Kaspersky deletes entire Email inbox [Solved][Closed]

SolXXX
Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

Hello. So apparently Kaspersky found threats in ALREADY DELETED Emails. Those Emails don't show up anywhere, they aren't in Trash and nowhere else to be found. But they show up in the Kaspersky Scan. And when I delete them, Kaspersky deletes my entire Thunderbird inbox. Thank god I had a backup. There is no apparent way to only delete these specific Emails/attachments. I googled and it seems this exact problem already occured in 2005. I cannot believe that 14 years later there is no fix for this. So please, dear people, tell me how to delete only the infected Emails/attachments, without deleting my entire Inbox. I cannot seem to manually find those Emails anywhere.

• Solution
Hi SolXXX, welcome to the new forum. It's not a good idea to 'Parse email formats'. By default, this scan is disabled, as it can lead to data loss as in your case. TB also has a peculiarity: deleted mails are only marked as deleted. Select the folder for deleted mails (Trash?), right-click and select 'Compress' (or similar). Then deleted mails will be finally removed.

Hello SolXXX, Welcome! As well as the info posted by Schulte. Please tell us:
  1. Operating system? version? build?
KTS
  1. Version?
  2. Patch(x) x=letter?
Thunderbird
  1. Version?
----
  1. Have you checked in KTS Quarantine:
"Mail Anti-Virus renames or deletes the object from the message and adds a notification to the message subject line, stating that the message has been processed by Kaspersky Total Security. Before deleting an object, Kaspersky Total Security creates a backup copy of it and places a copy in Quarantine." https://help.kaspersky.com/KTS/2019/en-US/70873.htm ---- This article: Keeping your antivirus software from deleting your Inbox - appears to address the issue you're reporting: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Anti-virus_Software ---- Please let us know? Thanks. More reference reading: https://help.kaspersky.com/KTS/2019/en-US/82514.htm https://help.kaspersky.com/KTS/2019/en-US/87342.htm

Hi SolXXX, welcome to the new forum. It's not a good idea to 'Parse email formats'. By default, this scan is disabled, as it can lead to data loss as in your case. TB also has a peculiarity: deleted mails are only marked as deleted. Select the folder for deleted mails (Trash?), right-click and select 'Compress' (or similar). Then deleted mails will be finally removed.
Thank you. It seems the deleted emails are now finally gone. I just scanned the folder and Kaspersky did not detect anything anymore. However, I seem to somehow recall that there's a risk to compressing folders if you store them locally? I don't remember exactly, but I never compressed them before because I always thought there are downsides to it.

Hi SolXXX , if a program compresses a database that it has created itself and still maintains it, there should be no problem. I am not aware of any TB error in this direction. 'Compress' here only means delete the deleted mails from the deleted mails folder finally. It has nothing to do with a compression like e.g. in a .zip file.

Hi SolXXX , if a program compresses a database that it has created itself and still maintains it, there should be no problem. I am not aware of any TB error in this direction. 'Compress' here only means delete the deleted mails from the deleted mails folder finally. It has nothing to do with a compression like e.g. in a .zip file.
Thanks for your help. In a direct comparison, the old Kaspersky Scan scanned 59.000 files in the Thunderbird folder, after compression it it scanned 4.000 files. So I'm not sure what exactly it does, but it seems to do more than simply delete the already deleted emails.

That might depend on the attachments. If you have a .zip archive with 100 files attached, 100 or more scanned objects will be listed.
One last question. Do you know if only the folder I specifically selected will be compressed, aka "Trash"? Or will compressing by rightclicking automatically compress whole of Thunderbird? Thanks for your quick replies and help!