Kaspersky makes browser to memory overflow when acessing Crunchyroll's login page

I'm creating this topic since I haven't found any information about it.

For some time I'm having problems to login in my Crunchyroll account using my Windows 11 machine with Kaspersky Antivirus installed. I've noticed that every time I access the login page, my browser goes unresponsive until I finished it using the task manager.

Investigating further, I saw that when I access the page https:// sso.crunchyroll . com/login kaspersky blocks a javascript lib called dg.js, then the page tries to send it again (and blocked again).

jsblock.thumb.png.532933776997eacbf7a498c5f20826c5.png

This behavior generates a loop which make browsers (both chromium based and firefox) to memory overflow to the point where's necessary to finish it by using windows task manager

memoryoverflow.thumb.png.bb06070afe88e829478037479e20a361.png

The only workaround I've found is to exit Kaspersky and access the login page (which possibilities the download of the lib) then activate again after login.

So it is a case of false positive or there's something wrong about this specific lib? I think this case should be investigate, since causing browsers to memory overflow is problematic and this page is accessed by many users.

To reproduce the problem, you only need to access Crunchyroll's login page (it isn't necessary to have an account) and the blocking behavior can be observed by opening the browser's inspector.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Berny disse:

Thank you for answering

I've checked the page and request a reanalysis of the url https:// c . evidon . com/ dg / dg.js which is the address of the lib being blocked in this case.

I've also linked this topic in the analysis, so I hope someone can check it.

Edited by FurtadoPires
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FurtadoPires said:

I'm creating this topic since I haven't found any information about it.

For some time I'm having problems to login in my Crunchyroll account using my Windows 11 machine with Kaspersky Antivirus installed. I've noticed that every time I access the login page, my browser goes unresponsive until I finished it using the task manager.

Investigating further, I saw that when I access the page https:// sso.crunchyroll . com/login kaspersky blocks a javascript lib called dg.js, then the page tries to send it again (and blocked again).

This behavior generates a loop which make browsers (both chromium based and firefox) to memory overflow to the point where's necessary to finish it by using windows task manager. 

The only workaround I've found is to exit Kaspersky and access the login page (which possibilities the download of the lib) then activate again after login. 
So it is a case of false positive or there's something wrong about this specific lib? I think this case should be investigate, since causing browsers to memory overflow is problematic and this page is accessed by many users.

To reproduce the problem, you only need to access Crunchyroll's login page (it isn't necessary to have an account) and the blocking behavior can be observed by opening the browser's inspector.

Hello @FurtadoPires

1. Also, @Muxxer - had a similar issue: The AV is messing with the Crunchyroll login website, their topic may be of interest. 
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security 21.3 / Kaspersky Anti-Virus 21.3 are from Kaspersky's *old* software range - you may wish to upgrade (free) to Kaspersky Standard v21.16 & see if the issue persists - the link for the upgrade is: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product, & read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ by Danila T.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

1 hora atrás, Flood and Flood's wife disse:
  1. Also, @Muxxer - had a similar issue: The AV is messing with the Crunchyroll login website, their topic may be of interest. 
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security 21.3 / Kaspersky Anti-Virus 21.3 are from Kaspersky's *old* software range - you may wish to upgrade (free) to Kaspersky Standard v21.16 & see if the issue persists - the link for the upgrade is: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product, & read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ by Danila T.

Flood🐳+🐋

1 - Yes it's exactly the same problem, his print also shows the javascript lib being blocked constantly (causing the memory overflow).

2 - I'm currently using 21.16.6.467 and I suspect this might be a regression from this version, since I don't remember having this problem before the upgrade (but I also use to always being logged in Crunchyroll, so I can't be sure it didn't affected older versions).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FurtadoPires said:

1 - Yes it's exactly the same problem, his print also shows the javascript lib being blocked constantly (causing the memory overflow).

2 - I'm currently using 21.16.6.467 and I suspect this might be a regression from this version, since I don't remember having this problem before the upgrade (but I also use to always being logged in Crunchyroll, so I can't be sure it didn't affected older versions).

Hello @FurtadoPires

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. Agreed. Have the *recovery steps* been done?  
  2. (A)  Then (your) topic is in the wrong section. (B)  21.16.6.467 - is the *latest* release of Kaspersky Standard - there's also a patch but, patches are distributed progressively, so the fact it's not on your machine at the moment - is neither here nor there. 
  3. IF the *recovery steps* don't help, continue working with Kaspersky Customer Servicehttps://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, Support may request Logs, Traces & other Data, it will help to include: browser’s logs (press F12 in browser - restart the page - reproduce the issue - save the log from console tab - save HAR log from Network tab). *collect for both Firefox & Edge*
  4. Fill in the template as in the image below: con-issues-website-does-not-work.thumb.png.f807b4bd47aea4e8102577a45fb64296.png

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

15 horas atrás, Flood and Flood's wife disse:

1. (A)  Then (your) topic is in the wrong section. (B)  21.16.6.467 - is the *latest* release of Kaspersky Standard - there's also a patch but, patches are distributed progressively, so the fact it's not on your machine at the moment - is neither here nor there. 
  2. IF the *recovery steps* don't help, continue working with Kaspersky Customer Servicehttps://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, Support may request Logs, Traces & other Data, it will help to include: browser’s logs (press F12 in browser - restart the page - reproduce the issue - save the log from console tab - save HAR log from Network tab). *collect for both Firefox & Edge*
  3. Fill in the template as in the image below: con-issues-website-does-not-work.thumb.png.f807b4bd47aea4e8102577a45fb64296.png

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Thank you for answering

1 - May I request this topic to be moved to the correct section? I personally find it a little confusing to where should I open it since I'm not even sure which exactly component is responsible for the problem.

2 - I already gave a feedback following @Berny instructions, and others might have done the same because it's a problem affecting everyone judging by the other topic.

My goal opening this topic wasn't to resolve my personal case, since as I've mentioned before I can work around it by exiting Kaspersky before I log in (which isn't the best solution), but to give a feedback about this problem that might been affecting other users that are unaware of the cause.

While affecting just a specific page (despite being a popular one) isn't much of a problem, causing browsers to consume too much resources is, so I believe this should either be looked by the support team (maybe contacting Crunchyroll if it's necessary), or if it's really a dangerous component, inform users about it like it does to other pages.

Whatever is the case, expecting users to opt-in the solution shouldn't be the best course to follow.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FurtadoPires said:

1 - May I request this topic to be moved to the correct section? I personally find it a little confusing to where should I open it since I'm not even sure which exactly component is responsible for the problem.

2 - I already gave a feedback following @Berny instructions, and others might have done the same because it's a problem affecting everyone judging by the other topic.

3 -  My goal opening this topic wasn't to resolve my personal case, since as I've mentioned before I can work around it by exiting Kaspersky before I log in (which isn't the best solution), but to give a feedback about this problem that might been affecting other users that are unaware of the cause.

While affecting just a specific page (despite being a popular one) isn't much of a problem, causing browsers to consume too much resources is, so I believe this should either be looked by the support team (maybe contacting Crunchyroll if it's necessary), or if it's really a dangerous component, inform users about it like it does to other pages.

4.Whatever is the case, expecting users to opt-in the solution shouldn't be the best course to follow.

Hello @FurtadoPires

You're welcome. 

1. A mod task. They may be waiting for you to report back the results from the VLAB - we don't know. 
  2. *everyone*, ah, no, @Muxxer is one person & he did not report back (2) we tested & could not replicate. 
  3. *I'm creating this topic since I haven't found any information about it.*
  4. As you wish. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Did some more tests, and found out that the "Injection Script" (Kaspersky Standard) to be the responsible for this problem

@Flood and Flood's wife I did another report in the link you've shared, including the browser inspector logs for comparison.

2 horas atrás, Flood and Flood's wife disse:
  2. *everyone*, ah, no, @Muxxer is one person & he did not report back (2) we tested & could not replicate.

Unless the default configuration are different between users, I can guess that anyone who tries to access sso.crunchyroll . com/login with Injection Script on will mostly being affected by this.

About not being able to replicate, the only thing I can think is if the page send a different library depending on the region that the user's accessing. In that case, I would try to test using an address from Brazil (by vpn or asking someone).

Other than this, I can't think about anything else that might be different from my access to the support team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FurtadoPires said:
  1. Did some more tests, and found out that the "Injection Script" (Kaspersky Standard) to be the responsible for this problem
  2. I did another report in the link you've shared, including the browser inspector logs for comparison.
  3. Unless the default configuration are different between users, I can guess that anyone who tries to access sso.crunchyroll . com/login with Injection Script on will mostly being affected by this.
  4. About not being able to replicate, the only thing I can think is if the page send a different library depending on the region that the user's accessing. In that case, I would try to test using an address from Brazil (by vpn or asking someone).
  5. Other than this, I can't think about anything else that might be different from my access to the support team.

Hello @FurtadoPires

You're most welcome!

We've rejigged the numbering:

1. There you go. 
  2. There you go. 
  3. Our tests prove otherwise - with OR without Script Injection checked OR unchecked:                      USER_2024-03-09_141333.thumb.png.7006ec25df9b4a1bb0ccb0e4be5ab6aa.pngUSER_2024-03-09_141742.thumb.png.6ec6d47fbd8cd7dc0fb4f483dfe8dc71.png   
  4. We're not doing any further testing. IF *you* are using a VPN - localised to Brazil - has the *Protocol* been changed? 
  5. Please read: Support Rules for Kaspersky Software - *especially* 4.3. to 4.4.6 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Modifed 4.