Kaspersky Free goes completely unresponsive after "a while." [Solved][Closed]

Bert
Go to solution Solved by Berny,

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit My current AV product, Avira Antivirus Pro, underwent some really unfortunate changes recently, rendering it unusable for my purposes, so I'm looking for a replacement. I thought I'd try the free version of Kaspersky and maybe some others before buying anything. I completely uninstalled the Avira product, downloaded and installed Kaspersky Free without incident. Ran the full scan successfully. Configured a weekday quick scan and a Sunday full scan and went about my day waiting to see how it would work. A few hours later, I opened the Kaspersky Free UI to inspect a few settings and found that NONE of the UI controls would respond. I couldn't even get the program to exit. I was only able to close the UI by logging out. I repeated the process a few times and had the same result. I wanted to uninstall and re-install the product, just in case I had missed something, but was unable to uninstall. Invoking the uninstall process brought up a dialog, whose contents I'm ashamed to say I don't remember. Nonetheless, that UI was also completely unresponsive. Unfortunately, the only way out of this condition was to manually reboot. I tried the uninstall again with the same result. Since I really needed to get back to work, I gave up and restored my OS partition from last night's backup. What's going on here? I'd really like to give this product a fair test and am pretty sure it wouldn't be widely used and highly rated if this was a common problem. What am I doing wrong? What should I be looking for?

Hello Bert, Welcome! It's good to test any potential software. It's very possible you're doing nothing wrong.. Just to confirm please, atm there is no Kaspersky software installed? & May we have a GSI please? https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7 Thank you! Ref doc/s: https://help.kaspersky.com/KFA/2019/en-US/101565.htm

One last question so I'm not wasting anyone's time: The system is now back completely as it was before, with all of Avira Antivirus Pro installed and running, as well as all the other stuff. Is that the way you want to see it?