Is Kaspersky blocked / removed from Google Play?

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

When I searched for Kaspersky's apps on Google Play today, I didn't see any of them appear, and only other brands' antivirus.
So I used my PC to check if Kaspersky was removed from the App Store as well, but everything is fine on App Store.

Google Play:
image.thumb.png.d33805c5891caabd359ca51a871321e7.png 

App Store:
image.thumb.png.15a42c8f813e0cbb6dbe5a07d2710338.png

I know there's another method that download APK file directly from Kaspersky,
but I am still curious is Kaspersky blocked on Google Play, are those apps under maintenance, or is this a bug? 

Edited by thtmax
Separate 2 images to make them easier to read
  • Like 1

• Solution

On 9/27/2024 at 3:10 PM, thtmax said:

When I searched for Kaspersky's apps on Google Play today, I didn't see any of them appear, and only other brands' antivirus.
So I used my PC to check if Kaspersky was removed from the App Store as well, but everything is fine on App Store.

1. but I am still curious is Kaspersky blocked on Google Play, are those apps under maintenance, or is this a bug? 
  2. I know there's another method that download APK file directly from Kaspersky,

Hello @thtmax

Welcome!

1. For Google Play Store, it's not a bug.
  2. Alternative sources: Galaxy, Huawei, Xiaomi, Apple or the .APK direct download (as you've already noted), are available at: How to download Kaspersky applications on Android and iOS.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
How to download Kaspersky applications on Android and iOS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @thtmax

Welcome!

1. For Google Play Store, it's not a bug
  2. Alternative sources: Galaxy, Huawei, Xiaomi, Apple or the .APK direct download (as you've already noted), are available at: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/beforeinstall/

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Thanks for reply!

May I ask if this situation will keep going on or is it just temporary? Cuz I think it is rare to see all of Kaspersky’s products disappear from Google Play, it concerned me a little bit if something might have happened which could affect to users like me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thtmax said:

Thanks for reply!

May I ask if this situation will keep going on or is it just temporary? Cuz I think it is rare to see all of Kaspersky’s products disappear from Google Play, it concerned me a little bit if something might have happened which could affect to users like me.

Hello,

We will publish the information shortly.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

@Danila T.,

I sure hope so, very shortly.  Kaspersky has known about this US ban for some time.  I can no longer get updates from the Google Play Store, from which I downloaded two Android copies, which are now being updated by the Samsung Galaxy Store (I own two Samsung Galaxy phones).  I am a new Kaspersky Premium customer (May 2024).

If you check my past posts, you will see that I was flamed by a Forum Master and sent a PM by a Moderator for pointing out that flaming was contrary to Forum Guidelines.  That happened because the Samsung Galaxy Store updates are not current.  Happily, @Flood and Flood's wife were able finally prove, that despite being a Kaspersky newbie, I did not have the option to even determine whether my phones were a part of KSN and no option to include it or not.

I will say that I love the product, but the actions that Kaspersky has taken, and not taken, with respect to the US ban on their products, have given me serious reason to be concerned.

I live in Canada.  I don't want any product doing a silent forced installation of software that I have not explicitly consented to, just like my US neighbours.

I will also say, as a longtime respected member of many security Forums, that I have never witnessed an English Forum as "locked down" as this one.  You have your Forum Guidelines, which include the nebulous condition that Moderators will be obeyed and can make up their own rules.

I don't know if the Russian Forums are so constrained, but the impression that the English Forums leaves with a newbie is that you better learn our rules, and you had better learn them fast, that is, if you can find them.

Kaspersky is such a great product.  The corporate communications strategy does not begin to do it justice.  I suspect that they will be teaching the Kaspersky response to the US ban in MBA courses as to how to do it wrong.

You will, I hope, pardon me.  I have US friends and family.  Kaspersky has let them, and me, down.

I live in Canada.  I can't get current K updates for my phones from the Google Play Store.  As a customer, I am weary of waiting for solutions from K.

Respectfully submitted,
Phil

15 hours ago, Danila T. said:

Hello,

We will publish the information shortly.

Im not sure how long "shortly" is, but your reply was 15 hours ago and im not finding any new info in this thread and forum.

Does the APK file method work without any issues? Any limitations? What about app updates?

When I go to All Features > Update antivirus database, is that enough to get all the updates or do we need to download a new APK with every new version? Please explain this to your current users.

I think you guys should do the same as what AdGuard does with their app, all the app updates can be served directly within the app (Google Play doesn't allow ad-blocking apps, so APK is the only way to install it and all the updates are available with a click of a button).

d419dc29-85f4-41fd-ad13-8719a944d7ae.thumb.jpg.54967be4a31140d172ecb4ea8e1264b6.jpg 15e12588-76bd-4cbc-a610-96efc0877f6a.thumb.jpg.3e5e416a5801f1f6292a3049aef0ce41.jpg

Edited by BlackEdition

9 hours ago, BlackEdition said:

When I go to All Features > Update antivirus database, is that enough to get all the updates or do we need to download a new APK with every new version?

You must download APK file from store  when new version is out. Virus definitions are only small updates against viruses... 

@RandheerSingh as alternative you should download APK file directly to your phone via website. Simply select APK or any other store and also region. 

Screenshot_20240928_095011_Brave.jpg

3 hours ago, nexon said:

You must download APK file from store  when new version is out. Virus definitions are only small updates against viruses... 

Is this an official answer or do you not represent Kaspersky?

It's easy for them to implement a way to update within the app itself without having to re-install with every new version (just like I showed with AdGuard). If we need to download a new APK file with every update, then I would have to find a different security solution on my Android device.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nexon said:

Every app must be downloaded from store. So Kaspersky also. You can't update whole app via virus definitions. That's logical. 

But if you want you can ask tech support. 

Hello @nexon

The issue is not about about downloading Kaspersky apps. 

The issue is not about the source of Kaspersky apps.

The issue is not about updating Kaspersky virus definitions. 

The issue *is* about the availability of Kaspersky app(s) functioning in the same *seamless* manner it/they previously functioned when it/they was/were available in GPS & now no longer does/do

Regarding contacting support - why? 

@Danila T. has already advised Kaspersky are across the issue.

The issue was formally raised with Kaspersky - Friday, 9 August 2024. One month and 20 days ago. 

Hello @BlackEdition, ioo, when @Danila T. wrote his post -> it was Friday 27th September, 16:44, we strongly suspect he was heading home for a weekend off - after a seriously crap week - we don't think "We will publish the information shortly" means - there will be a statement within 24 hours - happy to be proven wrong. 

Please wait patiently. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 1

@Flood and Flood's wife,

Thank you for your information.  I most certainly hope that a response and fix from Kaspersky is forthcoming soon.

I followed @nexon's advice and downloaded the current .apk from Kaspersky, but my Legal is still dated 2022, with no option to opt in or out of KSN.  It appears that this might be country-specific, but my Kaspersky Premium account is Canadian, purchased directly from Kaspersky in May 2024.

I can very well understand that @Danila T. had a "seriously crap week" last week.  He is on the "front lines," taking a lot of criticism from frustrated users, myself included.  I doubt that he was the one who decided that this is how Kaspersky would mishandle the US ban of Kaspersky products.

I was so seriously frustrated that I began researching alternatives to Kaspersky.  I left Bitdefender for various reasons.  Kaspersky is so much better than anything else that is out there.  For now, I am going to stick it out because I really don't want to downgrade my cybersecurity because of this imbroglio.

Perhaps naively, I am hoping that Kaspersky seriously improves its corporate communications and decisions as a result of this mess.

Kaspersky is such a great product. It is a real shame what happened to the company and its US customers as a result of the US ban.  Let us hope we have hit bottom, and because of the lessons learned, it will be onward and upward for Kaspersky going forward, with a renewed focus on customer rights.

You are quite right. I think we need to hit the "Pause" button now.  I am sure Kaspersky is by now aware of its customers' well-founded concerns with how the corporation has handled this so far.  Let's give them some time to rectify this mess.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil