook pro, Kaspersky 2018. My internet usage is really big when Kaspersky is open, it slows down the entire home network. My Activity Monitor shows 'kav',sending and receiving 4.5GB. This happens even if I disable auto updates. The only way I can stop it is by quitting Kaspersky. Any suggestions?
Hello Barry S, Welcome! 4.5gb send/receive sounds "extreme". (1) Please tell us MacBook Pro Operating system: name? version? build? To find the information: From the Apple menu  (in the corner of screen), choose "About This Mac" (refer: image (1) You'll see macOS name, example: macOS Mojave, followed by version number. also, click on version (number), to see: build number (2) Is the Kaspersky software: KAV, or could it be: Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac? (KIS) (3) KAV (or KIS) 2018, may I ask if you're using 2018 for a particular reason?
  1. If not, it may be the best solution is to update KAV/KIS, however, it would be good to know the Opsys details so we can guide you with the steps required.
(4) Is KAV/KIS free or licensed? (please see note at the end of my reply) Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3: image (1) Note: Kaspersky free software has (config) limitations, advertising & no Technical Support. If we know this, we ensure we never waste your time, advising you, for example: "contact Technical Support".

Hi Flood. It has always existed. I just switched off my Mac WiFi when we wanted to stream other things.
Hello Barry S, Thank you for replying. How long has KIS been installed? If you look at "Mac Activity Monitor" right now, is the send/receive 4gb+? IF "yes", without disconnecting anything, export KIS Reports, select ALL EVENTS, select 24hrs, save as a text file & upload, using the "upload" icon, in your reply: Export a report on a KIS component or task to a text file Please post back? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
HI Flood. Sorry about the delay. I have been away. Also struggled to find an 'all events' report export. Searched web but could not find anything. Sadly the link in your previous message did not help. So I have attached a generated report. Not sure if it will help. To answer your question KIS has been installed for years, and this large bandwidth usage has always been a problem.

Struggled to find an 'all events' report export. So I have attached a generated report. Not sure if it will help. To answer your question KIS has been installed for years, and this large bandwidth usage has always been a problem.
Hello Barry S, Thank you for posting back?
  1. When you look at KIS reports, are there any other Categories other than "Scan"?
If "yes" please export each category & post back please?
  1. System report, may I have a copy please, upload to cloud & pm the link please?
1) Have you ever done a full Router/Network device reset?
  1. IF "no", please let me know, I'll post the procedure?
2) Have you ever uninstalled KIS, downloaded a fresh KIS executable and reinstalled?
  1. IF "no", please let me know, I'll post the procedure?
Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3:.

Morning Flood All reports attached. Believe I did recently do a router/network reset but please send the procedure and I will check again. KIS is recently reinstalled - about 9 months ago. But the bandwidth problem was around long before that. Thanks for the on-going support. Regards Barry

All reports attached. I did recently do a router/network reset but please send the procedure and I will check again. KIS is recently reinstalled - about 9 months ago. But the bandwidth problem was around long before that.
Hello Barry S / Barry, Your welcome and you're a champion! Thanks for the reports:clap_tone3: I will send N/W reset procedures as soon as I've analysed the reports, and had a coffee:wink:, in the interim, may I have the MAC SYSTEM report and, start MAC in SAFE MODE and generate MAC SYSTEM report please? Please name reports as follows: MAC-NM-SYSREP & MAC-SM-SYSREP and post back please?
  1. Also, this is informational, not to be done atm, Mojave 10.14 is compatible with KIS2020, we need to look at that as a possible solution :thinking:TBA.
Thanks!

Morning Flood I generated the reports. These are generated as .spx files. I cannot upload them. This website blocks the upload. Tried changing the file type but could not open them. Solution? Not sure what, if anything, you want me to do about KiS 2020? Regards BarryS

I generated the reports. These are generated as .spx files. I cannot upload them. This website blocks the upload. Tried changing the file type but could not open them. Solution? Not sure what, if anything, you want me to do about KiS 2020?
Hello Barry S, Thanks for replying!
  1. Reports, please zip & upload, or, if for some reason, the .zip won't upload, upload to cloud, post link please?
  2. 2020, nope, not at this stage, just a heads up, that 2020 is out & compatible with Mojave 10.14.
  3. Let's see what's in the reports, something may need fixing and then we worry about 2020.
Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Barry S,
  1. No unfortunately. Re the reports, when they're extracted, was the only format option .spx?
  1. Are updates and regular "housekeeping", cleanup, maintenance done on the MAC?
  2. Does logging in from boot take a long time?
  3. Has a test been done with different MAC?
  4. Has test been done with a different router?
  5. Is the network internet/wifi from fixed connection service? (DSL, cable broadband. fibre optic broadband, Wi-Fi broadband. satellite and mobile broadband. dedicated leased line), (different regions use different terminology)...
  6. Is the excessive data reflected in data usage/monthly bills?
  7. Have you discussed the issue with the ISP?
  8. Have you ever discussed the issue with Kaspersky Technical Support?
  1. If "yes" what have they said?
  2. If "no", (imo) it'd be advisable to ask them please.
The Lab will ask for traces & logs, taken as the issue is replicated, and as the issue is long standing they may ask for these collections to be done multiple times. . As the MAC meets Hardware & Software compatibility requirements, they will ask you to upgrade to 2020, to see if it makes any difference to the issue, so you may wish to do that prior. Please let me know? Thank you. KIS2020

• 1 year later...